Is it insulting that a ufc fighter With a boxing style had to box to break records and make millions

Boxing superfights will always trump MMA superfights when it comes to tickets and PPV.

No MMA fight will ever come close to Mayweather-Pacquiao PPV gate or PPV buys. Never.
"Will always" is a poorly thought out statement. It's obvious you have zero foresight that there will definitely be dry times for boxing and MMA alike in the future, and it wouldn't be illogical to assume that their peaks and valleys won't match up timewise.

Of course, you can always retreat to that it's not a boxing superfight if it doesn't beat every MMA fight.

Yes, maybe no MMA fight will ever come close to Mayweather-Pacquiao. But guess what, no other boxing fight has ever been remotely close to that buyrate either, including Pacquiao's and Mayweather's collected back catalogues. Mayweather's next fight after that one did an estimated 400.000 buys, Conor would smash that in any MMA fight. Too bad he's going to embarass himself sportwise.

It's insulting that Floyd makes more in one fight than the entire UFC roster does in one calendar year combined.

Arent Floyd and other top boxers the actual promoters of their matches? As opposed to UFC fighters that are contracted to the promoter?

Huh?

1) MMA is still catching up to boxing when it comes to top end PPV sales and gates.

2) WME has a stranglehold on revenues and will for quite some time. UFC fighters only earn a fraction of what they should

3) UFC cards aren't as topheavy where the main even fighters gets 99.9% of the cards revenue

If Conor returns to the UFC, he'll demand a bigger take for sure. And the UFC may have to lower the quality of other fighters on his cards to accommodate.

No not really. Do people not realize how young of a sport mixed martial arts is?

Boxing was first included as an olympic sport in 688 BC whereas Pankration was first included in 648 BC. In a more modern sense the Marquess of Queensberry Rules was first introduced in 1867 since then boxing went on to be the premier form of prizefighting. "MMA" used to be called No Holds Barred fighting and mainly went on as a form of underground fighting much like Bare Knuckle Boxing. A version of NHB was developed in Brazil which was called Vale Tudo.

MMA didn't really become that notable until the introduction of the UFC around 1990. The UFC was basically NHB until Zuffa took over around 2000. During this same timeframe is when Pride Fighting Championships was developed and started to go mainstream. The Zuffa version of UFC and Pride FC is what turned MMA into a legitimate sport. So essentially as a widely recognized sport MMA is around 20 years old whereas boxing is nearly 150 years old.

Even then at the stage MMA is at is has predominantly attracted the type of fighters that are hard to market. Boxers can make more money in boxing so they go that route. Kickboxers make more money in kickboxing and muay thai fighters tend to make more money in muay thai. So for the most part the majority of people entering MMA are BJJ practitioners and NCAA wrestlers who have a hard time making money in their sport other than fighting mma. Most BJJ grapplers and NCAA wrestlers suck at striking so they look like a bunch of bums to people who train or watch boxing, kick boxing or muay thai. For the UFC to pay fighters more they need to keep attracting a wider base of fans. At this point the most affluent combat fans all watch boxing. So if a MMA fighter wants to make any real money he will need to win over boxing fans. If the UFC brings in more boxers and boxing fans start seeing MMA fighters than can actually box as well as grapple and utilize muay thai they will get intrigued and that will draw a lot more money in.

Boxing superfights will always trump MMA superfights when it comes to tickets and PPV.

No MMA fight will ever come close to Mayweather-Pacquiao PPV gate or PPV buys. Never.

Really?
Because I always read some unimpressive PPV figures for boxing (with very few exceptions), but the stars on the main event somehow walk away with 20 mil plus.
How does that work? More money for the big name stars and less for the promoter?

Ok, the exception is May/Pac, which got 4.6 million PPV buys.
For our sake, let's divide that by 4 and say it was 1.1 million. Now divide May/Pac purses by 4.
Now look at your typical million PPV UFC. Are they getting 1/4 of what May/Pac made?

