Is GSP’s legacy suffering?

no matter if you think he's a cherry picking duck or the GOAT, can't deny he's one of the greatest MMA fighters to do it.

the same complaints people have about GSP can be said exactly about Floyd Mayweather jr. the general consensus is still that Floyd is the greatest of this generation.

GSP plays the game well. He also never popped for roids which is huge. Add that to the fact he is very knowledgeable about working the media and coming off as a disciplined martial artist. All these things corporately secure his legacy.

That said, his fighting prowess is in question. GSP has never fought a guy who could out wrestle him. He never fought at a strength disadvantage. He never fought a great striker like Anderson Silva. He is a cherrypicker. This was set in stone by his ridiculous MW Title fight vs Bisping (not even top 5 MW at the time of the fight). Then he walks away and wants another cherrypicked fight.

GSP was the MMA politician of the Zuffa era.
Well said

gotta respect it tho, as you said he plays the game well.

Legacy secured, escapes the sport relatively unscathed and brain In tact, bags full of cash and highly respected across the board.

His legacy is quite secured, he'll go down as one of the best to ever do it.

A few asterisks, the grease incident, not really taking many risks throughout his career, most of his career was fought prior to USADA.

It's Impossible to deny his place In the sport though.
_UCuDfHgeGVZOV9mg9c7754enKdN-UbsS4tcqNhNolE.gif

no.. he's arguably the GOAT.

if you don't have GSP in your GOAT discussion you're a blind hater.

His legacy is just fine to anyone who isn't a dumb fuck.

Can’t take away from his impressive defense run but I feel like his legacy does hemorrhage when he keeps talking big but doesn’t take big challenges.

I started to get annoyed with him when he would try to finish fights and play it safe. Annoyed me when he felt like he had to grease against a smaller Penn too. But now with his career choices (fight picking) since he was gifted the Hendricks win, he is losing that mystique for sure.

We’ve seen many greats rise and fall. GSP made sure he would step off before he ever fell. Fans can sense fear in the choices a fighter makes and I think boldness is what fans want to see more of rather than cautiousness

Spin it any way you want but he did not push to finish fights. He fought as safe as he possibly could. He fought not to lose. Fighters who fight to win have finishes or at least flashy highlights.

Look if you wanna say he fought a risk adverse style to get wins that's fine, and I'd agree with that (I also don't blame him for doing it). But stop saying he 'didn't fight to win'. It makes absolutely no sense, and is completely contrary to the multitude of 50-45 or better scorecards he got.

For someone who went on so much about his legacy it seems he is making some suspect decisions recently, retiring after a heard fight with hendricks, finally moving up to MW after years of not wanting to fight Anderson only to fight Michael Bisping, then immediatly retires because he wants non of Whitaker or Romero..

Then he talks about fighting Conor....even Anderson has called him out on it recently and you cant blame him...sure Anderson has lost recently but there his fighting Isreal..

I am by no means downplaying GSP’s legact and accomplishments and I get the money aspect of big fights but why cant he challange himself like Anderson is doing?
Hendricks is a washed up goof GSP would cut through like a hot knife through butter. He already beat Jonny Roastbeef once so why is a rematch necessary?

yes he cherry picked an opponent much bigger than him, in a higher weight class , with excellent TD defence and cardio for years who is as tough as nails....
dumb cunts on here making out as Bisping being some pissweak
Slap yourself. This wasn't prime Bisping. Only GSP apologists think Bisping was a valid opponent. If Bisping was so tough, why didn't GDP defend the belt?

{<diva}

Oh and, quality job countering the points I made.

For someone who went on so much about his legacy it seems he is making some suspect decisions recently, retiring after a heard fight with hendricks, finally moving up to MW after years of not wanting to fight Anderson only to fight Michael Bisping, then immediatly retires because he wants non of Whitaker or Romero..

Then he talks about fighting Conor....even Anderson has called him out on it recently and you cant blame him...sure Anderson has lost recently but there his fighting Isreal..

I am by no means downplaying GSP’s legact and accomplishments and I get the money aspect of big fights but why cant he challange himself like Anderson is doing?

Here's the thing. GSP's legacy is so set in stone, that he could lose his next 5 fights and still be the GOAT.

Most top 10 fights and wins in MMA history. His legacy is fine

No, he’s earned the WW goat status and now he can do whatever he wants.

Haters gonna hate but what can you do...

Guy got Colitis. That disease is no joke.

Back