Is GSP’s legacy suffering?

I don’t think that he really has the passion for it anymore. It was basically a 10 year run of his life of nonstop media and huge events. I just think unless something comes along that really gets him going. He’s not interested.

For someone who went on so much about his legacy it seems he is making some suspect decisions recently, retiring after a heard fight with hendricks, finally moving up to MW after years of not wanting to fight Anderson only to fight Michael Bisping, then immediatly retires because he wants non of Whitaker or Romero..

Then he talks about fighting Conor....even Anderson has called him out on it recently and you cant blame him...sure Anderson has lost recently but there his fighting Isreal..

I am by no means downplaying GSP’s legact and accomplishments and I get the money aspect of big fights but why cant he challange himself like Anderson is doing?

GSP retired because of a lack of drug testing in the UFC (and given Hendricks was juiced to the gills he had a point)

His questionable decisions are setting him on a path towards criticism and doubt about his standing in mma history and his legacy imo.

Historians in the future will probably look back at this period of Gsp's career with contempt due to the wasted time and potential for true greatness squandered.

He needs to challenge himself more.

If GSP walks away now and never has another fight there's nothing to question. A man who walked away on his on terms with a very long streak of winning title fights. Greatness squandered? He is unquestionably the #1 greatest Welterweight in MMA and should be considered the #1 MMA fighter period. What greatness was squandered?

The only thing that hurts his legacy is his lack of a highlight reel. He took no risks. He didn't fight to win he fought not to lose.
I hate this argument. GSP fought to win, he just recognized that the best way to victory was in a top position heavy gameplan.

For someone who went on so much about his legacy it seems he is making some suspect decisions recently, retiring after a heard fight with hendricks, finally moving up to MW after years of not wanting to fight Anderson only to fight Michael Bisping, then immediatly retires because he wants non of Whitaker or Romero..

Then he talks about fighting Conor....even Anderson has called him out on it recently and you cant blame him...sure Anderson has lost recently but there his fighting Isreal..

I am by no means downplaying GSP’s legact and accomplishments and I get the money aspect of big fights but why cant he challange himself like Anderson is doing?

GSP and his legacy get better everytime one of the potential GOAT's loses or pops for roids. People forget the timeline that GSP and USADA came into play, they forget about his health issues and him calling out Khabib and trying to go for a third world title.

He's waiting for Conor or Khabib and I suspect he'll rematch Nick Diaz at some point before retiring. I still believe Conor/GSP will happen this year and be the biggest money maker in UFC history. His legacy will look even better once he's a 3 division champ.

I hate this argument. GSP fought to win, he just recognized that the best way to victory was in a top position heavy gameplan.
That's what fighting not to loses is. Winning by playing it safe and taking no chances.

Yeah gsp pretty much lost whatever credibility he had left after beating one eye bisping n then dropping the title n “retiring” again.

He’s pretty much out of any goat conversation at this point

that n tapping to strikes vs blown up lw of course

Lol didnt silva want to fight mcgregor

That's what fighting not to loses is. Winning by playing it safe and taking no chances.
No it isn't, he's fighting to win in the most likely possible manner. That's the definition of fighting to win. If he was fighting not to lose, he'd be fighting in a manner that salvages a draw, not gets him 50-45 scorecards

Even Anderson has called him out on it -

<36>

Joke thread

No it isn't, he's fighting to win in the most likely possible manner. That's the definition of fighting to win. If he was fighting not to lose, he'd be fighting in a manner that salvages a draw, not gets him 50-45 scorecards
Spin it any way you want but he did not push to finish fights. He fought as safe as he possibly could. He fought not to lose. Fighters who fight to win have finishes or at least flashy highlights.

In the short run, new fans question his legacy. Anyone not hating that watched his rise and title reign no what's up though. And in the future, it will be validated. This has happened with every legend in combat sports

You have to be a mega, movie making star for the "perception" of the a fight to outweight the facts and accomplishments.

GSP isn't that guy. Sorry haters.

These sherdoggers can type to their fingers bleed, at best they'll convince a bunch of nub forum posters of their negative perception.

People are going to see Georges titles and accomplishments, and they will speak much louder than haters in 10, 20, 30, 40 years.

It's pretty obvious he came back for money. I can't really fault the guy either. Legacy always comes second to money.

GSP's WW run is set in stone as far as I am concerned. Whatever he does after shouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

GSP is top 3 p4p. No his legacy will not hurt unless he pops for roids.

I am convinced that Georges wants nothing to do with Robbie and retired in 2013 because of that

GSP > Sprat > Lawler
GSP > Miller > Lawler
GSP > Shields > Lawler
GSP > Diaz > Lawler

Sometimes MMA math works.

Robbie is good but he is the type of guy to lose to GSP at any point in his career.

Well to be fair he said he would want some time off to bulk up for MW to fight Anderson back in the day too, atleast a year he said so after 4 years off it really isn't that surprising he bulked up and then challenged himself against a much bigger guy who on paper is a far worse match up for him than Anderson and then vacated the belt due to a medical issue so as to not hold the division hostage and then responded to "LW's" thats have been saying they wanted to fight him for years prior.

I don't really see the problem here.

GSP plays the game well. He also never popped for roids which is huge. Add that to the fact he is very knowledgeable about working the media and coming off as a disciplined martial artist. All these things corporately secure his legacy.

That said, his fighting prowess is in question. GSP has never fought a guy who could out wrestle him. He never fought at a strength disadvantage. He never fought a great striker like Anderson Silva. He is a cherrypicker. This was set in stone by his ridiculous MW Title fight vs Bisping (not even top 5 MW at the time of the fight). Then he walks away and wants another cherrypicked fight.

GSP was the MMA politician of the Zuffa era.
yes he cherry picked an opponent much bigger than him, in a higher weight class , with excellent TD defence and cardio for years who is as tough as nails....
dumb cunts on here making out as Bisping being some pissweak

Back