is grappling best for self defence

hayyakhan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
i am from Pakistan and working in NGO, i want to learn Grappling/BJJ for my self defence, is grappling is good for women self defence.

A lot of people would say, "No, you'll get jumped whilst you're on top," but nothing ends a one-on-one confrontation like slamming someone to the ground. You won't need to use any BJJ after that, but
be sure to flee, before the authorities arrive.

Edit: If you're a woman, firearms/weapons are your best bet

If you are a woman in Pakistan, men will be coming at your with sticks and stones. I suggest firearms, and appropriate training. Pakistan has very lax gun laws according to the wiki. But dont tell me women are banned from carrying.

Take Systema or krav maga...
eyepokes, groin shots, un-arming an attacker, tactics against multiple apponents, ...etc

However, if u're taking a BJJ class it'll also be good sport to stay in shape.

eyepokes, groin shots, un-arming an attacker, tactics against multiple apponents, ...etc

Don't listen to this. Systema and Krav are largely unproven trash.

Nothing beats actually struggling against people in the gym like you would in judo or BJJ to prepare you for struggling outside the gym.

However, weapons are even better. Gun or knife training is your best bet. There's a reason we humans fight wars with weapons and not empty hands. They work.

Weapons training and understanding how to deal with them is probably essential if you're actually serious about learning self-defense.

For just getting used to physical activity and having the potential to be aggressive, most any combat sport that has you sparring at a high intensity on a frequent basis is a good start, I think.

But the idea that you can prepare for self-defense through combat sport training is an act of self-delusion, imho.

LMFAO...

you dont need to train no shit to eye poke someone or groin shot anyone, grapplers can do all tht pus fuck you up in many ways and you cant stop shit..

Weapons training and understanding how to deal with them is probably essential if you're actually serious about learning self-defense.

For just getting used to physical activity and having the potential to be aggressive, most any combat sport that has you sparring at a high intensity on a frequent basis is a good start, I think.

But the idea that you can prepare for self-defense through combat sport training is an act of self-delusion, imho.

unless you are talking about fire guns, knife training is silly, you aint going to get into a silat type of fight with knife, tht is just ridiculous. Disarming a person with a knife its possible but most likely is going to get you killed, if you are a chick and you are facing an angry man, you better be a damn fighter or you are dead anyways knife or no knife involved.

Don't listen to this. Systema and Krav are largely unproven trash.

Nothing beats actually struggling against people in the gym like you would in judo or BJJ to prepare you for struggling outside the gym.

However, weapons are even better. Gun or knife training is your best bet. There's a reason we humans fight wars with weapons and not empty hands. They work.

I love it when people call anything other than bjj useless or unproven. You tell me those groin shots and eye gouges are just myths?

I love it when people call anything other than bjj useless or unproven. You tell me those groin shots and eye gouges are just myths?

I'm saying that if you can't punch someone in the face with your whole fist who is fighting back (boxing) what makes you think that you can hit their eye with a finger, a much smaller target and a much smaller instrument?

Eye gouges and groin kicks are the last, gasping hope of watered down false "martial arts" that have lost their respect and indeed their relevance in a world where video evidence is now easily available to anyone with a computer or smartphone. They're a fake panacea that is trotted out like snake oil and promised as curealls when, like snake oil or crystals or magnet bracelets and other nonsense, they have deep flaws in their supposed method and a glaring absence of evidence.

Could they work? Yes, AS A SUPPLEMENT to actual understanding of footwork, distance management, timing, hand speed, etc that you get from an art where you actually learn to struggle against other people. Arts like boxing, muay thai, full contact karate, san da, wrestling, judo, sambo, sub grappling, BJJ, or MMA are where you learn what it's like to actually fight. They're not perfect approximations, but it's a lot better than systema or (most) Krav where compliant drilling is the norm and there isn't a competition form.

INSTEAD OF any of those arts? Absolutely not. There is no replacement for actually sparring people and actually learning what it's like to fight someone who is fighting back, and developing the timing, aggression, decisiveness, and muscle memory that comes only from moving past compliant drilling into sparring/randori/rolling. Dealing with someone who is actually, 100% trying to defeat you is completely different from the prescribed "you do this, I do these three moves while you freeze there" nonsense that is common in arts that cling tightly to their precious eye gouges and nut kicks.

