Is it legal to burn a rainbow flag?

There was a tranny last year who burned one at UBC; and she/he/it only got a mischief fine because it was university property and under 5000 in value

Fair play, though I'm wondering if an official hate speech complaint would change anything.

Fair play, though I'm wondering if an official hate speech complaint would change anything.

It would put the sour puss scowls among the Human Rights Tribunal and the fed courts would review their decision but it wouldnt and hasnt trumped the charter

Thanks and I have to agree that if a case of a rainbow flag being burned ever came before the courts in the US it would probably be dealt with exactly like this. If you burn it in an obvious attempt to intimidate then you can be prosecuted. The state has to prove intent and the burden of proof rests on them, so this all makes sense to me. Interesting that Clarence Thomas wanted cross-burning to outright banned, if I read that part correctly.

There are no such thing as the "ISIS-flag" really.

The text on their flag is the shahada, the common creed of muslims worldwide: "There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger"

Burning this flag would certainly be offensive to many muslims, even within an isis context, in fact it's something that is regularly thrown towards groups fighting ISIS, from even non-pro ISIS muslims, that careless handling of that flag is an offense.

So how about that?

I assume you are being dumb on purpose.

I doubt Muslims (or liberals) would take any offense to someone burning an Isis flag.

Thanks and I have to agree that if a case of a rainbow flag being burned ever came before the courts in the US it would probably be dealt with exactly like this. If you burn it in an obvious attempt to intimidate then you can be prosecuted. The state has to prove intent and the burden of proof rests on them, so this all makes sense to me. Interesting that Clarence Thomas wanted cross-burning to outright banned, if I read that part correctly.
It's one of the few times he spoke from the bench in his career.

I always think about that case when white people argue that black face isn't offensive or something along those lines.

I really like rainbows. They are cool and magical and shit. Rainbow is also a badass band, praise Dio!

I hate how rainbows have been hijacked by the gays. I support your rights and all but can you please stop monopolizong the concept of rainbows? Leprechauns came up with it first, stop stealing! Rainbows used to be cool but you made them lame and gay.

Make Rainbows Great Again!
1976_Rainbow-Rising.jpg

I assume you are being dumb on purpose.

I doubt Muslims (or liberals) would take any offense to someone burning an Isis flag.

It's not an "ISIS-flag" tho. It's the shahada on a piece of cloth, one of the five basic pillars of Islam.

Burning that will get you in trouble with many people.

I really like rainbows. They are cool and magical and shit. Rainbow is also a badass band, praise Dio!

I hate how rainbows have been hijacked by the gays. I support your rights and all but can you please stop monopolizong the concept of rainbows? Leprechauns came up with it first, stop stealing! Rainbows used to be cool but you made them lame and gay.

Make Rainbows Great Again!
1976_Rainbow-Rising.jpg
Stellar album.

Why would one burn the rainbow flag? Most reasons would be to demonstrate some sort of bigotry. Which in some countries constitutes a hate crime and rightfully should be punished.

His comment makes good sense.

The reasons for burning the US flag are quite varied, but there isn't really another reason to burn an LGBT flag other than hatred for "the queer agenda" or whatever (or plain hatred for gays).

So you think there's no difference between say, people who happen to be gay and are minding their own business, and parades full of naked men in leather jockstraps and insane activists who are pushing the use of puberty blockers on children? The "movement" is its' own thing at this point, and they're probably doing more harm than good in terms of the public perception of the things they supposedly represent.

Back