Is it impossible to be a Liberal and Christian?

ConnorMacGregod

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was watching fox and one of those very intelligent lady said you cant be a Liberal and a Christian, is that so?. I am a Liberal and a also believe I am a Christian but is she right? I'm I only a Liberal or a Christian? If so I wouldnt know which to choose.

I was watching fox and one of those very intelligent lady said you cant be a Liberal and a Christian, is that so?. I am a Liberal and a also believe I am a Christian but is she right? I'm I only a Liberal or a Christian? If so I wouldnt know which to choose.
Some people are too bitter to stop looking at things in black and white.

ONe of the things that I have noticed in my 40-odd years is that all too often liberalism is an exit ramp out of Christianity. Friends and acquaintances that I have seen go from being conservative to liberal, inevitably the majority of times, also end up at some point leaving behind their Christian faith altogether. Liberal Christianity is not a steady state. It is a transitional stage towards less and less religion altogether.

I could easily make a list of 30+ people I have seen this happen in. They were conservative Christians, became liberal fully intending to remain Christian, but over time ended up renouncing Christianity altogether.

Also important to note is that I have never EVER seen this happen in the other direction. I have never seen someone who was a non-Christian conservative become more liberal and as a corollary come to embrace the Christian faith, much less as a stable steady life-choice.

Your religious leanings have nothing to do with your political leanings.

There are Christian liberals and atheist conservatives.

Basing your political leanings on your religion is how shit like Sharia Law happens.

A central question would be...are your "liberal" views on social issues such as marriage and abortion in line with scripture?

Of course it isn't true. There was a similar thread a few years back about Republicans being unable to follow the teachings of Christ. Usually the people saying such things are hyper political and have a poor understanding of the Christian perspective.

Christianity isn't a politically absolute religion. It's a big reason it is one of the few religions that has thrived in many very different cultures and political settings.

Last edited:
Anyone can be saved by the blood atonement of Christ Jesus at any time or moment in this current era of dispensation by Grace.

It's not based on you or your works. No past, present, or future successes or failures matter for salvation.

That said if you choose to be carnal, expect to suffer great loss when you stand before the judgment seat of Christ. You'll still be saved, but don't expect any crowns and don't expect any treasure waiting for you.

Both sides run countermand to the teachings of Jesus in very different ways. I dont see why being on either side would include or exclude one from christianity.

Anyone can be saved by the blood atonement of Christ Jesus at any time or moment in this current era of dispensation by Grace.

It's not based on you or your works. No past, present, or future successes or failures matter.

That said if you choose to be carnal, expect to suffer great loss when you stand before the judgment seat of Christ. You'll still be saved, but don't expect any crowns and don't expect any treasure waiting for you.

Do you guys really believe there are levels of membership in heaven, and that you get treasure? Please explain.

Do you guys really believe there are levels of membership in heaven, and that you get treasure? Please explain.
Yes there is.

Open your Bible for once and work on building you're relationship with the Lord. Maybe then this wouldn't catch you as such a surprise.

I'm righteous and cool so there's gonna be a Scrooge McDuck style vault full of riches waiting for me in heaven.

Yes there is.

Open your Bible for once and work on building you're relationship with the Lord. Maybe then this wouldn't catch you as such a surprise.

Why would you need crowns and pleasure when the only purpose of heaven is to worship the lord? The idea of tiers and physical rewards sounds incredibly earthly, gross, and man invented.

Please list where the Bible promises one treasures, given Jesus' views on wealth, and the idea that you cant take riches with you when you die.

There are many different sects of Christianity. Some are notorious for being conservative/traditional and some are notorious for being liberal/progressive.

As America was founded and settled by Brits, different populations settled in different areas, Quakers in the Northeast, Puritans in New England, Anglicans in the South etc. These people's and sects can be traced back to certain areas of Britain and shaped the religion and politics of the areas they settled and to an extent there is still continuity in this regard, at least in the areas of the original 13 colonies.

There is a book that I'm looking to read that describes this history.

Albions Seed: Four British Folkways in America

albionsseed.jpg

uk-origins3.png

Why would you need crowns and pleasure when the only purpose of heaven is to worship the lord? The idea of tiers and physical rewards sounds incredibly earthly, gross, and man invented.

Please list where the Bible promises one treasures, given Jesus' views on wealth, and the idea that you cant take riches with you when you die.

There are such passages. The question is weather the language used is meant to be taken literally or figuratively.

There are such passages. The question is weather the language used is meant to be taken literally or figuratively.

I remember the MY father's house has many rooms passage, but it seems odd that God would arm you with treasure when your sole purpose is to eternally praise him, and especially so considering his son's views on money.

I remember the MY father's house has many rooms passage, but it seems odd that God would arm you with treasure when your sole purpose is to eternally praise him, and especially so considering his son's views on money.

I'm no theologian. As @bigfoot said there are different ways that people interpret the bible.

I've heard people make the point that God is the Creator and we are made in God's image. Therefore, it could be interpreted that we are meant to be creators too. So by creating we are praising God. Not sure if that changes your perspective at all.

Also, Joseph and Jesus were carpenters, for profit.

I'm no theologian. As @bigfoot said there are different ways that people interpret the bible.

I've heard people make the point that God is the Creator and we are made in God's image. Therefore, it could be interpreted that we are meant to be creators too. So by creating we are praising God. Not sure if that changes your perspective at all.

Also, Joseph and Jesus were carpenters, for profit.

To be fair, the vast majority of Jews from Galilee lived at the subsistence level. This is why Jesus would have had to venture out to place like Tiberias and Sepphoris in order to get work. So to say he made profit might be stretching is haha.

To be fair, the vast majority of Jews from Galilee lived at the subsistence level. This is why Jesus would have had to venture out to place like Tiberias and Sepphoris in order to get work. So to say he made profit might be stretching is haha.

So they performed their trade for what, free? subsistence?

You know there aren't large forests in the holy land right? Lumber is a fairly precious commodity. That's why most structures are built of stone in that region. How do you think they obtained lumber? They just went out and harvested materials by hook and crook?

Edit: There are the "Cedars of Lebanon" in the Holy Land which were prized for millennia. Still they were viewed as a precious resource and most likely fetched a pretty penny when exporterd/imported for use in carpentry and woodworking.

Last edited:
Back