Is it me or is the Mayweather vs McGregor fight losing steam?

You say that you thought you couldn't care less, not that you weren't interested in buying the fight. You watched a damn press conference, it obviously caught your interest. Wether you want to actually pay money or not is a different thing, but don't act like you're not interested in the spectacle. You've clearly invested quite a lot of energy in it already (watching pressers, posting a bunch of posts on the fight etc.).
ok. I am as excited for Floyd and Conor as I was for Michael Johnson and Justin Gaethje. Good fight to watch for free but not going to pay for it. I will clear up the confusion now. It is July 13th. I watched the 2nd presser (only saw the first ones highlights) I regularly keep up on MMA hence I am on Sherdog today. I liked the trash talk drama between Conor and Floyd the past two conferences, why wouldnt you wanna see how a third would go? Well...The Brooklyn conference I checked out ...it sucked, badly. It was horrible. I wasn't going to buy the fight. Still not going to buy the fight. Watching a conference is to build or break a fight for people. That it did.

ok. I am as excited for Floyd and Conor as I was for Michael Johnson and Justin Justin Gaethje. Good fight to watch for free but not going to pay for it. I will clear up the confusion now. It is July 13th. I watched the 2nd presser (only saw the first ones highlights) I regularly keep up on MMA hence I am on Sherdog today. I liked the trash talk drama between Conor and Floyd the past two conferences, why wouldnt you wanna see how a third would go? Well...The Brooklyn conference I checked out ...it sucked, badly. It was horrible. I wasn't going to buy the fight. Still not going to buy the fight. Watching a conference is to build or break a fight for people. That it did.

Good. All I was asking. ;-)

I do agree though. The NYC presser was terrible. Conor wasn't very sharp. I think it had something to do with the delay though. The crowd was tired, and he was trying to use the crown as momentum, like he succeeded at doing in Toronto especially, and really worked great for him in NYC for the 205 presser. They just didn't respond as well today and he also ruined it a bit with that cringey as fuck rap intro (good shout out to Notorious BIG though!). I'm going to buy the fight. Initially I wasn't, as the fight itself is ridiculous and too predictable, but I'm in it for the sheer spectacle now!

Good. All I was asking. ;-)

I do agree though. The NYC presser was terrible. Conor wasn't very sharp. I think it had something to do with the delay though. The crowd was tired, and he was trying to use the crown as momentum, like he succeeded at doing in Toronto especially, and really worked great for him in NYC for the 205 presser. They just didn't respond as well today and he also ruined it a bit with that cringey as fuck rap intro (good shout out to Notorious BIG though!). I'm going to buy the fight. Initially I wasn't, as the fight itself is ridiculous and too predictable, but I'm in it for the sheer spectacle now!
I agree, I will have to look at the under card. Its just $100 for a fight that is likely to end in either round 1 or 2 for either guy (likley Floyd) BUT maybe Floyd can dance around as usual and carry it 12 rounds give people something to watch. Idk. I just think I can wait for the highlights in ESPN we will see

If it's a nice night I'll watch it the same way I watched the Mayweather/pacquiao fight, from outside the bar. The undercard would have to be pretty spectacular for me to pay a cover, and knowing Mayweather it will suck.

Hopefully Lloyd Showeather brings some strippers to London for Cmacs tirdday present

now way man the internet is blowing up. Tuning in is incredibly fun everyday.

I get that feeling a little too. Had a few people come up and talk to me about it and got a fair few texts when it was announced but no one seems interested in the press conferences and have pretty much forgotten about it. Not sure it's really caught on with the casual crowd yet, at least from what I've seen. Of course it will be huge and the pubs will be packed but not sure it'll hit those massive numbers being talked about.

yeah... yeahhhhh. yeahhhhhhh... YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hear me out Sherdoggers, dont just take the judge a thread by its title like 75% of the posters here.

I am losing interest in the fight.

When it was first announced, it was mainstream, a "SHOCKER"...couldn't go on any social media site or MMA siite without seeing a top headline of any sorts involving the historic fight. You couldn't go anywhere without getting a point of view of an analyst, an article breaking down the fight. The fight is scheduled for August 26th which is right around the corner. Its Just the beginning of July and I have yet to see ONE advertisement, event announcement commercial or preview on basic Television. I get that there will be but for a fight of THIS POPULARITY and HISTORIC MAGNITUDE I would think theyd be throwing it out there left and right in our face a whole lot more than they are. If they plan on just promoting the fight on SHOWTIME where it will take place not everyone has it. I dont.

