Is Fighting Lee a lose-lose for Barboza?

Yeah people do that, it drives me insane. No critical thinking for some reason.

I was watching some youtube yesterday who has a ton of subscribers. He was breaking down Dustin-Khabib and he goes..

"I think this is the fight where he gets that 0. Seeing Dustin's boxing, if he keeps the fight standing, its his fight. He just needs to stop the TD and he will win soundly"

I wanted to punch my computer. lol. Isn't that the fucking gameplan of the year. Don't get taken down. Someone should time travel to tell Barboza and Johnson.
A lot of MMA fans are focused on surface value features.

Even people who think Lee beats Khabib for the sole reason that Lee is a wrestler. They ignore his weaknesses on the feet and his unproven TDD.

People are looking for reasons for certain fighters to lose. The accuracy of those reasons tend not to matter to them.

Last edited:
It seems like more of an opportunity to build Kevin up for sure.

"Grapplefucking the Russian striker" never happened. Dariush didn't get a single takedown in that fight. He won striking. Dariush was #7 based on what was widely considered a horrible robbery against Michael Johnson.
If you look at his resume, it's not all that great. His best win is probably James Vick. That's a great win but Lee has great wins as well.

Damn dude, you're right. I can't believe I remembered that fight so wrong. I will have to rewatch it.

My apologies. I call people out for this all the time and I just did it myself. I didn't rewatch the fight and had an awful memory of what actually happened.

Lee is going to teach Barboza some technique, so no.

I feel like Lee is more dangerous than his resume shows. His resume kinda sucks actually. At least it seems that way in proportion to the way he talks.

If Barboza loses to him, obviously that would suck for him. However, if he wins, I feel like people will write off Lee verses praise Barboza. That tends to happen with anyone Barboza beats. If they beat him, its because he loses "big fights". If he beats them, its because obviously they aren't a big fight, regardless of their ranking.

It will be quickly forgotten that Lee raped first round Chiesa on the ground and whipped Tony Ferguson's ass for a round with a staph infection.

Don't get me wrong, the guys personality sucks, and he's second to Colby for annoying (in my opinion), but he's dangerous and only getting better.
shit no. it's top 10 v top 10 (prob top 5 v top 5 if you remove Conor & TonyF). you cannot just sit around in the #4 or #6 spot forever.

it's a great fight for both of them, and for us.

A lot of MMA fans are focused on surface value features.

Even people who think Lee beats Khabib for the sole reason that Lee is a wrestler. They ignore his weaknesses on the feet and his unproven TDD.

People are looking for reasons for certain fighters to lose. The accuracy of those reasons tend not to matter to them.

You really nailed it in your last sentence.

It is absolutely mind-blowing.

Before Al fight...

"He's never fought a wrestler before. He will get knocked out on the feet and Al will stuff his takedowns!"

After Al fight...

"He doesn't deserve a title, he just beat the #11 guy who's a realtor".

Damn dude, you're right. I can't believe I remembered that fight so wrong. I will have to rewatch it.

My apologies. I call people out for this all the time and I just did it myself. I didn't rewatch the fight and had an awful memory of what actually happened.
It's fine. The fight was very boring and one that could easily slip anyone's memory

Not if Lee beats him handily within 3 or 4 round. That's a better statement towards Khabib. IMo.

T.s is somewhat right- it really doesn't do much for him but its a top 10 win which Edson does need to have on ledger.

I feel like Lee is more dangerous than his resume shows. His resume kinda sucks actually. At least it seems that way in proportion to the way he talks.

If Barboza loses to him, obviously that would suck for him. However, if he wins, I feel like people will write off Lee verses praise Barboza. That tends to happen with anyone Barboza beats. If they beat him, its because he loses "big fights". If he beats them, its because obviously they aren't a big fight, regardless of their ranking.

It will be quickly forgotten that Lee raped first round Chiesa on the ground and whipped Tony Ferguson's ass for a round with a staph infection.

Don't get me wrong, the guys personality sucks, and he's second to Colby for annoying (in my opinion), but he's dangerous and only getting better.
Plus if Lee wins, he might contend for the title, if Barboza wins he won't fight for the title anytime soon.

Back