Is it possible to gain strength with dumbbells?

You can make your own dumbell and load it extremely heavy, so yes you can gain strength from them. Someone already mentioned Ross Enamait, I think he has a 200lbs plus dumbell that he put together.

There are tutorials online on how to make your own handle.

Regarding lower body training, there's a lot of single leg variations you can do with dumbbells that will surely benefit you.

EDIT: Necro thread ugh..

Dumbbell bench-press is money. The hardest part is getting the heavier ones into position. Ideally do both barbell and dumbbell bench. In fact, heavy barbell bench-press gives me upper-back pain. No pain at all when just using the dumbbells.

left hand is usually the weaker one and needs more help with stabilization (if you're a righty)

If you want to get stronger with dumbells, but you're limited in dumbell weight, look into:

-weighted calisthenics

-Javorek's complexes

Otherwise, just get heavy-ass dumbells and look up a bodybuilding program.

If you have heavy dumbbells then of course you will gain strength. Dumbbells are awesome for gaining strength. You also have the added benefit of the weight being more unstable then a barbell. That equals more CNS development/motor control/etc.

Dude, check Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait. I'd say it's the best damn book on conditioning and strength training for combat athletes (he is a boxing trainer) on the market. Check his site and forum. Also has a youtube, tho he hasn't been active there for quite a while.

In Infinite Intensity, he relies on dumbbells, sandbags and bars, all easily acquirable.

Back