Is it dishonorable to refuse a rubber match?

Of course Bisping is ducking but his comments about Luke not fighting are true. I don't see how anyone can deny either one. Bisping hasn't even fought a top 10 MW since becoming champ and Rocksalt hadn't fought anyone till Branch.

Bisping might have never earned a title fight. Instead he got one for stepping in on short notice. Credit to him for making the most of it but most people know he got lucky based on the first meeting with Rocksalt. He's the Matt Serra of MW. Serra probably wouldn't have gotten a shot at GSP if he had to go through any top contenders rather than getting his shot off a reality show.

bisping already knocked out luke in sparring. the first fight was the fluke and bisping proved it in the rematch.

I for one consider this rivalry done with.

Never heard this. Does Luke confirm or deny it?

His first defense was against an old man devoid of his TRT. His second "defense" is against an inactive WW who has never even fought at MW.

Part of me feels like Bisping owes Rockhold that rubber match. If I beat you, then you beat me, I feel like it's only right to meet for the third time to end the debate once and for all. Bisping retiring without the rubber match seems like a bitch move to me.

What say you?

I can't make polls.

1. To say Dan Henderson was kinda worthless cause he's old and no longer on TRT is crazy. Even if the man was old his skills are amazing. If Henderson had landed another H-Bomb TRT or no TRT Bisping would've been dreaming like the first fight they had.

2. Luke Rockhold has done nothing to help his cause in getting a rematch since being KO'd by Bisping. If he had fought another top 3 contender during that time he would have a right to call for the next shot. In the Branch fight Rockhold got rocked by Branch in the first round. If Branch had really good standup Rockhold would've been KO'd. Yes Rockhold won but it was against the #9 contender not a top 3.

3. Bisping defending the title against GSP is an excellent fight and will put more money in his pocket than a rematch with Rockhold. Yes GSP has been out of the sport for sometime but we are talking about the #1 GOAT WW and the #2 GOAT MMA with Fedor being #1. If you think GSP is an easy fight for Bisping as most casual fans of MMA believe you are mistaken. GSP will more than likely win this fight in classic GSP fashion.

What say you?

I've no desire to see Bisping vs Rockhold again, I don't want to see Conor vs Nate again either. 1-1 is fine there are plenty of other fights to make that are better fights.
What if the 3rd fight is a draw does there have to be a 4th.....
Wanderlei was 2-0 up against Rampage so I guess we need 2 more as they're 2-1.

I tend to think it's a bit cowardly to duck rubber matches regardless of reason. But being a successful fighter is as much about matchmaking as anything and most duck here and there.

But Bisping is ducking all legit threats, not just Rockhold.

He's on another level of cowardice entirely. I get that he wants to enjoy the moment, maximize PPV points, and not lose brain cells, but if he isn't willing to fight contenders after GSP (who he'll probably beat) it's time to strip him. Gotta move the division along.

He never had that championship mentality cause he never been a championship caliber fighter, guys like DC, Cain and many others always talk about rematches because they want to make an statement, it's insane how much Bisping has milking his Serra moment and I can't wait until it ends

rockhold doesnt deserve a title shot after beating david branch. end of story.

1. To say Dan Henderson was kinda worthless cause he's old and no longer on TRT is crazy. Even if the man was old his skills are amazing. If Henderson had landed another H-Bomb TRT or no TRT Bisping would've been dreaming like the first fight they had.

2. Luke Rockhold has done nothing to help his cause in getting a rematch since being KO'd by Bisping. If he had fought another top 3 contender during that time he would have a right to call for the next shot. In the Branch fight Rockhold got rocked by Branch in the first round. If Branch had really good standup Rockhold would've been KO'd. Yes Rockhold won but it was against the #9 contender not a top 3.

3. Bisping defending the title against GSP is an excellent fight and will put more money in his pocket than a rematch with Rockhold. Yes GSP has been out of the sport for sometime but we are talking about the #1 GOAT WW and the #2 GOAT MMA with Fedor being #1. If you think GSP is an easy fight for Bisping as most casual fans of MMA believe you are mistaken. GSP will more than likely win this fight in classic GSP fashion.

