Is Hatsu Hioki one of the bigger UFC disapointments?

No one should have thought he would beat Aldo. He had no big wins and looked bad his first two UFC wins. It's easy to look good against lesser competition.

His striking was never up to par and his wrestling not good enough against guys with TDD.
His win over Marlon Sandro was a huge fucking win. What are you talking about?

He should have taken the title shot. He did terrible. I was super hyped.

First time I'm hearing this.
Gym talk stuff. Sandro was spoken about as the best guy out of Nova Uniao.
That got put to bed when Curran put him away.

Lol really? Didn't even have a sherdog account at the time so idk lol.
For 48 hours Papy Abedi was Sherdog's favourite fighter. I can't think of a fighter the entire community jumped on as quickly, or as an united, as Papy was here on Sherdog. It was hilarious.

I'd say it's no where as deep but there are quality fighters over there that can make the transition to the US.

Like I said before, a lot of Japanese fighters the UFC have brought over were already losing badly in Japan before they came to the US. It's unfair to expect them to do well anywhere when they're already getting their butts kicked in their home country. Hioki wasn't a case of that, and I was disappointed in his effort.

I wasn't as disappointed in him as I was in some fans' overloaded expectations. I never saw any threats which he could reply have presented to Aldo. Still, like I said, a good fighter and a great ground technician. He did put on one awesome performance on a UFC Japan card. His later slump was not what I'd expected, though. I just wasn't greatly surprises.

For 48 hours Papy Abedi was Sherdog's favourite fighter. I can't think of a fighter the entire community jumped on as quickly, or as an united, as Papy was here on Sherdog. It was hilarious.

It was all because of the hat

He just seemed so tentative in all of his UFC fights, it was hard to see his supposed potential.

Well he's Asian so I wasnt expecting much other than being fodder for highlight reels.
See Katsunori Kikuno (aka Kikungoat).

He had this strange TKD or something style, but was pretty much brought in to get KTFO by Ferguson and others.

He was seen as the guy to challenge Aldo for the FW belt and possibly take it. He declined the title shot because he felt he wasn't ready, only to lose to Lamas and start a 1-5 stretch where he was both submitted and KO'd for the first time in his career.

Then he gets cut which was the right decision. Perhaps he could regroup and work his way back to the big show. But now he's been KO'd cold in his last 2 Panrcase fights. His chin seems to be completely gone.

Not trying to bag on the guy. He's had a long, distinguished career and is a top 10 FW all-time. Just want to get some opinions.
Only japan nerds who worship eastern fighters thought he had any chance of beating aldo. he had no decent names on his record prior to the ufc and was undersized at FW.

Hioki is just p4p best when it comes to shitting the bed. All of his fights he's winning - until he isn't. It's like he'll take the foot off the pedal halfway through a fight, and let his opponent take over.

Lol really? Didn't even have a sherdog account at the time so idk lol.
Yeah man, it was actually a lowpoint for even Sherdog. People were all putting him in their sigs for favorite WW fighters, making threads on who would win between him and GSP... It really made me cry on the inside lol.

Hioki seemed legit and was excited when he got to the UFC . That Roop win was meh but his fight with Bart looked like he fot over the octagon jitters. Really thought he could've given Aldo a good fight but was hugely disappointed how his UFC run turned out. He stayed competitive at least but now it seems his chin in cracked and is now on the decline *sighs a sad one*

First time I'm hearing this.

Trained with Aldo and has success in Japan , also NU would praise him as their best fighter . Having a win over Sandro at the time was a legit one.

Back