Is it just a coincidence that 170 has been dominated primarily by wrestlers for many years?

DeeDubb

Gracie Online Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It's mostly been American wrestlers with a power overhand to set up their takedowns (or GSP who set it up with his great jab).

Hughes, GSP, Hendricks, Woodley, and contenders like Fitch, Koscheck, Colby, Usman, etc, etc, etc... Why is 170 the weight class for wrestlers?

Didn’t think GSP was considered a wrestler like the others on the list.

You could probably name mulitple champs with a wrestling base for most weight classes. Wrestling is a great base, possibly the best. Es normal.

HW: Brock, Randy, Stipe, Coleman
LHW: Tito, Chuck, Cormier.

See?

Personally I love it.

Learn takedown defense and get good hands. That all you need to beat wrestlers.

Personally I love it.

Learn takedown defense and get good hands. That all you need to beat wrestlers.
LMAO, I guess you got it all figured out...Hope Paul Daley reads your answer then puts it all together.

170 is one of the deepest divisions. Striking based styles have inherently much more risk than wrestling because anyone can land a lucky shot from time to time. Since it is going to take more wins to climb to the top of a deep division its more likely the fighters that take less risk will end up at the top.

You could probably name mulitple champs with a wrestling base for most weight classes. Wrestling is a great base, possibly the best. Es normal.

See?

There's a difference between having a "wrestling base" and primarily utilizing wrestling. Out of the ones you mention, I wouldn't call Stipe or Chuck "wrestlers", at least.

LMAO, I guess you got it all figured out...Hope Paul Daley reads your answer then puts it all together.
Paul hasn’t worked hard enough. If I can get good enough to tap out purple belts in 7 months from a low level blue then he can stop takedowns

See?
yea only because rules favour wrasslers. cant knee when an opponent's hand touches the ground. cant hit the back of the head when wrasslers attempt to take you down. cant upkick.

Yeah the problem is most the strikers in the history of the division have terrible tdd lol.

It's mostly been American wrestlers with a power overhand to set up their takedowns (or GSP who set it up with his great jab).

Hughes, GSP, Hendricks, Woodley, and contenders like Fitch, Koscheck, Colby, Usman, etc, etc, etc... Why is 170 the weight class for wrestlers?
The lower 3 weights are not wrestler heavy, 170 up has a lot of great wrestlers

There's a difference between having a "wrestling base" and primarily utilizing wrestling. Out of the ones you mention, I wouldn't call Stipe or Chuck "wrestlers", at least.

By that logic, I wouldn’t call Tyron or Hendricks wrestlers. Probably Hughes too, as he subbed guys a lot.

By that logic, I wouldn’t call Tyron or Hendricks wrestlers. Probably Hughes too, as he subbed guys a lot.
Hughes used his wrestling a lot. Tyron and Hendricks were/are capable of taking down just about anybody, but their wrestling really just allowed them to dictate where the fight would happen. Loisestrad is a moron though.

The aerage male weight around the world is 170-190lb range

After weight cutting etc this is probably the division the largest number of people will fall into

Most fighters that reach championship level have a good wrestling background, particularly in the US where it is part of the general culture

It seems reasonable that the largest pool of guys that have grown up in that background would get to the top of the division

Rules are biased towards american wrestlers

yea only because rules favour wrasslers. cant knee when an opponent's hand touches the ground. cant hit the back of the head when wrasslers attempt to take you down. cant upkick.

The rules are highly biased towards strikers. If not for standups, clinch breaks, rounds which start on the feet even if the previous one ended on the ground, and gloves to protect the hands when striking, Gay Hugging would be DOMINANT!

Gay Hugging is real fighting.

170 is one of the deepest divisions. Striking based styles have inherently much more risk than wrestling because anyone can land a lucky shot from time to time. Since it is going to take more wins to climb to the top of a deep division its more likely the fighters that take less risk will end up at the top.

Among the theories in here , this is the most compelling for sure.

The rules are highly biased towards strikers. If not for standups, clinch breaks, rounds which start on the feet even if the previous one ended on the ground, and gloves to protect the hands when striking, Gay Hugging would be DOMINANT!

Gay Hugging is real fighting.

The cage, itself benefits wrestling. Harder to evade takedowns with a cage behind you.

Paul hasn’t worked hard enough. If I can get good enough to tap out purple belts in 7 months from a low level blue then he can stop takedowns

but you cant develop the type of striking paul has either.

imagine paul sayin i was knocking out good strikers after 1 year of training, why cant others do so at a high level

paul cant wreslte as good as the wrestlers for the same reason they cant strike like paul.

Last edited:
Back