is HW really the "baddest man on the planet" division?

cheezum

@purple
Reaction score
we've always considered the HW champ in MMA (and boxing) to be the baddest man on the planet. That is, the HW champ, due to his size can beat any man in the divisions below them.

is this really true though? there has to be an "ideal weight" though, a point (generally speaking, over a large sample size) at which a man has the perfect ratio of size to speed. is this really the HW division?

if you have two completely equally matched fighters in every area except size, does the bigger man always win? in all weight classes? is there a tipping point where the bigger man becomes too slow and speed wins? if we added on a couple more weight divisions above HW, would the top champ always win?

this is why i'm so interested in DC v Miocic, even though they will be fighting in the same weight classes, and are arguably not that different in weight.

Yes it is. And the perfect size seems to be between 230-245lbs.

Fedor
Nog
Cro Cop
Cain
Stipe
JDS
DC
Randy
Werdum

Weight classes exist for a reason. To protect everybody else from heavyweights killing them, the common “fan” they will see this way of thinking as flawed. But get punched by a guy the size of bob sapp and then you will understand better.

On average yes, a LHW or MW could beat a HW but if you took the top 20 HWs and pitted them against the top 20 of another division, more of the HWs would be favored than not.

Otherwise we would see a guy like Manuwa or OSP jump up to HW and be a top contender with their "superior athleticism and skills".

Yes. Stipe would be favoured to beat every single guy on the roster right now.

Well you don't see Conor challenge Stipe for belt.
<209Bitch>

we've always considered the HW champ in MMA (and boxing) to be the baddest man on the planet. That is, the HW champ, due to his size can beat any man in the divisions below them.

is this really true though? there has to be an "ideal weight" though, a point (generally speaking, over a large sample size) at which a man has the perfect ratio of size to speed. is this really the HW division?

if you have two completely equally matched fighters in every area except size, does the bigger man always win? in all weight classes? is there a tipping point where the bigger man becomes too slow and speed wins? if we added on a couple more weight divisions above HW, would the top champ always win?

this is why i'm so interested in DC v Miocic, even though they will be fighting in the same weight classes, and are arguably not that different in weight.
Not a Jones fan anymore, but i feel like he could do some damage in the HW division for sure, he has the perfect physique for mma it seems

No. MW or LHW.

Although I believe you have to consider the champion's skill set the answer is yes most of the time. Speaking in terms of MMA divisions, every now and then there may be a 205 lb champion capable of beating everyone on the roster 6 out of 10 times and maybe with much much less frequency than that there may be a 185 lb champion capable of the same feat.

The line is trending towards DC. I expect them to be even come event time

you sure about that? comparing the odds in this article to today, it's trending toward Stipe. also, that link i provided says it's trended toward Stipe -4%, DC +5%.

i'm guessing you follow these lines more than me, so if I'm reading this wrong, let me know. thanks.

I think Bones would have been able to win the HW belt, but I don't think he would be able to defend it more than a couple of times. HW is too random. I think Stipe has the record for defenses at 3.

Back