Is it just me or were the 90s an especially creative era for action movies?

I love 90s action flicks but the 80s were sick, maybe better:

Die Hard is the GOAT action, 1988.
Predator
Aliens
The Terminator
Rambo
Robocop
Lethal Weapon
Commando

Omg, it’s a KO for the 8os just off the top of my head

The first Rambo I'm not even sure I'd call an action film and Rambo II and III actually aren't that good.

Let's look at our 90s lineup:

Terminator 2
The Matrix
Total Recall
True Lies
Demolition Man
Die Hard 2
Independence Day
Blade
The Rock
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Robocop 2
Desperado
The Crow
Face/Off
Double Impact
Under Siege
Speed

This is only including movies that I think are very-good-to-great. I could go on with films like Cliffhanger, Executive Decision, Rapid Fire, Showdown in Little Tokyo, and The Big Hit.

And this is also without going overseas and fucking with what John Woo and Jackie Chan were doing at the time.

The 80s were great and produced a lot of great films in the genre--some of the greatest, in fact--but if you told me I could only keep the action movies from ONE decade, it would be the 90s. Hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt that exactly the point of your thread, proposing the 90s as a peak for action movies.

And my post directly dealt with youes, making out that technology will be the key to greater action movies.

It wont.

We peaked with arnold.

Im fine with this.

Life is finite

I'm saying that the 90s is the best decade that we've had so far, not the best decade that it's possible for us to have. The hope is that writers will make more of an effort toward developing creative and clever plots in the future. I'm issuing a call to arms.

Do you think that in 2090 they'll still be looking back a hundred years to the 1980s and 90s as the peak of action films? I hope not.

The 90s represent the pinnacle of decadence for both mainstream hiphop and action films -- both of which soon ate themselves. It was the turning point between the 80s macho action star, where cheese was still okay but the audience would soon grow too precious about "realism."

Ok, why do they do this? Why do they have the wrong name over each of their pictures. Any time there is a movie with two or more big stars, they do that.
I mean, come the fuck on, people.

The-_Duel.jpg

I'd say the opposite, that's when action movies started to go more generic.

This is a great thread, I agree it was way better. One year that always stood out for me was 1991 in particular, Terminator 2, Mcbain, Out For Justice, Stone Cold, The Perfect Weapon(Jeff Speakman!), Lionheart, FX 2, Point Break, Double Impact, Harley Davidson And The Morley Man, The Last Boy Scout, if there was a better single year for action movies I'd love to know what it was.

And I don't care what anybody says, Out For Justice is the greatest movie ever made. Seagal should have won an Oscar.

Last edited:
Also, where’s the songs today specifically made for their respective movie that used to be in old action films?

Where are the Sammy Hagar “Winner Takes it All”, the Robert Tepper “Angel of the City”, the Stan Bush “The Touch”, etc. songs at? They still rock to me, damnit!

Last edited:
Seeing is believing.

When I run "Best action movies of the 90s" through Google, this is what I get:

cyavCOF.png

And then the 00s:

oeApdBZ.png

And finally the 10s:

RAdAPS4.png

Fucking discuss!

WOW. Making a top 10 of all 3 decades is actually reallly hard. 10s seem more FUN!, 00 are dark, 90s are just BADASS.

Like I said, I, II and III.

And IV. Forgot about that one.

I don't see a Rambo 1 or 2. I see a 3. If you say Rambo 1 I don't know which movie you mean. First Blood? The sequel that first puts Rambo in the title? Your Rambo 2 is First Blood 2.

LOL, are you fucking with me?

Nope. Anytime I hear someone say Rambo 1 I think "dumb ass". The movie is First Blood, motherfucker. Then I think, maybe they meant Rambo FB pt 2 because First Blood wasn't much of a success and they may have jumped on the series with FB pt. 2 and think Rambo 3 is really #2.

Nope. Anytime I hear someone say Rambo 1 I think "dumb ass". The movie is First Blood, motherfucker. Then I think, maybe they meant Rambo FB pt 2 because First Blood wasn't much of a success and they may have jumped on the series with FB pt. 2 and think Rambo 3 is really #2.

Well I believe that it is quite common to refer to the original trilogy simply as Rambo I-III. Who the fuck wants to type out First Blood: Part II every type they reference the movie?

It's very strange to watch the first Rambo movie after you know the character. He's so much different than what he became. And as being a 90s kid(born in 86) I def knew the name Rambo as hardcore action star then I watched the first movie and he regretfully kills like 2 cops.

Back