Is it time for the UFC to..

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Start enforcing a Mandatory challenger rule similar to what we see in boxing...

This will help curve some of these ranking skipping title shots and give some merit to the rankings again and also keep champions in check who once they win titles..become fight shy or duck masters..like Conor and his stay ready and Bisping I want old man Hendo for revenge..

For those that are not familiar with this rule.. every champion apon winning a belt is given a mandatory challenger that they must fight next then negotiations are open for other contender fights after this...this ensures the champion is facing the highest most accurate challenger first the moves on to other fights ..if victorious

I think it's a good idea TS, the only thing I could see causing problems for me as a viewer is sometimes he match we all want to see isn't that contender fight. And I don't want to lose a certain level of entertainment value. However I agree that choices like brick lesnar title shot are totally ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

This will help curve some of these ranking skipping title shots and give some merit to the rankings again and also keep champions in check who once they win titles..become fight shy or duck masters..like Conor and his stay ready and Bisping I want old man Hendo for revenge..

For those that are not familiar with this rule.. every champion apon winning a belt is given a mandatory challenger that they must fight next then negotiations are open for other contender fights after this...this ensures the champion is facing the highest most accurate challenger first the moves on to other fights ..if victorious
LOL at the idea that boxing does a better job of ensuring champs face the most “accurate challenger” than the ufc does.

Would be a good idea for a sports organisation

Unfortunately this is entertainment hence the title mess we have right now

LOL at the idea that boxing does a better job of ensuring champs face the most “accurate challenger” than the ufc does.
This. Boxing is broken from each and every angle you look at it.

There is nothing the ufc should be taking from boxing to implement into our sport

How about "No, Dana would choose the best opponent for the champion because he knows better"?!?!

too much negotiating for money. Dana doesn't have much time left...

This. Boxing is broken from each and every angle you look at it.

There is nothing the ufc should be taking from boxing to implement into our sport

Lol. The promoter and the sanctioning body aka the league president are the same goof.
Fighters have no rights or protections.

That's a bit snobby.

I think it's a good idea TS, the only thing I could see causing problems for me as a viewer is sometimes he match we all want to see isn't that contender fight. And I don't want to lose a certain level of entertainment value. However I agree that choices like brick lesnar title shot are totally ridiculous.

They give a certain amount of time to make the big fight.....if the fight is not made by that time, the champion then must face the mandatory challenger.
If the fight is made, the mandatory is payed a fee to step aside.

Example: while bisping was trying to make a fight with gsp....he would've been given a date to make the match by....if he couldn't, bisping would've had to face Yoel. If bisping was able to make the fight he has to pay yoel a fee for making him wait if yoel allows it.

I like the idea. Also if I'm not mistaken the mandatory can choose not to step aside and try to block the fight or make the the champion face him first. Pretty much what TS said lol.

Make sense but it would infringe on Dana doing whatever the fawk he wants so it'll never happen.

I guess this mandatory challenge needs more in-depth explanation
Each challenger for each weight class varies
At flyweight you need atleast 3 wins to be a considered a top 5 and 4 for a title shot.

Bantamweight
you need either 3 knuckle bumps from Bruce Buffer along with a minimum 2 knockouts.
Or 6-7 wins to be a top contender and a Dana White title fight “fill in.”
Titles can be stripped in this division.

Featherweight
you need 4 wins of a ranked opponent. Then a solid 2-3 wins in top 5 to get a shot.
Or 5 convincing knockouts

Lightweight
At least 6 wins to be a top 10
If you beat 8 people you get an ” interim championship”
You can also talk your way into a title shot in this division and any
“ close fight or draw” requires a trilogy
This is also a division where you get title shots for “ just showing up to the event clause” also winner of this title gets at least 6 months to a year off due to injury or vacation

Welterweight- history shows 6 seems to be the magic number to get considered however actually getting a shot is trickier.
You can sit out almost a year after giving your opponent a fluke injury and just Jump the line.
After you win your “ interim championship “ which should make you a champion yet it doesn’t. You wait for the “ Undisputed Champion “ to fight his “#1 contender .” Also wait to see if you trend enough on twitter to fight and hope to god you have a relevance to the champions legacy.

Middleweight- 1 fight 92 seconds 95% strike average as a badass moonwalk dance you get a shot.
Or the. Loong way... which is solid 3-4 wins against anyone in murderers row . This division is where the “ mandatory challenger” system actually works.
Light heavyweight.
Title shots have been handed out after a single win. Since that exception it’s usually 2POTN and 3 wins on top to get a shot at gold.

Heavyweight-4 WOW knockouts all need to be POTN. Either that or get used to the reference “gatekeeper”

Last edited:
There have been a handful of title shots - and #1 contender shots - that make little sense from a meritocratic perspective. Hendo v Bisping is probably the most extreme example.

I don’t blame you, since the money chasing has pushed much of this sport so far down the “money fight - merit” spectrum that most of us are resentful and grasping for a better way.

But be careful what you wish for, especially when you’re wishing for an external regulation.

Because if you think “it couldn’t get worse”, you’re wrong.

From the matchmaking point of view the UFC is more "democratic" than boxing.

The UFC is like the jungle, only the strong survive, you have young prospects facing each other early in their careers or being fed to experienced fighters (like Pedersoli facing Alex Oliveira in his second UFC bout).
Boxing is all about creating "megastars", building them slowly.
When they are ripe for the plucking, the most money can be generated, only then, they make them face each others.

Stephen A. wondering why the UFC doesn't protect their biggest stars like Conor or Jones instead of making them face the best opposition available after they were away form the sport.

Curb*

While I agree that boxing is corrupted way more then MMA ..the mandatory challenger is one thing that they have correct.. it stops Ludicrous match ups like Brock Lesnar ..or McGregor getting the shot at Alvarez's title without defending the FW title first agaisnt Aldo..

It would solve alot of the chaoticness that surrounds almost every title fight as of late and present a clear path to the title for fighters coming up

While I agree that boxing is corrupted way more then MMA ..the mandatory challenger is one thing that they have correct.. it stops Ludicrous match ups like Brock Lesnar ..or McGregor getting the shot at Alvarez's title without defending the FW title first agaisnt Aldo..

It would solve alot of the chaoticness that surrounds almost every title fight as of late and present a clear path to the title for fighters coming up
It solves none of that as we see with boxing. And in boxing we see guys move up all the time to fight for a title in a division they have little credentials.

It solves none of that as we see with boxing. And in boxing we see guys move up all the time to fight for a title in a division they have little credentials.

UFC has a chance to improve on the model ...or not go the same root they have

Back