Is it profitable to have 3 heels?

thebesteva21

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
In the wake of Uriah Fabers retirement, the UFC not only lost its most profitable fighter of the division, but one of its perennial "good guys", someone who the the hardcore fans and masses generally want to see win.

Dominic Cruz has always been disliked by the hardcore fans during is rivalry with Faber, and mostly ignored by the masses. His strange fighting style and tendency to get injured hurt his rating stock, and over the years Dominic has never been able to fully shed the bad guy persona. Most people still generally root for him to lose, wether for style or personality flaws. His recent role as prominent analyst has looked to help his image, but could also lead to a earlier exit to his fighting career. Why stick around and put your body through punishment when you have a bigger paycheck waiting behind a commentator desk? Also his bad guy image was really the only angle he had, and being a well spoken commentator can only hurt this.

The void created by Uriahs departure, coupled with TJ unexpectantlty becoming one of the most hated fighters in the UFC with his camp switch, opened the door for Cody Gandbrandt to take on the baby face role. Unfortanently for the UFC, his antics on this TUF season clearly shows Cody is not your standerd role model, and is becoming less liked by viewers with each episode. With TJ seemingly stuck as the "snake", UFC is starting to push a 'heel vs heel' rivalry.

The question is, can this be profitable? Never have we seen the top 3 fighters in a division so disliked, yet also so engaging. Cody brings in a viewer friendly fighting style and intreging looks, but seems to distance himself with likability when he opens his mouth. And his next two opponents, for now, both are already entrenched in the bad guy roles.

I am very interested how this division plays out rating wise. The hardcore fans clearly love it, and UFC is trying to push it further. By years end this 3-way rivalry could possibly be one of the UFCs most valuable commodities.

I don't think they are disliked.
Cody & that kid is very inspirational IMO

Cruz disliked by hardcores?! Nonsense

Need 50% heels/50% good guys

That's how the WWF got so big in the 80s

i dunno ts. i think you lose money by spending dollars on high heels.

I don't think they are disliked.
Cody & that kid is very inspirational IMO

I guess to clarify, I think Cody is slowly becoming more disliked with each episode, and by the end of TUF he may fully be a heel. I think we have something similar to the Chael vs Wandy season, where everyone went into the season disliking Chael and rooting for Wandy, but by the end most ended up switching stances due to Wandys childish behavior. But in this case I don't think people will embrace TJ like they ended up doing with Chael.

Cruz disliked by hardcores?! Nonsense

People respect his abilities, I'll give you that, but liked? Guy is injured more then Cain, puts on awkward fights, and used to trash Faber like no other. These forums used to trash Dominic.

A feel good story doesn't override his numerous bad qualities

What bad qualities?
He is not doing anything that disgusting.
He is a PRIZE FIGHTER

I guess to clarify, I think Cody is slowly becoming more disliked with each episode, and by the end of TUF he may fully be a heel.

Ok, but not enough are even watching TUF now to change perception.
RR's season was a lot more popular & she came across horrible & the masses still loved her.

I think sometimes, hardcores forget most others don't care as much.

Plus they are PRIZE FIGHTERS & not supposed t be Derek Jeter (who I am a huge fan of) ... they punch people in the face. A bit of a "heel" is normal

What bad qualities?
He is not doing anything that disgusting.
He is a PRIZE FIGHTER

Ok, but not enough are even watching TUF now to change perception.
RR's season was a lot more popular & she came across horrible & the masses still loved her.

I think sometimes, hardcores forget most others don't care as much.

Plus they are PRIZE FIGHTERS & not supposed t be Derek Jeter (who I am a huge fan of) ... they punch people in the face. A bit of a "heel" is normal
The dude is an over dramatic, insecure little man who happens to be dumber than a 2nd coat of paint. He's a great fighter(and much more entertaining than many box-wrestler), but his act on the show is so contrived

Dominick Cruz was never the bad guy lol, pretty much everyone was rooting from to beat TJ

and TJ Dillashaw is slowly turning face where as Cody is slowly turning heel

Dominick Cruz was never the bad guy lol, pretty much everyone was rooting from to beat TJ

and TJ Dillashaw is slowly turning face where as Cody is slowly turning heel

Have you been a fan since WEC days? From right around when the WEC/UFC merger happened until recently, Dominic was clearly disliked and rooted against. He MAY have been rooted for during the TJ fight, but only because the TJ "snake" incident. He always came off the wrong way to fans, and seemed way too arrogant, especially after the 2nd Faber fight when a lot of people thought Faber won.

TJ may slowly turn face though.

Have you been a fan since WEC days? From right around when the WEC/UFC merger happened until recently, Dominic was clearly disliked and rooted against. He MAY have been rooted for during the TJ fight, but only because the TJ "snake" incident. He always came off the wrong way to fans, and seemed way too arrogant, especially after the 2nd Faber fight when a lot of people thought Faber won.

TJ may slowly turn face though.

Yea srry, he was viewed by most the heel when he was feuding with Faber, but when he returned after a 3 acl tears and beat TJ he won alot of the fans hearts with his comeback story

In the wake of Uriah Fabers retirement, the UFC not only lost its most profitable fighter of the division, but one of its perennial "good guys", someone who the the hardcore fans and masses generally want to see win.

Dominic Cruz has always been disliked by the hardcore fans during is rivalry with Faber

tl,dr

<{cruzshake}>

it worked for these guys
5d871b16507de946fdf73551fd781c456e4ca61c_hq.jpg

idk why exactly but I feel that a brutal ko loss would be a good thing for neck tat or at least I'd please me

I don't know but as a hardcore mma and wwe fan, this is an awesome dynamic to watch. Three top guys who all wants to be the douchey version of "alpha" tearing each other down is great entertainment.

Back