Is it possible to love jiu-jitsu too much?

Its possible to love food too much, sex too much, exercise too much (overtrain), so yes its possible to love BJJ too much. The problem is when any one aspect of your life takes over your entire life to the detriment of family, job, etc

If it fucks up your personal life it's too much.

Pretty much this.. I think you can love it "not enough" as well. If your significant other doesn't want you to train or you make excuses to not train but still wish you could; you should love it more.
Its possible to love food too much, sex too much, exercise too much (overtrain), so yes its possible to love BJJ too much. The problem is when any one aspect of your life takes over your entire life to the detriment of family, job, etc

What's the appeal of doing pro wrestling for free? The hobbist pro wrestling stuff just looks awkward and fake.
The real pro wrestling stuff looks ultra gay with all those roided out guys without pants but at least the stars get paid.

What's the appeal of doing pro wrestling for free? The hobbist pro wrestling stuff just looks awkward and fake.
The real pro wrestling stuff looks ultra gay with all those roided out guys without pants but at least the stars get paid.

Everyone in the WWE did it for free for small shows. The WWE is so good because they do talent searches for the best people.

Writing a high school teaching job to train full time at age 30 probably qualifies as loving bjj too much

You really need to re evaluate your choices.

I would suggest a more balanced lifestyle.
I completely disagree with you unless that was a joke coming from someone who I believe loves bjj and is very commited to it?
I for one admire people who chase their dreams and are not afraid to live their lives differently. I grew up in post -communist Poland and saw too much of people who were too scared to go their own way whether it was because of the other people's opinion, their own insecurities or just because they didn't know any other life.

I left my wife for jiu jitsu. Duke Ellington said music is my mistress. Fuck that. Jiu Jitsu is my wife. From now on women are just side bitches.

I completely disagree with you unless that was a joke coming from someone who I believe loves bjj and is very commited to it?
I for one admire people who chase their dreams and are not afraid to live their lives differently. I grew up in post -communist Poland and saw too much of people who were too scared to go their own way whether it was because of the other people's opinion, their own insecurities or just because they didn't know any other life.

No it is not a joke.

As a Bjj instructor, I am responsible for creating good Bjj students.

But at the same time, I am also responsible to create stable and healthly members for our society.

There is more in life than just Bjj.

Unethical instructors will not care about the long term of their customers and will just make make them drink the kool aid as long as they can.

If Loving Jiu-Jitsu is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Back