Is it just me or is the bad guy in Superman not bad? Superman kills his own race?

The newest Superman movie with Henry Cavill is playing. I have seen it before

It got me thinking.

General Zod at the end of the day wants his race to survive, yes that likely means at the expense of the human race living. However, General Zod wanting his race of people to survive at the expense of us homo-sapiens isn't that crazy. We as homo-sapiens aren't even unified and have routinely done a lot to destroy our planet and other species.

Superman who is an alien in the end decides to turn against General Zod and aides the humans in destroying Zod and his followers who are the only ones capable of restarting their race.

So Superman chose to help genocide his people from existence.

Sweet!

Superman identified with humans, so those were his people. I don't understand why Zod had to terraform Earth at all. Why couldn't he do it on Mars or Venus?

The fight scenes in that movie were pretty dope.

Look closely and you can see Nam-ek pop that one pilot's head like a grape.

I don't fault Zod for his aims (keeping the Kryptonian race alive) but I can sure fault him for his means (terraforming Earth and exterminating humans). Surely you can see the distinction?

Re: not enough genetic diversity, I think Kryptonian science might be able to hand-wave that away. After all, they are able to create creatures like Doomsday.

If the Kryptonians had come to Earth as refugees who had lost their planet to natural catastrophe, the humans would probably have welcomed them and tried to help them find a new home or whatever else they could help with.

its just you

MOS is the best superman movie ever made.
reeves is the best superman

It speaks volumes about yourself that you'd describe a character who's sole purpose is to erradicate the human race from the galaxy, as 'not a bad guy.'

To be fair his purpose was the survival of his own race, not the destruction of another. The second part is incidental to the first in the movie. He would have gladly ignored Earth entirely if it provided the greater benefit.

Most underrated comic book movie ever. Come at me.

To be fair his purpose was the survival of his own race, not the destruction of another. The second part is incidental to the first in the movie. He would have gladly ignored Earth entirely if it provided the greater benefit.

Most underrated comic book movie ever. Come at me.

I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel. I'm surprised it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

But for General Zod - The survival of his race, which he's mostly responsible for destroying (or am I mis-remembering that detail?), comes at the expense of destroying the human race.

It's not as simple as killing a few humans so a few kryptonians can survive, but genociding the entire human race into extinction so a few kryptonians can survive.

Lol @ you dummies crying about genetic bottlenecks and not enough Kryptonians (never mind a species can survive dire genetic bottlenecks).

Remeber Kryptonians weren't "born" but were clones with specific purposes like Zod was a military leader intended to protect Krypton, and Jor-El was a scientist. Kal-El was the first natural birth in centuries.

Zod had a genesis ship with thousands of Kryptonian embryos on board, and Superman had the genetic history of his people written into his DNA by his father.

Zod had the means with supermans genetic code to recreate the entirety of their race.

And the worst part is, not only did he kill Zod he destroyed the Genesis ship.

Superman genocided his entire species and didn't blink an eye in that movie.

I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel. I'm surprised it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

But for General Zod - The survival of his race, which he's mostly responsible for destroying (or am I mis-remembering that detail?), comes at the expense of destroying the human race.

It's not as simple as killing a few humans so a few kryptonians can survive, but genociding the entire human race into extinction so a few kryptonians can survive.

Zod didn't kill krypton it was the Council who refused to believe Jor-El's warnings. Zod, whose DNA encoded purpose was to ensure the survival of his species, actually believed Jor-El and launched a coup attempt to take over the government and evacuate the planet.

Zod was birthed with the task of ensuring his people's survival. Good and bad are relative terms in this instance.

Consider him like a computer program just running a script. He was doing what he was programmed to do.

It's like setting an alarm clock and then calling it bad when it goes off.

That's not true at all. There was no reason to destroy humanity in order to recreate Krypton. With the World Engine at his disposal, he could've taken a quick trip to uninhabited Venus and turned it into New Krypton.

There was no valid reason to commit genocide against humanity.