A casual can GOOGLE. MMA news and or boxing news and everything has been fairly quiet about it. You may see some tidbits here and there to keep it relevant but the main attractions are still the latest Boxing News such as Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn......GGG vs Alvarez etc.

Discuss?[/QUOTE
no its probably gonna sell more than any fight in history.

no its probably gonna sell more than any fight in history

So you are saying you are not supposed to watch a UFC press conference unless you plan on buying a UFC ppv? Not sure exactly what your point is? I watch most of them regardless for the entertainment value, (ITS FREE)....and I don't buy all the UFC ppv's lol. I'm gonna likely watch the post Jones VS Cormier presser as well, I also dont care who wins either. I watched MACMAY presser because it was free, and it was the only thing I was interested in watching at the time lol

You’re a broke bitch

I get that feeling a little too. Had a few people come up and talk to me about it and got a fair few texts when it was announced but no one seems interested in the press conferences and have pretty much forgotten about it. Not sure it's really caught on with the casual crowd yet, at least from what I've seen. Of course it will be huge and the pubs will be packed but not sure it'll hit those massive numbers being talked about.
I dont think it will break the pac fight record. Likely will come close but Idt its big as people think now that we have free streaming online here and there, then you have your dive bar crowds and people who will host parties to see the fight will take away buys when you have 10 people surround 1 TV

If it's a nice night I'll watch it the same way I watched the Mayweather/pacquiao fight, from outside the bar. The undercard would have to be pretty spectacular for me to pay a cover, and knowing Mayweather it will suck.
People barely paid to watch Floyds last fight... Now pay $100 to see a fight against an MMA guy most boxing fans know will either end in the first or second round TKO or boring 12 round snoozer. So you can pay $100 to see what you know will happen either way I will just wait for the highlights the next morning. $100 Too much money for it. Thats my opinion. I just dont see it beating the PacMay record. That fight was supposed to be historical. Like this one is supposed to be. Dana White telling people how it will be the biggest fight in combat sports history is just a basic promotion tactic to get people to tune in. He knows it isnt the biggest fight in combat sports history, Mayweather vs Pacman was regardless if it sucked or not thats what fight fans wanted to see for many many many years unfortunately it was made 7 years too late.

Last edited:
Wait till about the end of July and that's when they'll probably start throwing that shit out all over the place.
You'd think the event was already sold out. It is August 1st...more than 5000 seats still available and they been on sale since middle of June

It will end up being the most promoted fight in history by fight night, you can bank on that.

For whatever reason, it seems to have captured the publics attention.

Ps, that Bayless guy is a goofapotomus. I don't ever recall a face that begged to be punched quite as much as his does.
You'd think the event was already sold out. It is August 1st...more than 5000 seats still available and they been on sale since middle of June

Are there really that many? The article at ESPN mentioned hundreds or even thousands, but no number was given. Any idea how many are available at reseller sites?

How much do you think this fight losing steam is due to every mainstream media outlet(espn, fox, bleacher report etc) crapping all over the fight & making it look like a clown show?

Hear me out Sherdoggers, dont just take the judge a thread by its title like 75% of the posters here.

I am losing interest in the fight.

When it was first announced, it was mainstream, a "SHOCKER"...couldn't go on any social media site or MMA siite without seeing a top headline of any sorts involving the historic fight. You couldn't go anywhere without getting a point of view of an analyst, an article breaking down the fight. The fight is scheduled for August 26th which is right around the corner. Its Just the beginning of July and I have yet to see ONE advertisement, event announcement commercial or preview on basic Television. I get that there will be but for a fight of THIS POPULARITY and HISTORIC MAGNITUDE I would think theyd be throwing it out there left and right in our face a whole lot more than they are. If they plan on just promoting the fight on SHOWTIME where it will take place not everyone has it. I dont.

A casual can GOOGLE. MMA news and or boxing news and everything has been fairly quiet about it. You may see some tidbits here and there to keep it relevant but the main attractions are still the latest Boxing News such as Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn......GGG vs Alvarez etc.

Discuss?

ESPN reported Saturday there a lot seats available. The prices are too high for many MMA fans.

The number of comments per article on MMAMania seems way down.

Makes me wonder if the UFC/MMA bubble is popping.

i feel it too the PC were very WWEish maybe a sign of how the actual fight will go a real freakshow circus and floyd having the power over the judges and ref calls even further hurts it

was disappointed by them compered to the diaz and even eddie PCs tbh

id be shocked if this does over 4M ppv

Back