Is it that bad to be skinny ?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Jairo, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jairo White Belt

Jairo
    Hi guys !

First off, I’m a newbie when it comes to fighting and fitness and I’m kind of lost. I made some research about it and all I found were guys trying to gain weight. Also I apologize for poor English.

I’m actually 162cm (5’, 4”) for 50kg (110lb). I’ve been training boxing during 2 years and just switched to muay thai a few month ago. I always felt skinny, everyone around me say I am. My first coach told me to eat more and gain weight. So I did and at one point I was 55kg (120lb) , not that much of gain but I got sick of eating that much food and gave up. It felt horrible to be full all day and feeling nauseous all the time.

I’m still very concerned (and feel bad) about it. So I asked my new coach and he said “if you’re in perfect shape, weight doesn’t matter”. He thinks I shouldn’t worry at all because I train as hard as the big guys in the gym.

So I had a coach that told me I’m in very bad shape do to my weight and one that says it’s all good.

What’s your thoughts about it? Can you be skinnier than normal and be healthy? Is it worth it to force yourself into gaining weight? Does it really matter outside of looking good?

Newbie questions, kind regards!

2. Quinton Overeem Purple Belt

Quinton Overeem
    No it's good for your heart longevity. Make sure to have your daily vitamin intakes from food (vegetables, fruits, spices, herbs, nuts).

3. Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

Seriously-Dead
    There's nothing inherently wrong with it, especially if you don't have to go to any particular effort to maintain that low of a weight. As long as you're fighting guys your size, it's not a big deal. For life in general, or in non-weight class sports, being that light is a clear disadvantage in terms of absolute strength.

I wouldn't let your weight go down any further though, and I don't think it would hurt at all for you to increase your weight - especially if you're young and still growing. If you don't like feeling nauseous and full but want to gain weight, maybe take a step back and re-evaluate your diet a bit. Are there foods that you digest quickly and could eat more of? Anything you could take out that might be a bit hard on your GI system?

Ultimately it's your body and your call. It's not unhealthy for you to be that light though, as long as you're eating nutritious food it's all good.

Lethal likes this.
  4. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    Are you male or female?

5. Bekim Green Belt

Bekim
    I thought you was Bi..........does it matter........or are you the type that goes through stages of liking 1 particular sex at a time

6. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    Oh no, I've been accused of being a homosexual on the interwebz. Mercy me!

Eat a dick. It was a legit question.

7. JSnake Green Belt

JSnake
    There's nothing wrong with being skinny from a health perspective, if you're predisposed to being that weight with a normal diet, then that's simply where your body wants to be. The obsession with gaining mass/bodybuilding is more associated with western culture. But in eastern medical theory, like TCM, overeating is seen as detrimental to your health, since it strains your digestive system and can stagnate the flow of energy in your body.

From a fighting perspective, technique is able to overcome a bigger, stronger, less skilled opponent; but when the opponent's skill is on par with their size, then you're going to have problems:

8. frango Blue Belt

frango
    how old are you?

when you get to your mid 30 you will probably gain weight.
    And maybe you will wish that you had built muscle when it was easier...

if you are a total noob, have you ever heard about whey protein?
    if you want to be bigger you can try eating more protein, maybe whey isolate will not bother your GI.
    and eat good fats. like almonds. they taste good and are very caloric, you will add calories to your diet and still be healthy.

and yeah, some girls dig the skinny look.

9. Bekim Green Belt

Bekim

So was mine..........<45>

10. Codger Brown Belt

Codger
    Depends on your build. It's likely to be pretty miserable to fight your genes for your whole life.

I've got two kids. The girl is solid and prone to overweight like me. The boy is super puny like my wife's side of the family. He's never going to look like Arnie. She's never gonna look like Kate Moss.

The magazines, movies and other media present these idealised body-images that people buy into. Men are, apparently, supposed to be very muscular yet have low body fat. Most of the guys in the pictures you see are on juice anyway. It's got into everyone's heads and makes anyone (99% of the population) who doesn't meet the ideal feel shit. Fuck that. The best you can do is to keep healthy. Workout if you want to but don't expect miracles.

Given that martial arts tend to have weight classes, being skinny can be an advantage. You can get strong and skinny and make that advantage bigger. Small people tend to move faster and have a higher power:weight ratio which is useful for all sorts of activities.

WandySaku2 likes this.
  11. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    Lol.

12. Contempt black belt in couch-fu

Contempt
    Why? The difference in your metabolism between your 20's and 30's is very minimal. Getting fat in your 30's is a CHOICE.

37 and weigh less than I did for most of my 20's. Keep active, keep a decent diet and there is no reason at all why you should get fat in your 30's or even 40's.

j123 likes this.
  13. frango Blue Belt

frango

Well...if you stay active and eat decent food then you can probably stay in shape, you are right.

At least what i see around me is all my friends getting fat now that they barelly reached 30/31yo
    But they all drink and eat like pigs and know nothing about how good it feels to lift and/or practice combat sports. I dunno.

Me myself had to start TRT this year when ill be 32.
    So, for me it was a big difference between 20's and 30's.

but i am an exception so you might be correct.

14. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    This.
    Even when you're alot the older, the difference on your TDEE is by 100-200 calories.

Most of the time its due to a decrase in activity level. You do have more responsibilities as you get older like a competitive career, family, kids, etc. That coupled with getting sloppy and going over your maintence will lead to weight gain

frango likes this.