Is it really pointless to travel to other countries all the time to just focus on training?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So is it really pointless to just travel to other countries all the time to just focus on training? I have been having some trouble getting to my gym in nyc. Due to me working mad hours (mostly until 1am sometimes i don't get home until 2am or 3am), so a thought just occurred to me if i can just go to other countries to train. I've been only able to go to my gym 2 days a week, because i have a problem waking up, because i get home 1am,2am and sometimes 3am. So what i was thinking was i could travel to places like brazil, indonesia, netherlands, ukraine, canada, and/or thailand (which i'm already planning a trip for). I just need time to train, my work schedule doesn't work well my instructors schedule in my gym in nyc, and i do not want to sign a contract with any gym, which is why i don't train in new jersey.

Go to other countries and spar with people, and see what other styles, types are out there, and what kind of athletes those other countries have out there. It is like a scouting trip.

Go to other countries and spar with people, and see what other styles, types are out there, and what kind of athletes those other countries have out there. It is like a scouting trip.

Yeah thats one way of looking at it, the other is trying to save money working your ass off, to go to those other countries and just focus on training. I was thinking of going to thailand for muay thai, brazil for grappling and striking, ukraine to learn some wrestling and boxing and maybe kickboxing, netherlands for boxing and kickboxing, indonesia for mma since my instructor keeps referring me to that gym. I just don't know if its really necessary, because i know fighters and they never had a problem like this?And i feel thats my only option because of my work schedule and i'm going to be working a 2nd job too soon. I just hope my tax refund is at least $1.5k.

If you ever go to the russia or former ussr countries look for judo or sambo. Also do not forget about mexico or cuba for boxing.

If you ever go to the russia or former ussr countries look for judo or sambo. Also do not forget about mexico or cuba for boxing.

I forgot about those countries, i actually have a friend whose puerto rican, he was a pro boxer in puerto rico. Is puerto rico a good place to learn boxing too, or is it all spanish countries good at that shit?

Edit: i just thought of something too, i could bring my friend thats like a sister to me to puerto rico, since shes puerto rican and has been trying to go their for nearly 2 years. So if the gyms are good in puerto rico i can take her their, maybe late next year.

Last edited:
100% man. I mean at the end of the day imo sports progression is all about consistency. Who spends more hours will end up ahead man. Those who say otherwise probs havent achieved much. What art do you train?

I compete in shinkyokushin karate not mma so bit diff but since Australians arent the strongest quite a few fighters from our dojo (i myself am going to thailand for a month in a couple of weeks) have gone to eastern europe or especially Japan to train for a bit.

Go to the right country for the right art and you get to train spar with the best from all around the world. You learn a lot from it too!

Imo if you love fight sports it is definitely an experience to go to another country and train if you can afford it. It is the whole experience and the lifestyle that comes with it. How cool is it to travel and do fight sports? It is super cool. It can be super useful if you are open to new experiences and learn, just like traveling is useful if you open to new experiences and cultures.

And the best positive - you can bang some new chicks :D from different countries.

100% man. I mean at the end of the day imo sports progression is all about consistency. Who spends more hours will end up ahead man. Those who say otherwise probs havent achieved much. What art do you train?

I compete in shinkyokushin karate not mma so bit diff but since Australians arent the strongest quite a few fighters from our dojo (i myself am going to thailand for a month in a couple of weeks) have gone to eastern europe or especially Japan to train for a bit.

Go to the right country for the right art and you get to train spar with the best from all around the world. You learn a lot from it too!

I train muay thai, boxing mostly, and sometimes mma. I have been training for nearly 5 years.

I forgot about those countries, i actually have a friend whose puerto rican, he was a pro boxer in puerto rico. Is puerto rico a good place to learn boxing too, or is it all spanish countries good at that shit?

Edit: i just thought of something too, i could bring my friend thats like a sister to me to puerto rico, since shes puerto rican and has been trying to go their for nearly 2 years. So if the gyms are good in puerto rico i can take her their, maybe late next year.
lol bro, you heard about what happened in Pr lately? dont go there. I would go to those other places while you are young. You wont be able to when you are older.

Have you been to russia? How was it training over their though? I'll go to russia for sambo, but not judo, judo they're going to break my back and then i'm going to be out of training for a long time.

