Is it a good idea to start boxing with Boxing Fitness then join a gym if I want to compete?

senseiyang

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Basically what my title says. I've been wanting to box for quite some time now, even got myself down to proper weight, but I still haven't joined an actual boxing gym. I'm currently enrolled in a BJJ gym that has Muay Thai and Boxing Fitness, but they currently are not actively training boxers to fight, even though the head Muay Thai coach has had extensive training as well as pro fights as a boxer/muay thai fighter. They compete in Muay Thai and BJJ, but for the few straight up boxers that I've spoken to (the ones that show up to the Boxing for Fitness classes), the gym primarily looks to go to smoker events instead (Smoker = unsanctioned amateur boxing fight, ie sparring match vs another school). During the Boxing Fitness classes, the coach does focus a lot on technique, but should I be looking to join an actual boxing gym if I plan on competing? (Yes, I do indeed plan on doing amateur boxing.) Thanks for any and all inputs!

Just added info: I'm currently 28, 5'2 and 133 lbs, looking to achieve at least 5 amateur boxing matches in the next 2-3 years.

Basically what my title says. I've been wanting to box for quite some time now, even got myself down to proper weight, but I still haven't joined an actual boxing gym. I'm currently enrolled in a BJJ gym that has Muay Thai and Boxing Fitness, but they currently are not actively training boxers to fight, even though the head Muay Thai coach has had extensive training as well as pro fights as a boxer/muay thai fighter. They compete in Muay Thai and BJJ, but for the few straight up boxers that I've spoken to (the ones that show up to the Boxing for Fitness classes), the gym primarily looks to go to smoker events instead (Smoker = unsanctioned amateur boxing fight, ie sparring match vs another school). During the Boxing Fitness classes, the coach does focus a lot on technique, but should I be looking to join an actual boxing gym if I plan on competing? (Yes, I do indeed plan on doing amateur boxing.) Thanks for any and all inputs!

Just added info: I'm currently 28, 5'2 and 133 lbs, looking to achieve at least 5 amateur boxing matches in the next 2-3 years.
You may be a little old to turn pro but if you just want to do amatuer fights you should be fine. Sounds like you're already in pretty good shape so it's time to take the plunge and find a good boxing gym. If you want to concentrate on that and not any mma fights then it's vital. You need to compete within the rules so learning knees and chokes won't be of any use. You can usually find a good gym near you through the USA boxing program.

If it's called Boxing for Fitness then it likely isn't good enough for actually competition. You're definitely going to need a better gym for that. Chances are the people you would be fighting won't be from a fitness class.

Just join a boxing gym. Learn the technical aspects of the sport whist improving your strength and fitness

Thank you to all who have commented so far. I should refine my question as I've had a lot to think about and @Dolomite actually hit it on the spot. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start off with Boxing Fitness then once my arms have been accustomed to swinging, etc, I would make the move into a full fledged boxing gym. Thank you all again!

You may be a little old to turn pro but if you just want to do amatuer fights you should be fine. Sounds like you're already in pretty good shape so it's time to take the plunge and find a good boxing gym. If you want to concentrate on that and not any mma fights then it's vital. You need to compete within the rules so learning knees and chokes won't be of any use. You can usually find a good gym near you through the USA boxing program.
Tony Thompson started boxing at 28, Lucas Browne started boxing at 31. Sure you have to be talented but it's never to late sour pus

No the boxing Fitness place will give you sub par technique GO TO A REAL BOXING GYM.... You sound to be in Ok physical shape go to the gym and you'll have you first fight anywhere from two weeks to two years (no set standard) every human being is different. As I stated Lucas Browne started boxing at 31, anything is possible but this is a very tough sport. Be smart you can't play boxing like you can other sports so you want to make sure you have a trust worthy coach. While you're first learning don't go all out in sparring focus more on playing tag. If you want to fight start doing your road work now to get you ready for the gym. Run five miles, three times a week. Start focusing on your core as well.

No the boxing Fitness place will give you sub par technique GO TO A REAL BOXING GYM.... You sound to be in Ok physical shape go to the gym and you'll have you first fight anywhere from two weeks to two years (no set standard) every human being is different. As I stated Lucas Browne started boxing at 31, anything is possible but this is a very tough sport. Be smart you can't play boxing like you can other sports so you want to make sure you have a trust worthy coach. While you're first learning don't go all out in sparring focus more on playing tag. If you want to fight start doing your road work now to get you ready for the gym. Run five miles, three times a week. Start focusing on your core as well.

Thanks!

Back