That right there, is why I supported Lex Luthor. Sure that duded did some shit, but in the end he knows what the reality is with Superman. Injustice is a real look into that possibility, and superman is just one bad day away from being a God we cant deal with..

Not necessarily. Injustice only works because Superman has allies. By himself, he very beatable vs. the D.C. Universe.

Krypton had its chance. It was gone and it's people extinct. Superman was raised by humans, he didn't betray his race, he saved it.

It speaks volumes about yourself that you'd describe a character who's sole purpose is to erradicate the human race from the galaxy, as 'not a bad guy.'

I think it's hard to disagree with the fact that this planet and thus the universe (to a tiny degree) would be better off without human beings.
Of course at this point we have pretty much successfully destroyed the planet that has given us and many other species life so hopefully it won't take long anymore.

I think it's hard to disagree with the fact that this planet and thus the universe (to a tiny degree) would be better off without human beings.
I always find it fascinating when I hear pessimistic views of our own existance.

I'm always tempted to ask "Well, if the universe is better off without humans, by extension, the universe would be better off without you? So, do the universe, and everyone else, a favor and off yourself.

Of course at this point we have pretty much successfully destroyed the planet that has given us and many other species life so hopefully it won't take long anymore.

This is the brilliant mindset imposed by global warming / man-made climate change propaganda.

I agree with the legendary George Carlin on this matter...

That's not true at all. There was no reason to destroy humanity in order to recreate Krypton. With the World Engine at his disposal, he could've taken a quick trip to uninhabited Venus and turned it into New Krypton.

There was no valid reason to commit genocide against humanity.
Does Venus have water? It stands to reason Zod understood earth could sustain life namely primitive organisms. Earth is the perfect distance from the sun. Will the world engine cool Venus about 800 degrees?

I dont really disagree with any point you're making, but it doesn't really contradict anything I said. I thought Zod was an incredibly interesting villain. He was doing exactly what he was bred to do. There was literally no other action he was capable of taking. So while his actions to achieve his ends were reprehensible, his actions were not his purpose. He has a very specific goal in mind and pretty much felt that the ends justifies the means. If it suited his purpose better he would have gladly let Earth survive.

The newest Superman movie with Henry Cavill is playing. I have seen it before

It got me thinking.

General Zod at the end of the day wants his race to survive, yes that likely means at the expense of the human race living. However, General Zod wanting his race of people to survive at the expense of us homo-sapiens isn't that crazy. We as homo-sapiens aren't even unified and have routinely done a lot to destroy our planet and other species.

Superman who is an alien in the end decides to turn against General Zod and aides the humans in destroying Zod and his followers who are the only ones capable of restarting their race.

So Superman chose to help genocide his people from existence.

Sweet!
Your argument is essentially if the American indians were suddenly down to under 100 in population, but had the power to wipe out all living beings in North America to survive, and a sole American indian did everything he could to stop them.....

I dont really disagree with any point you're making, but it doesn't really contradict anything I said.

You're right, I'm just adding context.

I thought Zod was an incredibly interesting villain. He was doing exactly what he was bred to do. There was literally no other action he was capable of taking.
That aspect makes him alittle more uninteresting. Internal conflict makes every hero and villian far more interesting.

And Zod isn't half the character Magneto is.

So while his actions to achieve his ends were reprehensible, his actions were not his purpose. He has a very specific goal in mind and pretty much felt that the ends justifies the means. If it suited his purpose better he would have gladly let Earth survive.

And, as it turned out, his suited purpose would have been better achieved if he had found another planet.

Zod was the only CBM villain that had any depth and wasn't a caricature (lol @ ultron). Man of Steel is a top 5 CBM.

Does Venus have water? It stands to reason Zod understood earth could sustain life namely primitive organisms. Earth is the perfect distance from the sun. Will the world engine cool Venus about 800 degrees?

The only reason Venus is that hot is because of it's atmosphere and rotation, not because of its orbit. The World Engine had the power to complete transform both, from what I understood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back