Is it medically supported that people can develop glass jaws by blows to the head(Chuck Lidell)

There aren't any studies that involve giving subjects long term brain trauma. Like a lot of stuff in fighting it's based on empirical evidence.

from personal expirence - one good punch can change the effects of all future punches permanetly..

But you know about that specific punch yourself, right? If you feel fine, you probably are principle?

Could the damage be started with simple solid blows, or do they have to be of a certain caliber? I have an iron jaw and want to keep it that way in case I get into a street fight. I spar dudes with no mouth protection and we go hard.... Should I keep it soft to preserve my iron jaw?
I seem to recall data indicating that cumulate sub-concussive blows to indeed harm your brain.

Is it true I am more likely to get a concussion after already having one?

After having one concussion you are more likely to have another — some doctors estimate you increase your risk up to three times. There are two reasons why your risk increases: carelessness and brain chemistry.

The first reason is the obvious: After you hit your head, you will be slower to react. So if you jump right back on your bike, you won’t have the same reflexes to stop on a dime or swerve at the last minute. Surprisingly, this is actually more common than you might think. Devoted football or soccer athletes may return to a game sooner than they should after taking a hard hit, greatly increasing their risk of another concussion. Also, after you have a concussion, you’re less attentive overall, making tasks like crossing the street that much more dangerous.

The increased susceptibility for a second concussion also comes down to brain chemistry. A concussion causes chemical changes in your brain, which leave the brain unbalanced and more prone to damage for up to a year, said David Hovda, director of the Brain Injury Research Center at the University of California, Los Angeles.

What happens during a concussion, said Dr. Jamshid Ghajar, the president of the Brain Trauma Foundation, is that the pulling and stretching of your brain results in tiny tears in the white matter — the tissue connecting the different brain regions. The result is less attentiveness and memory and slower reflexes.

Your brain is contained in fluid in your skull, much like an ice cube in a glass of water. Moving the glass back and forth causes the ice cube to slosh around in the glass. This is what is happening to your brain during a concussion. It’s not the movement itself that causes the concussion, but the force and acceleration of that movement, Hovda said.

http://scienceline.org/2008/04/ask-heger-concussion/

If a punch/kick did long-term damage to your brain, you are likely to know about it from the impact it had on you at the moment it struck you?
It would be terribly dangerous to say "Sure, you''ll notice something if it is serious"
Yes, you will likely notice the effect soon, but...
Some people may think "it's just a bell rang in my head" only to collapse few hours later. So in a way - NO. There is no 100% sure way to tell how serious head trauma was without MRI or some other deagnostics...

Could the damage be started with simple solid blows, or do they have to be of a certain caliber? I have an iron jaw and want to keep it that way in case I get into a street fight. I spar dudes with no mouth protection and we go hard.... Should I keep it soft to preserve my iron jaw?

I also want to ask if a kick to the jaw is less bad for your brain than to the forehead? I got a bomb to my jaw by a pro and it did nothing to me.

Can't tell if serious or hilarious. Either way, I like.

It's crazy how stupid the threads are getting here.

I would suggest not taking any more damage than you need to. You can get plenty of skills work in without taking damage. I had a coach tell me that when I was a youngster, he said that guys who like to rely on their chin do not have long careers and end up all messed up. That is why as much as I like that Justin kid that just beat Johnson, he likely won't have a long career.

Take it or leave it but I saw a guy I trained with get zapped real good once and he would take a nap from a jab after that. That is an unusual situation but the brain is a tricky piece of equipment. As far as the gum shield goes, I personally think it is insanity to not use them unless you like smashed teeth.

Just my opinion. You sound like a tough dude so you can afford not to make ego choices, use the ppe and stay tough instead of a drooler when you are old.

Ok, never mind all this. I just read more of your comments after this and, your good. Carry on taking shots bro.

You sound like a tough dude so you can afford not to make ego choices,

Thank you but I'm really not. I just have an iron jaw, apparently. My father had his teeth replaced from bare knuckled Karate fighting in the 70s and was the same way.

Is it true I am more likely to get a concussion after already having one?

After having one concussion you are more likely to have another — some doctors estimate you increase your risk up to three times. There are two reasons why your risk increases: carelessness and brain chemistry.

The first reason is the obvious: After you hit your head, you will be slower to react. So if you jump right back on your bike, you won’t have the same reflexes to stop on a dime or swerve at the last minute. Surprisingly, this is actually more common than you might think. Devoted football or soccer athletes may return to a game sooner than they should after taking a hard hit, greatly increasing their risk of another concussion. Also, after you have a concussion, you’re less attentive overall, making tasks like crossing the street that much more dangerous.

The increased susceptibility for a second concussion also comes down to brain chemistry. A concussion causes chemical changes in your brain, which leave the brain unbalanced and more prone to damage for up to a year, said David Hovda, director of the Brain Injury Research Center at the University of California, Los Angeles.

What happens during a concussion, said Dr. Jamshid Ghajar, the president of the Brain Trauma Foundation, is that the pulling and stretching of your brain results in tiny tears in the white matter — the tissue connecting the different brain regions. The result is less attentiveness and memory and slower reflexes.

Your brain is contained in fluid in your skull, much like an ice cube in a glass of water. Moving the glass back and forth causes the ice cube to slosh around in the glass. This is what is happening to your brain during a concussion. It’s not the movement itself that causes the concussion, but the force and acceleration of that movement, Hovda said.

http://scienceline.org/2008/04/ask-heger-concussion/

/thread

The brain can only take so much damage.

After a while, its going to need to take less damage to shut off.

I just repeat what Rogan says.

Fucked if I know.

I doubt there is any serious research done behind it. You'll be stuck with "common knowledge".

It's commonly accepted knowledge that you're more susceptible to future concussions after suffering a concussion. Now whether that effect is multiplied by the number of concussions suffered and/or the severity if the concussion(s) I'm less sure on, but it would certainly make sense if that the case.
Add to that your brain shrinks with age giving it more room to bounce around in your cranium.

I seem to recall data indicating that cumulate sub-concussive blows to indeed harm your brain.
The post-mortem study of athlete brains shows this.

I was born with a brain bigger than most (you have probably noticed that if you follow my excellent posts or bask in my 1+ post to like ratio) and as a result my brain has very little room to move and thus does not impact my skull with enough force to knock me out when I'm hit. I'm undefeated in amatuer fighting except against my big brother, but he pulls hair and claws eyes and squishes nutz. So in sum: big brain > tough jaw fibers.

And I guess the risk of sustaining a first time concussion is the same for everybody? Or are some more resistent?

Back