Is Fedor the least impressive out of all the GOAT contenders?

This is still only partially true. He beat the top 2 other heavies in Nog and Mirko, but he didn't clean out the the division in Pride. He never fought Sergei or Barnett, never fought Overroid when he started juicing and even though it's understandable he didn't fight Aleks. So he definitely beat a good staple of the best heavies but he didn't defeat all of the best available.

Both Barnett and Overeem ducked him.... hard to fight someone who's ducking you.

Setting aside P4P considerations, from 2003 to 2009 Fedor was the best fighter in the world. He had, at the top, a winning streak of 17 or 18 fights. Today, he doesn't look nearly as impressive because we have seen him lose 4 or 5 times. This is the normal end of career cycle for top fighters.

Anderson and Jones now have multiple PED violations. GSP, if he continues to fight, will lose twice more. Whitaker will beat him, and then the reigning champ at 170 will beat him, and then he will retire. As of this moment, GSP is probably the GOAT; even though, in his prime Hughes submitted him and Serra made him tap to strikes.

Exactly fedor declined like a normal fighter would loosing his most vital asset first which was his speed, also didn’t help that he fell in love with his striking when he was an all around mma fighter. It’s harder to find a purer mma fighter than fedor at his prime he used all facets of mma. To me gsp is up there just on resume alone, fedor gsp and sakuraba are all goats in my eyes.

No doubt about that, Crocrop and Big Nog were top heavyweights in Pride. Top 10 of all time, I'd give them although once they left organizations where juicing was rampant, both did quite poorly.
antonio_nogueira_prev.jpg

Quite poorly?
Gtfo

Exactly fedor declined like a normal fighter would loosing his most vital asset first which was his speed, also didn’t help that he fell in love with his striking when he was an all around mma fighter. It’s harder to find a purer mma fighter than fedor at his prime he used all facets of mma. To me gsp is up there just on resume alone, fedor gsp and sakuraba are all goats in my eyes.

You are correct. Fedor was great because he could win on the feet striking; he could submit you from the top or win via GnP from the top; he could submit from the bottom. His ability on the ground declined, as he was marketed as a striker. I think that his camp didn't provide him with the ground preparation that he needed in the latter stages of his career.

100 percent. Fedor has 1 or 2 good wins. The rest are cans.. there is a reason he never fought in UFC. As soon he lost 3 in a row he was "out of his prime" all a sudden. Nah son, fedor was still in his prime but fighting decent fighters for the first time in his career. Gsp woulda been 100 amd 0 if he fought the same level of cans in a c league like fedor.

This all day long. Fedor fought in the shittiest division when the sport was just starting to grow.

You are correct. Fedor was great because he could win on the feet striking; he could submit you from the top or win via GnP from the top; he could submit from the bottom. His ability on the ground declined, as he was marketed as a striker. I think that his camp didn't provide him with the ground preparation that he needed in the latter stages of his career.

Yea absolutely, I think the switch from Russian top team to Red Devils hurt him a bit since he started focusing more on his striking. He definitely could had used better camps through big part of his career.

Then tell me why 43 years old Mark Hunt is being competitive and some other fighters of the past that were undoubtedly better than Hunt (Fedor) are not.
If the HW division is so shit that old Mark Hunt with CTE is top 5, the legendary mithycal Pride heroes Fedor, Crocop, Nogueira, Kharitonov could still wreck shop, but they are not.

I tell you why, Mark Hunt today is a lot better than 10 years ago, same with Werdum, Overeem and Rothwell.
The sport is getting better and if older fighter are not improving they are left behind, like your Pride heroes.

Maybe you missed this Overeem post

Overeem is a guy that has been in the game forever and is ever evolving and changing.
His team mate Siyar Bahadurzada had shit ground game, it was by far his weak link, he disappeared because injured but he returned in the UFC doing modified darce chokes and outgrappling guys, that's called evolving.

You Pride nuthuggers minds are still in 2007, for you Crocop is still the best striker, Nogueira still the best grappler ever and Fedor is invincible, your mind can't cope with the fact the sport has left them behind.

BVxfeHfjNan

Mark Hunt is doing better because there's literally no competition in the UFC.

He's ranked #5 because the only thing he had to go to get there is beat Derrick Lewis.... who basically just gave up because of his back.

He still loses to every top fighter.... there just aren't as many top HWs anymore.

Crocop is still his best win.

No they didn't.

Yes, they did.

Barnett could have fought him when Fedor fought Hunt.... but he said he needed more time to prepare..... and instead took a fight against Nog. Apparently his time to prepare meant "more steroids" because he then got busted when they were supposed to fight at Affliction.

Overeem had the chance to fight him and fought in K-1 instead.

Wrong.

Never beat Couture, Barnette, or Sergei.

Never ever beat a wrestler who could grapple in his entire career.

