Is Fedor the least impressive out of all the GOAT contenders? | Page 10

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ProfessorGanja, Nov 13, 2017.

1. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Hunt post Fedor by his own admission went off the rails, 18 months before he fought again and trained very little for it resulting in a series of poor performances not at the level of his Pride career.

I don't say Goodridge was better than Barnett but he was capable of causing an upset, an upset Fedor avoided thoughout his run at the top whilst GSP did not. Barnett of course turned down fighting Fedor once on NYE 2006 when he faced Hunt instead and then failed a test to kill the fight in Affliction.

Sergei had the chance to face Fedor if he beat Nog in 2004 and might well have done so at some point in late 2006/early 2007 if he'd beaten Aleks.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  2. Oscaraps Brown Belt

Oscaraps
    Like I said too much writing it would take to explain such ignorance away... it’s clear as day you weren’t watching mma at the time so let’s just leave it at that

3. SherdogFan23 Purple Belt

SherdogFan23
    The problem for Fedor is that he should have retired before going into Strikeforce. People do too much judging on his non-prime period. Most people on this board fail to appreciate most of the older fighters or the fact that Fedor was fighting 3-5 fights per year in his prime.

FedorGOAT and Typrune Goatley like this.
  4. savemgs Brown Belt

savemgs
    Because all of his accomplishments got achieved outside of the UFC I think many people will make this argument. But people don't remember that the UFC was on death's door for a big part of his career.
    And even if it wasn't why would he work 4 Dana ? A man who constantly disrespects his athletes and tries to make himself the star of the show.

And don't ever compare him to Demetrious Johnson at least when he had fights with cans his title wasn't on the line. And the promoter wasn't trying to convince me it was legitimate competition.

FedorGOAT and Typrune Goatley like this.
  5. Perrichet Tinpot Belt

Perrichet
    Lol

6. I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

I WILL CUT YOU
    He throws a weak hook, retreats, and panic wrestles. Very different than throwing a strong combo into a takedown.

Fail again. Fail harder.

FedorGOAT likes this.
  7. Perrichet Tinpot Belt

Perrichet
    Holy shit the delusion in this one is strong. Lol at panic wrestle when the opening for a TD arrived after the landed a 1-2, made Alves hit thin air and over extended before ducking under and taking him down. Where are you seeing the retreat? Looks like the whole sequence was a set-up for a takedown

Not to mention Alves stand-up and TDD being miles better than Nog’s

8. Tonycpa Gold Belt

Tonycpa
    Fedor certainly isn't less impressive than the BW and LW GOATs.

9. Magjee Black Belt

Magjee
    Fedor had a very impressive run during his prime pulling off some HL reel worthy finishes and crazy comebacks

If the dude was an American fighter he likely would have had better longevity and competed at 205

10. I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

I WILL CUT YOU
    A jab that misses, a right arm punch that grazes, then a panic duck and high tie takedown is somehow superior to a heavyweight flowing on his feet, landing two bombs, then a double leg that would make Ray Lewis jealous?

Lmao lm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're from French Canadia, eh?

Even so, you've shown a single example, and nothing that makes GSP look as fluid as a heavyweight.

FedorGOAT likes this.
  11. Perrichet Tinpot Belt

Perrichet
    Did I say anything about it being superior? You simply asked another poster to post something in regards to GSP transitioning from striking to grappling and you lose your shit. I’m going to guess you are from Russia

12. Givvee Purple Belt

Givvee
    He was a monster in his prime, the combination of his speed, his power in his hands, his strength, his explosive armbars from his back, he was just a complete package, he regressed with age but still, it doesn't take away from his early accomplishments.

FedorGOAT and AnotherOldGuy like this.
  13. I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

I WILL CUT YOU
    Nah, I'm just not biased.

Look, resume wise GSP is the GOAT. Skillwise, I have him slightly behind the Emperor.

GOAT is so subjective, it's ok to disagree.

14. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    This is still only partially true. He beat the top 2 other heavies in Nog and Mirko, but he didn't clean out the the division in Pride. He never fought Sergei or Barnett, never fought Overroid when he started juicing and even though it's understandable he didn't fight Aleks. So he definitely beat a good staple of the best heavies but he didn't defeat all of the best available.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. dns2344 Purple Belt

dns2344
    You called him a GOAT contender and nothing but a can crusher all in the same thread.
    Is anyone outside of the top 5 GOATs trash to you?
    Pretty high standards. I’m sure the other thousands of fighters you think suck are disappointed they can’t please you.

16. Perrichet Tinpot Belt

Perrichet
    I don’t disagree with that. What made me biased though?

17. I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

I WILL CUT YOU
    Ha, nothing. My apologies.

Good conversation, Sherbro. War GSP!

Perrichet likes this.
  18. Glove Black Belt

Glove
    At his very best (peak), i have not seen a more skilled fighter. He is the greatest fighter i have ever seen in my 24 years watching MMA/NHB.

19. peytonlucy Silver Belt

peytonlucy
    Setting aside P4P considerations, from 2003 to 2009 Fedor was the best fighter in the world. He had, at the top, a winning streak of 17 or 18 fights. Today, he doesn't look nearly as impressive because we have seen him lose 4 or 5 times. This is the normal end of career cycle for top fighters.

Anderson and Jones now have multiple PED violations. GSP, if he continues to fight, will lose twice more. Whitaker will beat him, and then the reigning champ at 170 will beat him, and then he will retire. As of this moment, GSP is probably the GOAT; even though, in his prime Hughes submitted him and Serra made him tap to strikes.

20. MyEnglishIsPeperoni Yellow Card

MyEnglishIsPeperoni