Is it too early to say Rico Verhoeven is the GOAT HW Kickboxer

He isn't even close to Semmy Schilt. Aerts and Hoost ar ealso ahead of Verhoeven but Schilt is by far the most accomplished kickboxer the only reason people put Aerts or hoost ahea dof him is his size

He isn't even close to Semmy Schilt. Aerts and Hoost ar ealso ahead of Verhoeven but Schilt is by far the most accomplished kickboxer the only reason people put Aerts or hoost ahea dof him is his size

Aerts beat Schilt 3-2 nearly a decade after his prime.

Aerts>Schilt>>Hoost.

Peter Aerts imo

Most dominate doesn't exactly equate to "greatest". Aerts was there from the start to finish competing in WGP's, won WGP's, and beat everyone including Schilt. He's the GOAT.

Most dominate doesn't exactly equate to "greatest". Aerts was there from the start to finish competing in WGP's, won WGP's, and beat everyone including Schilt. He's the GOAT.

He was there from start to finish and yet has less WGP wins than Hoost and Schilt.
Hoost is 4-2 vs Aerts too.
Aerts never beat Badr Hari or Rico, only lost to them. Schilt has beat both.

I don't see Aerts as being above Hoost or Schilt.

The fact that he was competative (wins over Bonjasky, Zimmerman, Teixiera, Saki) way out of his prime outweighs the fact that he only won 3 GPs.

I don't understand how you can say Hoost is 4-2 over Aerts and use that as a basis for your argument but conveniently forget that Aerts is 3-2 over Schilt who is 2-0 over Hoost.

And for what it's worth, I've always seen it as Hoost > Schilt > Aerts.

I'm only saying Aerts is not above them as GOAT and explained why, I'm not saying Hoost and Schilt are above Aerts. For me all 3 of them are the GOAT's of HW kickboxing.
Also your logic of X beats Y and Y beats Z so Z is better than X doesn't work in fight sports, styles make fights and it's not as defined as mathematics.

Schilt was past his prime as well and looked bad during the GP. Also styles make fights and Schilt has overall the better resume

Aerts beat Schilt in the 2006-2010 span where Schilt won most his K-1 WGPs, hardly seems fair to call that past his prime. Heck Schilts best performance was 2009. Aerts was the only man to ever stop him in a tournament run.

Semmy came into K-1 when there was only 3 or 4 fighters at the most who could test him Hoost was well past it, Aerts was past his prime but still holds a winning rec against him, Remy was too scared, and Hari was a nutjob. The reason people don't list him at #1 is due to that not because of his size. If Hari wasn't so damn chinny and fuck'd in the head he would or should have won a couple of the GP Semmy won. By the time Schilt did come over to Kickboxing K-1 had already ruined their HW division with freakshow bs. K-1 was already on it's way down when Semmy won his titles.

Semmy came into K-1 when there was only 3 or 4 fighters at the most who could test him Hoost was well past it, Aerts was past his prime but still holds a winning rec against him, Remy was too scared, and Hari was a nutjob. The reason people don't list him at #1 is due to that not because of his size. If Hari wasn't so damn chinny and fuck'd in the head he would or should have won a couple of the GP Semmy won. By the time Schilt did come over to Kickboxing K-1 had already ruined their HW division with freakshow bs. K-1 was already on it's way down when Semmy won his titles.

Hoost lost twice to one of those freakshows. Aerts is the Bernard Hopkins/Dan henderso of kickboxing his legacy is enhanced by his longevity but I don't think thqt longevity at an elite level is enough to make him #1

I think the problem with "GOAT" discussions is that everybody has a different interpretation of what exactly that means. For me it's not just some numbers math equation.

We seemingly all agree that Aerts, Hoost, and Schilt are the top 3 choices however.

Hoost lost twice to one of those freakshows. Aerts is the Bernard Hopkins/Dan henderso of kickboxing his legacy is enhanced by his longevity but I don't think thqt longevity at an elite level is enough to make him #1

You can't just judge Aerts on the tailend of his career.

Aerts was a prodigy. Youngest ever K-1 champ (23), first to win two GPs consecutively, holder of record for the shortest run up to the title ('98) for over a decade, and all this he accomplished when competition was at its height and he himself was drinking and partying. On top that already superstar career, he has the longevity accomplishments. Full attendance of all WGPs from '93-2010, defeating the #1 HW first in 1992 and last in 2010, WGP finalist in 2006, 2007, 2010.

If anything, Aerts is like Ali. Superprodigy that everyone wrote off but still managed to be competitive to the end of their career.

Last edited:
You can't just judge Aerts on the tale end of his career.

Aerts was a prodigy. Youngest ever K-1 champ (23), first two win two GPs consecutively, holder of record for the shortest run up to the title ('98), and all this he accomplished when competition was at its height and he himself was drinking and partying. On top that already superstar career, he has the longevity accomplishments. Full attendance of all WGPs from '93-2010, defeating the #1 HW first in 1992 and last in 2010, WGP finalist in 2006, 2007, 2010.

If anything, Aerts is like Ali. Superprodigy that everyone wrote off but still managed to be competitive to the end of their career.

this is why Aerts is legit as the GOAT

Y'all crazy...

Obviously the GOAT McGregor would beat all these guys

Don't compare Aerts to Hendo it's just embarrassing Aerts was always top level Dan is barely hanging on and if it wasn't for Shogun and Lombard fights he wouldn't be relevant.

Hey now, let's not start diminishing Dan Henderson's awesomeness. I think that was a pretty fair comparison.

Hey now, let's not start diminishing Dan Henderson's awesomeness. I think that was a pretty fair comparison.

Its true though, Henderson has never really had a legit prolonged spell at the very top of the sport, theres the dodgy decision over Nog and being #1 in a very disorganised MW division but that's not close to Aerts's in the mid 90's.

Obviously they didn't have identical careers but they do share commonality in longevity, toughness, and personality.

Obviously they didn't have identical careers but they do share commonality in longevity, toughness, and personality.

The difference being in Aerts case that's also combined with an extended run at the very top of the sport.

Back