Is it must to use weight lifting belt while exercise ?

Paul Kevin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Need help guy's i have seen heavy weight lifter always use belts why is this important

It's an absolute must otherwise their pants would fall down if they didn't.

If you are doing anything that involves needing to keep your back straight, use one.

Edit: Apparently you don't need one.

2nd edit: Apparently it's highly contested.

Last edited:
If you're inexperienced enough to ask this question on an MMA forum of all places you probably shouldn't be handling the kind of weight that would require a belt. Focus on your form and executing lifts properly and worry about needing a belt after you've got the basics down and start lifting heavy.

You don't need a belt, but there are a lot of intricacies to proper form that even some buffed out dudes in the gym don't do correctly. You should look up proper form on a reputable site for every exercise you do.

I train a lot. Best thing to do is keep great technique. Dont use any belts. Dont weaken yourself with them. More helping items you use = more you weaken your joints and muscles. Just lift smaller weight until you will feel comfortable with the bigger.

Sorry for 3rd grade english...

If there's one thing posters on this forum know less than MMA it's lifting weights.

I feel really awkward dead-lifting more than 120kg, I could do more but I feel like my back could give at any moment(I'm a bit of a wuss to lift heavy weight at times).

Never used one.

They require a skill to use, they have been shown to increase the amount experienced lifters can move.

One can brace your core with the valsalva technique, breathing in an amount and tensing abs before the lift stabilising the spine.

Belts aren't necessary and they're not equipment for safety like some say.

Havent used a belt in almost 2 years.

Im also weak, so take that into consideration.

Back