Is Hakuho the GOAT sumo wrestler?

akebono

RG-16C_med.jpg

someone wrote a real good article a little bit ago that was SUPER stat heavy and showed like all the winningest sumo wrestlers of all time. Puts a good perspective on Hakuho's dominance.

I haven't been following sumo long enough to be able to fairly compare him to other champions. So far though, he feels like Federer to me. Very technical, very elegant basic style. Can pull off a crazy run of victories at any time. And just look at his posture. Textbook straight back at every moment of every bout. It's beautiful.

Look at this one. Harumafuji is a GREAT grappler himself. But no one stops Hakuho on a good day.

I don't know enough to comment properly. Though I read something recently arguing Takanohana was greater, despite his penchant for injuries. They mentioned the level of competition at their respective times and implications in match-fixing.

Can any veterans comment?

it's obviously really tough to say, but i do think hauho is the best ever. he's at the top of pretty much all of the records, his reign at the top of the sport has been going on for so long, and his skill is phenomenal.

there are other figures who may be "greater" in terms of the impact they had (Hitachiyama, Futabayama, Taiho, Chiyonofuji, Takanohana, and others) and there are wrestlers that i like more than hakuho, but i definitely think he's the best.

but i've been following sumo since 2008 so although i've watched a lot of old sumo videos, i've only been present for the hakuho era.

I feel like Hakuho's "evil streak" needs to be factored in to his greatness as well. His entertainment value goes way up because of this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of people don't like him because of his "bad boy" antics such as not always acting Yokazuna-like outside of the ring, and his penchant for giving his opponents extra shoves after he's beaten them cleanly. Because of this he has the whole, some people watch to see his greatness, others watch to hope to see him fail, thing going on.

Personally, I love it. It's perfectly summed up by that situation a few Bashos ago where on the final match of the final day, Hakuho faced fellow Yokozuna Harumafuji. If he won the match, he won the tournament, but if he lost, he would be tied for first place with Kisenosato (who was looking for a tournament win to be promoted to Yokozuna himself), and have to immediately face him in a tie-breaker match.

Kisenosato watched from ringside. The fans were ecstatic. With so much on the line, this match would surely be a barn burner! The match starts...and Hakuho fakes Harumafuji out and sidesteps his initial charge. Harumafuji goes flying out of the doyo in one second without even touching his opponent. Hakuho wins. Kisenosato walks away in disappointment. The crowd boos. The announcers are silent.

And I couldn't wipe the shit-eating grin off of my face. The greatest ever had just trolled everyone. No fucks given.

Back