Have you been to russia? How was it training over their though? I'll go to russia for sambo, but not judo, judo they're going to break my back and then i'm going to be out of training for a long time.
No I wish but I hope to go sometime in the future. There is one poster on sherdog called sambosteve that owns a school for sambo in new york he is the guy to ask about sambo gyms in Russia.

Don't got time to train but got time to travel to other countries ?

Is that Jersy contract a management contract or are you being stingy in paying 1-2 years membership fees ?

Last edited:
Don't got time to train but got time to travel to other countries ?

Is that Jersy contract a management contract or are you being stingy in paying 1-2 tears membership fees ?

I am not even going to respond to that, it really doesn't deserve a response.

I am not even going to respond to that, it really doesn't deserve a response.

Why ? I wasn't flaming you I didn't get your reasoning. We're a comunity here to help inspire entertain and support.

Why ? I wasn't flaming you I didn't get your reasoning. We're a comunity here to help inspire entertain and support.

Because it should be obvious, i'm trying to broad my base, and go to other countries to train and evolve, if i stayed training in america my whole career, i wouldn't be evolving as much, so when i have enough money i will travel to other countries and take time off from work. I know you weren't flamming me i just thought it should be obvious.

Because it should be obvious, i'm trying to broad my base, and go to other countries to train and evolve, if i stayed training in america my whole career, i wouldn't be evolving as much, so when i have enough money i will travel to other countries and take time off from work. I know you weren't flamming me i just thought it should be obvious.

Weird I swear. Anyways. Thats gon take a looooot of money.

Career ? You got a career ?

Also just work out twice a day at a good gym eat a good diet get plenty of sleep worry bout the rest later like changing whole continents when you haven't done anything likely where you are at but got work no work no money for anything.

Good luck !

Also just work out twice a day at a good gym eat a good diet get plenty of sleep worry bout the rest later like changing whole continents when you haven't done anything likely where you are at but got work no work no money for anything.

Good luck !

Good luck !

I'm only going to other countries because i'll get better training and i've been training for nearly 5 years. I had 1 street boxing match in the hood, and i had 1 smoker in july of 2016. I'm working on getting another smoker by jan or feb, but i need to prove to my instructor once again that i'm serious which i did before, but now i got to do it again.

I'm only going to other countries because i'll get better training and i've been training for nearly 5 years. I had 1 street boxing match in the hood, and i had 1 smoker in july of 2016. I'm working on getting another smoker by jan or feb, but i need to prove to my instructor once again that i'm serious which i did before, but now i got to do it again.
If you are a decent enough kicker I would put all my time into learning to box. Find a real old school boxing gym. Another thing you can do is see if you can hire a highschool or college coach to teach you some wrestling. Unless you are looking for a good time there is no need to travel to become a great mma fighter.

If you are a decent enough kicker I would put all my time into learning to box. Find a real old school boxing gym. Another thing you can do is see if you can hire a highschool or college coach to teach you some wrestling. Unless you are looking for a good time there is no need to travel to become a great mma fighter.

Hire? I'm on a low budget, maybe i should, ok you have a point their but its a matter of waking up and working schedule, yes i could become a good mma fighter without travelling, but i live in nj and train in nyc, which sometimes it is hard for me to get over their, other times its just that i didn't get enough sleep and set an alarm and fell back asleep without even knowing it when the alarm woke me up, i'll plan this trip to thailand first, and then i'll see what i can do about my schedule and what not i think i might need to take sleeping medicine or something. But if i can't make my work schedule work with my training schedule then i'ma just train the 2 days a week maybe 3 and then travel to other countries, just seems like a good idea my cousin reccomends it to me all the time.

Hire? I'm on a low budget, maybe i should, ok you have a point their but its a matter of waking up and working schedule, yes i could become a good mma fighter without travelling, but i live in nj and train in nyc, which sometimes it is hard for me to get over their, other times its just that i didn't get enough sleep and set an alarm and fell back asleep without even knowing it when the alarm woke me up, i'll plan this trip to thailand first, and then i'll see what i can do about my schedule and what not i think i might need to take sleeping medicine or something. But if i can't make my work schedule work with my training schedule then i'ma just train the 2 days a week maybe 3 and then travel to other countries, just seems like a good idea my cousin reccomends it to me all the time.
I just meant a few wrestling lessons. maybe you could have a friend do it with you so you could pay together. Muay thai is great for muay thai but for mma I think boxing is alot more straight forward.

Back