In 7 years after winning the belt he beat Nog once, Cro Crop, and AA. That is it, Sylvia was past his prime when they fought.

But even if you consider Tim its only 4 fights in 7 years worth talking about. On his 5th legite HW he fought he got submitted at age 33.

On the 6th he got pummeled so bad they had to stop the fight in Big Foot Silva.

Then he tried to go ultimatr can crusher mode and fight another MW but this time he gets KO'd.

Fedor was the GOAT HW, no other HW has been able to dominate an era except Fedor. But in terms of P4P GOAT i dont see what hes accomplished that sets him apart.

GSP is easily the GOAT winning the MW title at age 36

Fedot hater logic:

Tim Sylvia doesn't count as a good win because he was past his prime at 34.
Fedor loses to Bigfoot at 34 years old and he's "still in his prime, he just never fought UFC caliber competition before."

More Fedor hater logic:

-Fedor shouldn't be ranked P4P because a guy with 60 lbs on him beat him after 7 years of beating larger opponents without losing a single round.
-Jones refuses to fight HWs even once, despite being bigger than Fedor.
-Silva moves up and hand-picks Bonnar and Griffin, loses to Cormier.
-GSP moves up once his entire career... handpicks the weakest MW champion in years.
-Aldo never moves up even once.

antonio_nogueira_prev.jpg

Quite poorly?
Gtfo

? Sorry have you seen his UFC fight record? He went 5-6 in 11 fights with the UFC. By comparison in his Pride tenure 21 fights he went 17-3-1.

So which is more impressive? 5-6 or 17-3? And btw those 3 Pride losses were twice to Fedor and a split loss to Barnett that many felt he won.

Big Nog's only decent win the UFC was a decision win over a 46 year old Randy Couture.

GTFO? Say something that actually makes sense and I might. Anyone that doesn't think Big Nog fell off dramatically after leaving Pride and joining an organization that actually did drug testing is delusional and btw I am a fan of his.

? Sorry have you seen his UFC fight record? He went 5-6 in 11 fights with the UFC. By comparison in his Pride tenure 21 fights he went 17-3-1.

So which is more impressive? 5-6 or 17-3? And btw those 3 Pride losses were twice to Fedor and a split loss to Barnett that many felt he won.

Big Nog's only decent win the UFC was a decision win over a 46 year old Randy Couture.

GTFO? Say something that actually makes sense and I might. Anyone that doesn't think Big Nog fell off dramatically after leaving Pride and joining an organization that actually did drug testing is delusional and btw I am a fan of his.

come on man ... this guy had more than 15-25 surgeries and other things lol.

So you're saying he was more successful in the first 10 years of his athletic career?

Omg..... wow. Thank God you caught that.

It's almost like you figured out that....... fighters age.

No. His dominance in the martial arts world was at a time before technology, million dollar plus training camps, tape to study and game plans opponents and micro movements, electronic email and social media to have moles in camps, and the access to training partners well versed in mma, like today. Don’t be stupid.

You Pride nuthuggers minds are still in 2007, for you Crocop is still the best striker, Nogueira still the best grappler ever and Fedor is invincible, your mind can't cope with the fact the sport has left them behind.
BVxfeHfjNan

Interesting argument. It doesn't usually play in GOAT of all time discussions. Less face it, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Jim Brown - all of their sports have progressed tremendously in the last 20 years, and in Brown and Ruth's case, much longer. Muhammad Ali's time was 40 years ago, so much has improved with athletics since then that its hard to compare. And yet fans still call them the GOAT's of their sport.

Or look at Jesse Owens. He's considered one of the greatest sprinters ever, only Bolt is considered better - and yet his best times would lose in a lot of high school races.

Or look at other fields. Physicists will tell you Sir Isaac Newton is, along with Einstein, the greatest physicist ever. But any BSc in physics can solve problems Newton couldn't even understand, let alone begin to solve. For that matter, there are physic's BSc's who can solve problems that Einstein couldn't solve - things progress.

Why are these obviously substandard by today's figures considered great? Because usually GOAT means the best of your time. If you go into university and tell everyone you're a better physicist than Newton or Einstein because you can solve problems they can't they'll laugh you out of the place. But that's what happens regularly in MMA GOAT discussions.

Who's the GOAT? I"ve no idea, its always an amusing read. But if it doesn't mean best of their day then its easy - whoever the current champ is, because that's the way things progress.

yes. and anyone who says otherwise has rose-colored glasses on.

The following UFC HW champs all have or would have beaten Fedor:
Stipe Miocic
Fabricio Werdum
Cain Velasquez
Junior Dos Santos
Brock Lesnar
Randy Couture

The following UFC LHW Champs would have beat Fedor:
Daniel Cormier
Jon Jones
Mauricio Rua
Rashad Evans