Is it medically supported that people can develop glass jaws by blows to the head(Chuck Lidell)

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't it just as likely be that Chuck Lidell, for an example, got older and took shots that they couldn't give him before?Or that older age makes you easier to KO?

Why would repated blows to the head make your previous iron jaw deteriorate?

best theory i've heard is that the blows creates all tears along the connective tissues holding your brain in place and it gets "jiggly" if you will.

Why would multiple head concussions weaken your chin?

Just sounds something that should happen.

Couldn't it just as likely be that Chuck Lidell, for an example, got older and took shots that they couldn't give him before?Or that older age makes you easier to KO?

Its more than likely a factor of all those things.

Damage, older age, shitter training, slower reactions...who the fuck knows.

It's commonly accepted knowledge that you're more susceptible to future concussions after suffering a concussion. Now whether that effect is multiplied by the number of concussions suffered and/or the severity if the concussion(s) I'm less sure on, but it would certainly make sense if that the case.

I think the brain learns to shutdown for self-preservation.

best theory i've heard is that the blows creates all tears along the connective tissues holding your brain in place and it gets "jiggly" if you will.

Could the damage be started with simple solid blows, or do they have to be of a certain caliber? I have an iron jaw and want to keep it that way in case I get into a street fight. I spar dudes with no mouth protection and we go hard.... Should I keep it soft to preserve my iron jaw?

It's hard to judge, take Overeem for example. The guy has been (T)KO'd 10 times in his MMA career. But can still stand with strikers such as JDS and win. But that could also be that he's tightened up his defence.

Could the damage be started with simple solid blows, or do they have to be of a certain caliber? I have an iron jaw and want to keep it that way in case I get into a street fight. I spar dudes with no mouth protection and we go hard.... Should I keep it soft to preserve my iron jaw?
Why the hell would you spar with no mouth guard?

Getting ko'ed and not taking the right amount of time to rest and recover will make you vulnerable to getting ko'ed easily. And not necessarily a ko or tko that can lead to such vulnerability. brawling and banging all balls to the wall can lead to that as well.

Your brain is constantly learning and adapting. So it just learns to shut itself off quicker when it's being abused so that it doesn't have to feel it.

Does brain damage reduce your ability to endure more brain trauma? Yes.

I just never got around to buy it because no badass was training with us before. Now we do have a badass though.

Weird. Even training with people I considered way below my skill level I've still been punched in the face hard enough to think I probably would've lost some teeth.

I also want to ask if a kick to the jaw is less bad for your brain than to the forehead? I got a bomb to my jaw by a pro and it did nothing to me.

We can pontificate all we want on the physiological basis of it but we've seen it enough that we can provisionally accept it as fact (JDS, Reem, Weidman etc.). At the very least I would be hesitant to dismiss the notion that successive knockouts make you more susceptible to being knocked out in the future.

Watch us discuss whether cumulative brain trauma exists for 20 pages

Behold

We can pontificate all we want on the physiological basis of it but we've seen it enough that we can provisionally accept it as fact (JDS, Reem, Weidman etc.).

Oh Common. Weidman got beaten to a bloody pulp each time or got a nasty flying knee from a beast.

You shouldn't be asking these questions on the internet. But from personal expirence - one good punch can change the effects of all future punches permanetly. Better consult a medical professional to be sure how you should spar safely.

Back