Is Gene Hackman the GOAT A-hole bad guy in cinema?

He has the right amount of cockiness with intelligence and sadism, doesn't play too overconfident either so there isn't that megalomaniacal flaw (barring Lex Luthor where the camp was intentional).

Gene is a legend. Apparently he's enjoying cycling in his retirement. Good for him. Ex Marine, now 88.

- https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20045500/gene-hackman-buys-electric-bike/

gene-hackman-electric-bike-0-1517436002.jpg

No, because he wasn't even the guy I hated most in Unforgiven.

Richard Harris showed the world how it's done.

Well, Hackman's not the villain in Unforgiven, so that stands to reason.

Well, Hackman's not the villain in Unforgiven, so that stands to reason.
Yes, he is. Everyone's a villain in Unforgiven. That's what makes the movie a masterpiece.

No Way Out. He was amazing. He’s one of my favorites. He was also good in Target. Not a great movie and he was the good guy but a great performance.

I came here to post No Way Out. He's such a prick in that. He's awesome.

Hackman was a great actor. He was always good value

GOAT villain actor has got to be Rickman though

original.gif

I liked him as Harry Zimm on Get Shorty. He wasn't a bad guy though, just a bit of a weirdo

Hackman was a great actor. He was always good value

GOAT villain actor has got to be Rickman though

original.gif

I agree actually. But I consider him more of a true villian, where as Gene Hackman is more of just an asshole, indirect villain.

Even when he is a good guy, he is still a bit of an asshole.

How would you think an on screen scene in the 90's would have gone with someone like Arnold and Hackman? Who would come out as the bigger screen presence? Both are 6'2. Arnold is physically bigger, but Gene Hackman would not only out act him, but would just be the bigger man in general. He also served in the Marines for 4 years, which I am sure helped him in his various roles.

Can you imagine if movies like Eraser and The Rock had Gene Hackman as the corrupt FBI guy? Those would be GOAT movies, not just classic 90's action movies (tho Eraser being a tier down). Ed Harris and Gene Hackman are friends, so that would have been amazing for The Rock, anyways, despite those characters having not communications in the movie.

He's great at playing a villain that gives you so much satisfaction as a viewer when he gets his comeuppance.

The Poseidan Adventure is a great flick.

Hackman plays a great anti-hero.

And Hoosiers, that was a good one too.

Why top bad guy? how about top actor all around he could play a bad guy with charisma, a good guy, a hard ass, a hero, a lovable odd ball, the man is one of the greatest American actors of all time he is in the top group Goat actor probably my top 5 or 10, underrated, underappreciated, very natural talent, he and dustin hoffman were laughed at in acting school the professor said they would never make it they were too old and ugly Hackman was nearly 40 when he got his big break after doing small parts and Hoffman was like 7 years younger than him and they were roommates, and he was 30 when he got his big break

What I loved about Hackman is he was a regular guy who just decided to act and defied the typical way, having to be a 19 to 20 year old to break in, he started very late he was in the military and traveled and did other jobs and didn't really become a star until his 40s and 50s.

Also Robert Duvall I think was another one who was a roommate with them and was also clowned by the acting coach

It was at a time when you had to be a good looking guy to make it or have charisma as a ladies man, Hackman broke that mold

Hackman to me signifies the All American actor

Fuck man if you dont appreciate him you dont appreciate natural acting.

Tommy Lee Jones seems like he's good at portraying assholes.

I would recommend watching Under Suspicion. An underrated movie IMHO. It stars Hackman as well as Morgan Freeman, Thomas Jane and the prime GOAT Monica Bellucci (a lot of gif worthy moments from that one, some of which have made it into her prime threads, some of which can't be shown here). It was towards the end of his career, but isn't as well known as his other roles from the era. Even if you don't think it's a particularly great movie, his performance is outstanding and I love the interplay between him and Freeman.

One of my favorite boxing movies was 1988 Split Decisions with Gene Hackman it was gritty and Hackman played the father trainer role well, I love almost everything he is in the movie could be shit but he is always good

Yes, he is. Everyone's a villain in Unforgiven. That's what makes the movie a masterpiece.

Maybe in a greater philosophical sense. But there's no doubt Little Bill is the chief antagonist of the film, and the guy you want to see William Money(i.e. the protagonist) cut down.

Back