To my mind it doesn't matter much whether that's any of the arts I mentioned. I tend to recommend judo or BJJ to women because women don't tend to have reliable knockout power so striking arts lose some utility.

As someone who was trained in that stuff by professionals, then went on to get tossed around like a pool toy in Judo, I can add my name to the list of people who think that these RBSD styles are crap.

It isn't so much the fact that these eye gouge/dick bite style krav attacks are useless in and of themselves, it's that, due to their very nature, they are almost impossible to train effectively. You can't engage in non-compliant, full contact sparring, you can't drill the move to its completion, etc.

When it comes down to the moment that you need to use violence to defend yourself, would you rather rely on the O Soto Gari that you have landed thousands of times, on non-compliant training partners and opposing competitors, or the eye poke that you have never, ever, ever pulled off?

I'm saying that if you can't punch someone in the face with your whole fist who is fighting back (boxing) what makes you think that you can hit their eye with a finger, a much smaller target and a much smaller instrument?

Eye gouges and groin kicks are the last, gasping hope of watered down false "martial arts" that have lost their respect and indeed their relevance in a world where video evidence is now easily available to anyone with a computer or smartphone. They're a fake panacea that is trotted out like snake oil and promised as curealls when, like snake oil or crystals or magnet bracelets and other nonsense, they have deep flaws in their supposed method and a glaring absence of evidence.

Could they work? Yes, AS A SUPPLEMENT to actual understanding of footwork, distance management, timing, hand speed, etc that you get from an art where you actually learn to struggle against other people. Arts like boxing, muay thai, full contact karate, san da, wrestling, judo, sambo, sub grappling, BJJ, or MMA are where you learn what it's like to actually fight. They're not perfect approximations, but it's a lot better than systema or (most) Krav where compliant drilling is the norm and there isn't a competition form.

INSTEAD OF any of those arts? Absolutely not. There is no replacement for actually sparring people and actually learning what it's like to fight someone who is fighting back, and developing the timing, aggression, decisiveness, and muscle memory that comes only from moving past compliant drilling into sparring/randori/rolling. Dealing with someone who is actually, 100% trying to defeat you is completely different from the prescribed "you do this, I do these three moves while you freeze there" nonsense that is common in arts that cling tightly to their precious eye gouges and nut kicks.

To my mind it doesn't matter much whether that's any of the arts I mentioned. I tend to recommend judo or BJJ to women because women don't tend to have reliable knockout power so striking arts lose some utility.

this.

As someone who was trained in that stuff by professionals, then went on to get tossed around like a pool toy in Judo, I can add my name to the list of people who think that these RBSD styles are crap.

It isn't so much the fact that these eye gouge/dick bite style krav attacks are useless in and of themselves, it's that, due to their very nature, they are almost impossible to train effectively. You can't engage in non-compliant, full contact sparring, you can't drill the move to its completion, etc.

When it comes down to the moment that you need to use violence to defend yourself, would you rather rely on the O Soto Gari that you have landed thousands of times, on non-compliant training partners and opposing competitors, or the eye poke that you have never, ever, ever pulled off?

/Thread.:cool:

/Landed a lot of eye gouges in my life (even to my older brother) and dick shots to finish people. Along with knee cap shots, spinal strikes etc. It's about opportunities you see/create to finish people. I don't know, maybe being a smaller guy than most it's easier for me to get to these positions but i've never found them difficult to land.

I think if you're good at take downs and throws and staying on top it would work against a single attacker who is untrained and unarmed.

/Landed a lot of eye gouges in my life (even to my older brother) and dick shots to finish people. Along with knee cap shots, spinal strikes etc. It's about opportunities you see/create to finish people. I don't know, maybe being a smaller guy than most it's easier for me to get to these positions but i've never found them difficult to land.

there are no gentleman's agreement in the street

Self defense 101: situational awareness. Your situation (Pakistan) is not safe for you (a woman) under any circumstances.

Back