Well mma doesn't have a big a name as Floyd, if there was another Conor type figure around his weight class in the ufc then that would've been what Conor took rather than this boxing match.

Really?
Because I always read some unimpressive PPV figures for boxing (with very few exceptions), but the stars on the main event somehow walk away with 20 mil plus.
How does that work? More money for the big name stars and less for the promoter?

Ok, the exception is May/Pac, which got 4.6 million PPV buys.
For our sake, let's divide that by 4 and say it was 1.1 million. Now divide May/Pac purses by 4.
Now look at your typical million PPV UFC. Are they getting 1/4 of what May/Pac made?

Boxing is set up differently than UFC
Not that UFC could not pay more, but they are different in how money is made

UFC has TV deals in place & in places where they do not have PPV, a big event fight does not bring them in higher revenue

In boxing a big event fight is not already part of an existing deal so they negotiate across the globe for the rights to broadcast the fight

Also corporate sponsors for Boxing dwarfs UFC/MMA, due to the old school money in Boxing.

so a 1m buy PPV fight might make similar money in PPV , but the worldwide TV rights & sponsorship dwarf anything UFC/MMA does

because sadly in his own sport there fighters who would lnp, dry hump, wall and stall, use takedowns which amount to nothing, grapple into no damage or resolution, and in general use wrestling, in effect boring the fans to death and removing all sense of spectacle which was given to us in mcg vs aldo, mcg vs Nate, etc. where it looks like we're watching two guys actually fight instead of a guy implementing a wrestling game plan p4p doing the least amount of damage.

Lol i wonder if mcg could enter an ncaa wrestling tournament, or a Bjj competition and break all conceivable gate, purse, and ppv records like he can do w the sport of boxing. Lol does it insult all the wrestlers whose sport dosent pay shit lol
He had to fight the biggest name in sports the past 15 years...who happens to be a boxer. Boxing is an old sport with old money. Naturally there's more publicity, advertisement, betting etc which means more cash potential. Mma is closing the game and I'd wager it surpasses boxing pay within 10 years

People like TS are literally my least favorite kind of fans.

If you only want to see people punch each other there's a sport for just that, it's called boxing.
Be honest do all the black guys make you uncomfortable?

Players like Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo are A+++ level athletes. They could dominate any sport with the right training. MMA can only dream of having athletes on that level
Neymar is a beta

I dunno Mayweather/Pacquiao was way more boring than 95% of MMA fights...

People like TS are literally my least favorite kind of fans.

If you only want to see people punch each other there's a sport for just that, it's called boxing.
Be honest do all the black guys make you uncomfortable?

Lol I'm not against grappling I explained that in a previous post in this thread. I'm against stalling and "control" and diving for desperation takedowns after getting rocked (ironically something Conor did. I'm not a Conor fan btw; this is a thread to demean lnp fighters who are hurting the sport )and calling it 'fighting'. Lol at you bringing race into the equation. As a white man living in the hood after getting out of the marines and having spent time in boxing gyms in Newark nj (even met Larry hazard) while my drug addict white brother recovered, using boxing as a type of outlet, I can assure you that I'm more comfortable around blacks than your cuck pussy ass is bitch lol

Lol I'm not against grappling I explained that in a previous post in this thread. I'm against stalling and "control" and diving for desperation takedowns after getting rocked (ironically something Conor did. I'm not a Conor fan btw; this is a thread to demean lnp fighters who are hurting the sport )and calling it 'fighting'. Lol at you bringing race into the equation. As a white man living in the hood after getting out of the marines and having spent time in boxing gyms in Newark nj (even met Larry hazard) while my drug addict white brother recovered, using boxing as a type of outlet, I can assure you that I'm more comfortable around blacks than your cuck pussy ass is bitch lol
Point still stands, control is part of the sport. Don't like it watch boxing (better athletes, more skill and more punching) then you can complain about those "boring" point fighters and grinders.

Back