Is Hard Sparring Productive?

Luke Rockholds (?) kick

Carmen_basilio's_left_hook
@White
Reaction score
To start this of i will explain in detail the boxing gym I used to go to and the sparring it had so basically we would go into a sparring session and as soon as we would get in range we would wing a overhand and when I rocked someone just like everyone else in the gym would when they are in a corner just swing for the bleachers basically when we had some one in a corner it was a balls to the wall fist fight can't be good for your brain it was 100% sparring and I myself attribute that to the bad coaching I had the coaches never told us to do technique sparring like looking back on it I should have been doing 30% power sparring sessions. Like I would leave with a headache after each sparring session I would like to hear others opinion on sparring wars and as to whether or not they are useful in my opinion technical sparring helps improve technique you don't learn anything from doing that more opinions on the matter thanks.

It didn't do your writing skills much good, that's for sure.

Unless you're a fighter making big money off of fighting, sparring hard every week is stupid. Setting yourself up for brain disease later on in your life, when you're just a regular 9-5iver, ask yourself is it even worth it.

Rarely ever went above 60%,although the times that did get a bit more competitive,it was pretty good fun

I'm not reading your horseshit, but close to a fight, the only worthwhile sparring is hard sparring.

Sparring is best for technique and timing. Unless you're looking to hurt/stop someone it's stupid to go 100%. Only time I've gone 100% is when someone doesn't want to or can't moderate their power then it's the only way to keep them off you.

To start this of i will explain in detail the boxing gym I used to go to and the sparring it had so basically we would go into a sparring session and as soon as we would get in range we would wing a overhand and when I rocked someone just like everyone else in the gym would when they are in a corner just swing for the bleachers basically when we had some one in a corner it was a balls to the wall fist fight can't be good for your brain it was 100% sparring and I myself attribute that to the bad coaching I had the coaches never told us to do technique sparring like looking back on it I should have been doing 30% power sparring sessions. Like I would leave with a headache after each sparring session I would like to hear others opinion on sparring wars and as to whether or not they are useful in my opinion technical sparring helps improve technique you don't learn anything from doing that more opinions on the matter thanks.
Story sounds like some kids having play fights in their garage and apparently one kid took too much damage and thinks he used to box.

Hard fukcing with your mum has always been productive for me. Now fukc off you little twerp.

I don't think it's particularly productive but it is what it is; you get hit in boxing!

I never trained at any gyms that encourage this type of sparring but I've sparred against guys that go hard especially when they've been hit! You just have to fight fire with fire in that situation and get their respect. And after all if you ever fight competitively you have to accept that your opponent is trying to knock you out.

If your gym encourages you to brawl in sparring, you're not going to learn much so I'd change gym. But you also have to accept that it is a dangerous sport and from time to time you are going to get hurt

Well every great fighter ever spars hard and gym wars

You can't just 50% spare and get anywhere. Sure if you're doing it for fun you don't need to go 100%

But if you want that as your job the question is about as dumb as you could ask when it comes to prize fighting.

But it's bad for your brain sherdoggiea say.

We need to tell boxers and MMA fighters that getting punched in the brain isn't good for your brain.

Man if they only knew.

Well every great fighter ever spars hard and gym wars

You can't just 50% spare and get anywhere. Sure if you're doing it for fun you don't need to go 100%

But if you want that as your job the question is about as dumb as you could ask when it comes to prize fighting.

But it's bad for your brain sherdoggiea say.

We need to tell boxers and MMA fighters that getting punched in the brain isn't good for your brain.

Man if they only knew.

Edit* you guys equating your sparring to what a professional does and what percentage is absurdly hilarious.

My coach is really good. He has us spar a lot but watches closely, advises to go at 30%, will step in if things get to heated, and if you get caught twice in the head during a sparring session that's it for the day. 30% is good target level because realistically some of it will be still be a bit harder, especially if the guys are competitive and in my case I have a hard time being both fast and light so sometimes hit my opponent bit harder then I should.

IMHO you should spar frequently (at least twice a week if your doing boxing recreationally, more if training for a fight) though because all other drills are just drills and no matter how good your imagination is for shadow boxing it doesn't really train you for the real cues of a guy coming at you, the breathing, really understanding how to pace yourself in a round, and getting used to being hit.

But most important thing is to have a coach that is in control of his gym and puts safety first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back