Is it just me or was Furys standing 8 count slow?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know it's up to the ref but he took a long time to get over there, start, and count it all down. A little bit of a Tyson-Douglas feel over it.

What say you guys? Isn't it obvious the ref wanted the match to go on, which I understand for sporting reasons, but it's a bit unfair to Wilder.

It's up to the ref's discretion, and judgment.

I don't think there is anything in the rules that state what the tempo of the count has to be.

It's up to the ref's discretion, and judgment.

I don't think there is anything in the rules that state what the tempo of the count has to be.

Couldn't he have stopped it right away when Fury was layed out flat? Wouldn't that have been more conventional? It certainly didn't look like he was in shape to get up. You rarely see knockdowns like that that aren't stopped. Weird.

Couldn't he have stopped it right away when Fury was layed out flat? Wouldn't that have been more conventional? It certainly didn't look like he was in shape to get up. You rarely see knockdowns like that that aren't stopped. Weird.

I've debated that quite a bit. Refs have waved fights off. This is usually for fighters' safety. My theory is that because it was the 12th, he allowed it to continue. If he had called it, I think that would have been far more controversial than a draw. However, if he had stopped it, I could see the reasoning.

It certainly didn't look like he was in shape to get up

but he was obviously .. wouldn't you want to see more refs do this and give the guy a chance to see if he can get up and is ok(given you beat the count obviously).. look how fury came out after the knockdown .. wouldn't have happened had he been waved off .. if fury had gotten up and looked like a sloppy drunk or not responding to commands then of course stop the fight but that wasn't the case

but he was obviously .. wouldn't you want to see more refs do this and give the guy a chance to see if he can get up and is ok(given you beat the count obviously).. look how fury came out after the knockdown .. wouldn't have happened had he been waved off .. if fury had gotten up and looked like a sloppy drunk or not responding to commands then of course stop the fight but that wasn't the case

Fury just about ran to that corner when the ref asked him to walk. I was actually very surprised by this.

What standing 8?
Fury was down twice, so the counts are to 10. If he's got pinged hard standing, he'd get an 8 count. I didn't see that happen.

The problem isn’t the count at all. Even if Tyson beat the count at 10 or 11, a ref can still have it continue. It wasn’t like Fury was beaten like a Meldrick Taylor at 10 +.

Most people are debating that the ref should’ve waived it off as exactly as the OP stated, that he was sleeping at the 5 count like Amir Khan was at 5. Khan wasn’t hurt previosly and Brits claim he was winning and schooling Canelo all the rounds...lol
Still Bayless called it off which is what many fans claim Reiss should’ve done by 5 or even 6.

Fury got up after 6 just barely by the 7 count and imo deserved to continue even if he stood exactly at 10 or millisecond after, because, he could continue, and that’s the ref’s discretion.

Realistically these aren’t the real problems. The real problems are Brits claiming that Wilder didn’t have 3 rounds in the bag aside from the knockdowns. Wilder threw jabs, jabs to the body, power punches to the body, and all in Olympic standard form.

Wilder haters just like to cherry pick when Wilder tried to land in combination attempts. Even though Fury could nicely weave and slip those combos, Wilder still had points in those rounds.

Brits don’t want to acknowledge this and try best efforts to rinse cliche agendas without any details within the rounds. And many Brits don’t understand the 3 judge rule. Even Brook vs Zefara had a 117-111 card...

He was busy sending Wilder to a neutral corner

It amazes me how many casuals don’t understand that the ref doesn’t start his count at 1 after sending a fighter to the neutral corner. It’s ALWAYS picked up from the sideline ref

The count was fine.

As Golovkingoat said, the timekeeper begins the count while the ref instructs the other fighter to the neutral corner. The ref picks up the time from the timekeeper.

Fury just about ran to that corner when the ref asked him to walk. I was actually very surprised by this.
I actually thought it was a "I'm still dazed" kinda walk.
Watch it over again, it looks like hes still feeling it a little bit.

I actually thought it was a "I'm still dazed" kinda walk.
Watch it over again, it looks like hes still feeling it a little bit.

Lol "I'm still dazed" walk, I'm going to use that. It reminds me of when my friend had almost dropped a guy in his fight, and he described him as "wobbling like Mortal Kombat". I find humor in visuals. That's funny lol.

I'll check it out, I thought he was just being his normal goofy self. However, I could be wrong, and will take a closer look.

Lol "I'm still dazed" walk, I'm going to use that. It reminds me of when my friend had almost dropped a guy in his fight, and he described him as "wobbling like Mortal Kombat". I find humor in visuals. That's funny lol.

I'll check it out, I thought he was just being his normal goofy self. However, I could be wrong, and will take a closer look.
Someone said Fury got up like a guy that forgot to hit his snooze alarm and realized he was late for work.

Someone said Fury got up like a guy that forgot to hit his snooze alarm and realized he was late for work.

Lol hahaha oh my gosh, that is gold. He popped up like "I'm not late, I can still be on time". That urgency lol.

As Golovkingoat said, the timekeeper begins the count while the ref instructs the other fighter to the neutral corner. The ref picks up the time from the timekeeper.
unless it’s in montreal

You guys have gotta stop this shit lol...
how about - why didn't the ref stop it when wilder through multiple unanswered shots at wilder, we've seen fights waved off that before.

Ps.
The Tyson/Douglas count has been debunked, he counted the exact same both times.
Gtfoi

Back