1. What was Hendo's ranking at the time of the fight? What was his win/loss in his past 10 fights prior? The fight is an irrelevant title defense. And the fact that Bisping almost got KO'd AGAIN makes matters worse for Bisping's legacy.

2. You're right.

3. It's an excellent "super fight." It's a money fight for sure. And I'm sure a great deal of skill will be displayed. But it is still an irrelevant title defense and does nothing for Bisping's legacy. But he clearly doesn't care about legacy. He just wants the big paydays.

I hope GSP wins, but I don't see it happening.

no way jose. defenses against nobodies is still better than no defenses. Carla,serra,and barnetts getting stripped and going to japan for the remainder of his prime years are all worse to me, for various reasons. also jons most recent "reign" technically doesn't even exist in the record books
Serra > Bisping

If Serra's title reign looked like Bisping's then he would have defended his title against Shonie Carter and then sit for months chasing Jen pulver for a fight at 170.

No instead he beat GSP then signed on to fight Hughes. Then when Hughes pulled out he didn't skip a beat and signed on to fight GSP on short notice.

If Bisping's title reign looked like they after he beat Rockhold he would have signed on to fight a top contender and then after they pulled out because of injury fought Rockhold.

Instead he got brutalized by old man Dan and been chasing a retired WW.

no way jose. defenses against nobodies is still better than no defenses. Carla,serra,and barnetts getting stripped and going to japan for the remainder of his prime years are all worse to me, for various reasons. also jons most recent "reign" technically doesn't even exist in the record books
not to mention guys like Pat Miletich, Randleman, Carlos Newton, Forrest Griffin, et al from yesteryear who just would not do well against today crop of fighters. Bisping may not be the strongest UFC champion by a long shot, but he's a guy who's been winning more than losing against top ten guys in the past several years. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Yes. But, tbh, i'd rather see bisping retire with that win and luke stay salty lol.
I'd love to see him beat GSP, then fight Nick Diaz and retire. By then those aging Brazilians (Romero, and Jacare) will be out of the picture without ever getting a title shot.

rockhold hasn't done anything to earn a rematch at this point. He never defended his title and has one win since Bisping beat him.

Serra > Bisping
No instead he beat GSP then signed on to fight Hughes. Then when Hughes pulled out he didn't skip a beat and signed on to fight GSP on short notice.
What? Serra signed to fight Hughes, then Serra pulled out with a back injury which is what set up Hughes GSP 3 for the interim belt which GSP won. Then GSP had the rematch with Serra once Serra was healed up. It was a year between GSP / Serra one and two.

I'd love to see him beat GSP, then fight Nick Diaz and retire. By then those aging Brazilians (Romero, and Jacare) will be out of the picture without ever getting a title shot.
Romero is Cuban. He speaks Spanish not Portuguese.

1. What was Hendo's ranking at the time of the fight? What was his win/loss in his past 10 fights prior? The fight is an irrelevant title defense. And the fact that Bisping almost got KO'd AGAIN makes matters worse for Bisping's legacy.

2. You're right.

3. It's an excellent "super fight." It's a money fight for sure. And I'm sure a great deal of skill will be displayed. But it is still an irrelevant title defense and does nothing for Bisping's legacy. But he clearly doesn't care about legacy. He just wants the big paydays.

I hope GSP wins, but I don't see it happening.

I had originally thought Hendo was ranked 8 or 9 after doing a search of rankings at that time he wasn't even in the top 10. The fight was irrelevant when looking at it as champion fighting someone that wasn't even in the top 10 in rankings. When you look at it from a stand point of selling seats, money earnings, promoting the fight and avenging a prior devastating KO loss it was a complete success. Still got to give Bisping respect he KO'd Rockhold who was supposed to have steamrolled him and he beat Anderson Silva luckily being saved by the bell to avoid being KO'd himself. Now he fights against GSP of which he believes will be an easy fight for him. Win or lose the man beat the champion for the belt, avoided top contenders for bigger money fights which seems to be the trend with UFC champions as of late.

Shows how tough Wanderlei was.

Already KO'ed Rampage twice in PRIDE. Knew he was past his prime, having been KO'ed since by Cro Cop and Hendo, yet still gave Rampage a third opportunity in the UFC.

Every champion would have multiple defenses if they could fight "nobodies" get bispings dick out of your mouth

Last edited:
Back