Is it just me or does The UFC seem like a huge mess right now?

I think if you concentrate more on enjoying good fights and less on belts and the like, it's easier.

MMA has hit a point now where there isn't going to be a meaningful dry spell of good fights.

For obvious reasons...

Is it turning you off or damaging your enjoyment of the sport?
I'm 50/50.

HW is becoming great again with Stipe/ Ngannou.

Oezdemir is making LHW exciting after the departure of Jones, but seriously, fuck Jones for being a continual fuckup.

Whittaker is on a tear and could become a long reigning champ.

WW... meh (unless GSP returns)

LW WOULD be good if we had a defending champ. So many interesting matchups.

FW is exciting with Max and now Ortega.

BW just had an amazing fight with Cody/ TJ.

FLW might get interesting with an improved Cejudo and a possible TJ/ DJ fight.

So for me the only things dragging the UFC down are:
1. Conor not defending
2. Jones being Jones
3. Woodley making WW boring.

While I don’t mind a little bit of spectacle here and there, it can be a bit much at times. My biggest thing is fighters getting fucked over by the UFC. But it is the UFC after all...

HHUECoM.jpg

For obvious reasons...

I think they're doing fine. It wasn't a great year but now we got Ngannou v. Stipe coming up, biggest HW fight in years. They got Saki adding a little interest in LHW, Jones kind of destroyed this division but it'll rebound at some point. You have a young MW champ in Whittaker, that's exciting. Rockhold/Whittaker should be fun. You got GSP likely going down to WW if he's going to fight again, that'll be a big fight if he takes on Woodley just like GSP/Bisping was. Conor most likely will be back next year. Holloway is dangerous and took out Aldo again. Dillashaw/Cruz/Garbrandt/Rivera/Moraes/etc keep BW interesting. I think things are fine and they have a few new stars coming up.

Yeah in a major way.

HW - Good, consistent.
LHW - DC only got belt because Jones popped for steroids
MID - Belt held up for year only for GSP to win then drop it, so now Whittaker suddenly labeled champ.
WEL - One of the only consistent champs gives us two of the worst title defences ever back to back.
LW - Champ out for over a year with no sign of coming back. Do we just give it to Ferguson? Bad situation.
FW - Good now, but the division was a mess just a few month ago with the whole Aldo getting promoted to champ at same time Holloway/Pettis declared a interim bout. Was so weird but thankfully we may be back to normal now, for the first time in two years.
BW - Current champion doesn't want to fight in his division.
FW - Good, consistent.
WFW - Germaine gives up title to avoid Cyborg, so now Cyborg champion.

So many main events cancelled. 4 of the last 5 events for starters.

That's just the surface. Someone can write a book on how UFC collapsed in 2017. And UFC don't even care, they just want to get into boxing now.
The only non-defending champ I'll give a pass to is TJ since him vs DJ would be a super fight technique-wise. But overall, yeah.

It’s a little bit of a shit show but I think it’s just a transitioning period. The UFC will work things out. And as much as Sherdogers bitch about “money fights” we all still tune in. If the UFC made Mcgregor/Pierre tomorrow Sherdog would explode but you would all hate watch.

It’s a little bit of a shit show but I think it’s just a transitioning period. The UFC will work things out. And as much as Sherdogers bitch about “money fights” we all still tune in. If the UFC made Mcgregor/Pierre tomorrow Sherdog would explode but you would all hate watch.
I'm guilty

UFC dying... is normal. I've enjoyed this year in MMA quite a bit. Some people will bitch about ANYTHING. Literally.

I'd rather see a huge reset, tournament for each division. Fixed dates, can't show up, too bad.

Where you finish in the tournament is your rank and that determines what you get paid on your next contact.

It's a pipedream but I think it would be great.

I actually mentioned this in a thread the other day. As much as I enjoy a "Super Fight" or whatever people call it these days I miss having an actual road to the title lined up with clear cut title challengers.

It's like the UFC doesn't bother with any fighter that can't really help promote themselves, even if you're a champ these days no one is really safe. Unless you happen to be a promising star from a foreign country that the UFC hasn't checked off their been to map, you're pretty much forced to really make a good impression.

For obvious reasons...

It's annoying but it doesn't really bother me.Watching the ups and downs since UFC 1,no option for ppv for years,not having events for 6+ months,there's always good and bad always has been.I just look forward to events and the bullshit falls by the wayside for the most part.I'd love to see it run better but it is what it is.Since Zuffa bought it and put it back on PPV I think I have missed 2 events as they happen.

Good point.

But with all of the nonsense interm titles, silly gifted title shots, refusals to defend, contract disputes, colitis, etc...it must be wearing on many fans goodwill towards the org and the sport. No?
No

They are putting quantity over quality really. I used to look forward to every event. Now maybe less than half get me excited and really give me a sense of having something to wait for and look forward to.

Back