Is it normal for white belts to be super aggressive during free rolls?

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a white belt and I train 2-3 times a week. Every time I spar with white belts, they tend to go to the max the more I go harder. It was virtually impossible for me to work on my proper offense, guard and drill techniques, submissions and everything that was taught during class before sparring.

The only thing I can do is turn it into a weight lifting contest and try hop to the top position by holding their arms, lift my hip and turn then figuring out what to do next but end up feeling lost. Rinse, rise and repeat.

The purple and the higher level guys are a bit lazy and tend to lay on the floor waiting for me to do something. They go slower, smoother and doing unexpected submission. They would fix my technique and go "wow, that's good" on me whenever I try use submission or escape guard. I like that, it would help improve my drills unlike these white belts.

Last edited:
Yes. It's an ego thing and not exclusive to BJJ, though in arts where belt progression is faster (like Karate) you tend to get the same shit from yellow/orange - the people who have just dipped their feet in the water but want to prove to everyone that they're as good as Michael Phelps. I was guilty of the same for a while and regret it. Good for you that you're aware of this and not doing the same. Note that it's much easier to injure oneself sparring a whitebelt than sparring a blackbelt.

Next time ask them to "go slow" or "easy" on you - they might see this as a sign of weakness but you know your worth so you don't have to risk injury to impress some asshats. For most people this attitude goes away as they progress. Spar advanced students as often as you can - you will lose every time but you will learn much faster (and safer!). The slower you go, the further you get - as they say in Russia.

Good luck and take care.

Buddy up with the higher belts and find a partner that likes to drill!

Keep the rolling going, but the more you drill the better you'll get and be able to neutralize the spazz and start actually learning how to execute good technique with higher belts.

I see it a lot and I see it a lot at tournaments, I used to do it and would still get beat. One of the best pieces of info I ever received while I was a white belt was that "smooth is fast". I've done numerous seminars with Royce Gracie and that was always a staple when he was teaching technique. It's great to try and roll with the advanced belts when you can but don't dodge the spaz white belts completely. You can ask to go a certain pace but you see all the meme's "asking to go 50% and they go 200%" just remember to breathe, because their probably not so when then gas out you can take control.

Eventually you'll learn how to control and nullify their spontaneous energy wasting movements and they'll learn to calm the hell down lol because it's obviously not working on the same belt rank they are. I tend to flow roll more often than not and take my time unless it's competition training. I'm not the coach so I don't talk down to them if they are freaking out and bull-rushing and I hold them down in mount or side control. I make it uncomfortable and hope they realize the more they freak out the worse it's gonna feel. If you got a partner who just won't slow down and is a risk to cause injury or harm, simply don't roll with them. maybe people catch on and stop rolling with them and that spaz gets the hint.

Train safe train longer. Mat time is what is gonna make you better. Good luck buddy

Welcome to the world of the spazzy white belt.

It’s normal, it’s an ego thing but overall it’s a I don’t know better thing... as soon as they get better they will start to chill and do things more smoothly... it’s alwasy good to have this kind of roll once in a while it will give you a check on reality.

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING SO I'M GOING TO DO IT AS HARD AS I CAN!!!!111!!"

Yes, this is completely normal.

Last edited:
Some of them are still like that when they got to blue belt, I have a couple of those grinders in my club that have been rolling like that for 2-3 years. They all got better technically and they are monsters in top control and takedowns. But they all seem to have plateau'd at some point. They are very good at beating up the white belts and less agressive blue belts but they are still getting owned by the purple belts and brown belts.

1. Cross collar grip when on bottom.
2. Shoulder of justice when on top.

Totally normal, and it’s a reason why a lot of schools match white belts up against upper belts rather than against each other, so the spazzing can be controlled.

White belt v white belt often generates epic battles that pair high intensity with terrible technique. Then the white belts quickly get exhausted and start to lay on each other.

I don't think it's an ego thing, at all. It's a lack of knowledge thing. They are doing what they can do. Higher belts seem less spazzy because they have more efficient movement.

I have never met a person who talked about "ego" or "honor" that couldn't be prodded into spazzing with minimal effort.

Last edited:
Lol. I hate rolling with white belts. If they are cool and try and do techniques and not just go crazy because they want to win, I'll let them work the techniques and help them with it. If they are going crazy and doing unnecessary movements, like throwing elbow and knees, then I'll smash them with neon belly. The harder they struggle the harder I'll crush until they calm the fuck down.

sometimes that can work to you're advantage if someone is over aggressive there usually going to give you position and make alot of mistakes. especially sticking there neck out and leaving there arms on the mat when you have full guard

Yes, at first white belts will not really know what to do (for they are new to the sport and don't really know anything), then after a month or two, they have a decent grasp and go max out and use all of their strength. After a few stripes, they will know how to roll like they are not competing and learn how to roll and get something out of it.

It's pretty normal, its also a good gauge when you first start out. When you can handle big, strong, spazzy white belts with ease then you know your jitz is on the right track

Yes. It's an ego thing

People say that a lot, and that's sometimes true, but more often than not, I find that it happens because the person has no idea what to do and is either used to more intense combat sports, OR not used to them at all. So they literally have no idea what to do. It doesn't have to be about ego.

RE the TS - yeah. Pretty normal.

Yes, because aggression is all they likely have in their toolbox.

Historically, we've also been blinded by the old Joe Rogan "Jiu jitsu is the also martial art in the world that you can go balls out every day and keep coming back the next day to do it again. You can't do it in kickboxing" etc etc.

In hindsight, no lol.

Some of them are still like that when they got to blue belt, I have a couple of those grinders in my club that have been rolling like that for 2-3 years. They all got better technically and they are monsters in top control and takedowns. But they all seem to have plateau'd at some point. They are very good at beating up the white belts and less agressive blue belts but they are still getting owned by the purple belts and brown belts.

Couldn’t have said it better. It’s like their physicality and drive gets them past the novice belts but once they encounter technique at purple, their game is shut down. You’d think rolling with higher belts would teach them to think things through.

I'm a white belt and I train 2-3 times a week. Every time I spar with white belts, they tend to go to the max the more I go harder. It was virtually impossible for me to work on my proper offense, guard and drill techniques, submissions and everything that was taught during class before sparring.

The only thing I can do is turn it into a weight lifting contest and try hop to the top position by holding their arms, lift my hip and turn then figuring out what to do next but end up feeling lost. Rinse, rise and repeat.

The purple and the higher level guys are a bit lazy and tend to lay on the floor waiting for me to do something. They go slower, smoother and doing unexpected submission. They would fix my technique and go "wow, that's good" on me whenever I try use submission or escape guard. I like that, it would help improve my drills unlike these white belts.
Read what you said: Every time I spar with white belts, they tend to go to the max the more I go harder. In BJJ I've been taught the hard way, you get what you give. I see it now more easily since I have a little bit more time than some of the newcomers. I now see how much strength and spazzing I did when I roll with someone new. So tone it down and hopefully they will too. If they don't all it means is that they don't have much of an idea of what they're doing which means, it's easier to deal with them. It's on you to stay relaxed in a chaotic atmosphere, or why else are you doing BJJ? Learning from the higher belts is always great, however, if they "give" you positions, subs, etc. and you're avoiding the real fight, how are you supposed to use it?

Back