Is it harder to RNC or Guillotine someone with a thick neck?

machidafan99

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Is it harder to RNC someone with a thick neck????
Or guillotine.

Last edited:
It's going to depend on the person's familiarity and experience with each choke. I have a training partner that almost never does RNCs but does a lot of guillotines. And another does does a lot of guillotines but not a lot of RNCs. I'm sure their answers would differ greatly. And in matches or fights there are examples of people with tough necks tapping immediately to both or being able to withstand both for a long time.

I don't think it's clear cut. Also in many ways I think it's easier to choke a big neck than a pencil neck. At least with a big neck it's easy to close the space. With small necks it can be trickier to take away all the space that you need.

A RNC locked and properly applied is the highest percentage submission, not the guillotine.

you can generate more force with a rnc, a clean on the neck rnc is the strongest sub of all.

If both are clean honestly about the same for me.

A RNC locked and properly applied is the highest percentage submission, not the guillotine.
I'm on board with that but the question in my mind was assuming that you've got it locked up and you're ready to finish. And I'd say that if there's a difference that it's a pretty small one. A deep rnc and a deep high elbow guillotine is pretty much lights out for anyone, regardless of how big or small their neck is.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I think the RNC is the signature technique of bjj and arguably the most powerful, and for good reason.

I'm on board with that but the question in my mind was assuming that you've got it locked up and you're ready to finish. And I'd say that if there's a difference that it's a pretty small one. A deep rnc and a deep high elbow guillotine is pretty much lights out for anyone, regardless of how big or small their neck is.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I think the RNC is the signature technique of bjj and arguably the most powerful, and for good reason.

Agree

Honestly though I think I can get more force when the legs are involved. So no gi something like a Peruvian necktie. In the gi the modified bow and arrow where you switch your hips and put your bottom leg behind their head.

it kinda depends on how well they can defend their neck with their big stupid face.

some fat dudes and muscular dudes can dig their chin into their shoulders or chest and make it hard to fish in there. same with beards.

not to argue with ol rage but i think you can get a lot more pullin heat off of a guillotine using your legs and back than you can pushin with your arms in an RNC.

i do have trouble finishing smaller people in darces and arm triangles with my monkey arms without squeezing the shit out of their little baby heads. lately i've been using a lot more chest pressure with those techniques and just sort've rolling my oaf ass on top to get em.

personally, i love hitting big-necked fuckers with ezekiels. you don't really need a whole lot of 'oomph' once it's on, but i feel like when you do put the heat on people tap pretty quickly.

it kinda depends on how well they can defend their neck with their big stupid face.

some fat dudes and muscular dudes can dig their chin into their shoulders or chest and make it hard to fish in there. same with beards.

not to argue with ol rage but i think you can get a lot more pullin heat off of a guillotine using your legs and back than you can pushin with your arms in an RNC.

i do have trouble finishing smaller people in darces and arm triangles with my monkey arms without squeezing the shit out of their little baby heads. lately i've been using a lot more chest pressure with those techniques and just sort've rolling my oaf ass on top to get em.

personally, i love hitting big-necked fuckers with ezekiels. you don't really need a whole lot of 'oomph' once it's on, but i feel like when you do put the heat on people tap pretty quickly.

Let's put it this way, a properly applied rnc is going to crush your opponents jaw, you ain't just using your arms in that kind of squeeze... If you have long arms, sometimes it can get tricky, you gotta work on your squeeze man...

Let's put it this way, a properly applied rnc is going to crush your opponents jaw, you ain't just using your arms in that kind of squeeze...

You can choke someone out with the rnc over the jaw if have a good angle. Not sure you can actually break someones facial bones with it.

I have a training partner that almost never does RNCs but does a lot of guillotines. And another does does a lot of guillotines but not a lot of RNCs.

¿So both of them prefer guillotines to RNCs?

On a tangential note, if you don't give a fuck you can just lock your forearm blade across their eyes in the notch between their brow and nose. Taps out both opponents and friendships in seconds!

you gotta work on your squeeze man...

i squeeze good dude! promise! i'm a fuckin oaf. i try to hit subs with as little strength as possible while rolling and tell myself it's 'technique.' Honestly, i'm just worried that if i went balls-out all the time nobody would train with me. Plus I'm out of shape and pretty washed up and don't want to roll that hard with the killers :)

I have shorter arms and sometimes feel like my grip slips off my bicep/tricep and loosens the pressure on my rear naked strangle when I've got some fuckin 20" neck monster, but guillotine-wise I don't really ever have that problem. So I'd say for me it's more difficult problematic to find that rear naked strangle finish on a thickneck asshole than it is to just guillotine em, but that's just me. One data point on the graph.

i squeeze good dude! promise! i'm a fuckin oaf. i try to hit subs with as little strength as possible while rolling and tell myself it's 'technique.' Honestly, i'm just worried that if i went balls-out all the time nobody would train with me. Plus I'm out of shape and pretty washed up and don't want to roll that hard with the killers :)

I sense some sarcasm in here... If you are having problems with your long arms, then you are having a squeezing problem, I promise!

I literally give 2 fucks about where my opponent put his face/chin/hands in the choke, if I got the rnc fully locked behind the head, his face/chin/hands are not going to save him... May be buy him some time. you cant chin your way out a fully locked well applied rnc

Last edited:
I have shorter arms and sometimes feel like my grip slips off my bicep/tricep and loosens the pressure on my rear naked strangle when I've got some fuckin 20" neck monster, but guillotine-wise I don't really ever have that problem. So I'd say for me it's more difficult problematic to find that rear naked strangle finish on a thickneck asshole than it is to just guillotine em, but that's just me. One data point on the graph.

Normally the problem with those guys is not the size of their necks, is that they have no neck lol

RNC. Mechanically I would say is the best, safest, surest choke out there.....however, there are those whose guillotine and triangles give the mighty rear choke a run for its money.....with all that said....still not the safest way to kill a lion....

Interesting, I always assumed short armed guys favored RNC and long armed guys the guillotine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back