Is ESPN committing suicide?

ESPN seems to be going through some severe mismanagement. They've lost many of their personalities and ruined the most popular show they had, Mike & Mike by splitting the hosts and airing them opposite of each other. They spent a large amount of money on the new show that Greenberg is on, taking months to get it on the air. Meanwhile they teamed Golic with Trey Wingo though every time I've watched, one or both are not on the show.

ESPN also took over the Formula One broadcast but decided to go the cheap route of just broadcasting the F1 coverage without using their own announcers and doing any video editing. They break the coverage for commercials then there are no replays or explanation of what happened during the breaks and it seems like something happened every time they broke in for a commercial.
They have some of the coverage on ESPN3, some on ESPN news and some on ESPN.

It seems strange that the network that pioneered sports broadcasting could lose it's way.

its a dead network.
too much politics, not enough sports.

yes, they've butchered coverage of F1 but their coverage of the Masters has been shitty too. and it's awesome that they have 12 straight hours of World Series of Poker over the weekend.

good riddance IMO

I haven't noticed the butchering of Formula 1. Seems like every race this season has been fine

Disney's doing this with everything. ESPN, the Star Wars movies, Marvel comics, Jimmy Kimmel went full political after being known as the Man Show guy, Modern Family had on a transexual 10 year old (which is pretty extreme compared to their gay characters who are pretty sitcom-y and safe), etc.
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would grow up to hate Disney.

I haven't noticed the butchering of Formula 1. Seems like every race this season has been fine
I posted this after the first race, which was a debacle. They tried running ads during the action and it was horrible. To their credit, they now show it commercial free and the broadcast is much better than the old NBCSN version.

I posted this after the first race, which was a debacle. They tried running ads during the action and it was horrible. To their credit, they now show it commercial free and the broadcast is much better than the old NBCSN version.
I seem to remember them "minimizing" the race while they posted ads on the side

They're just simulcasting th F1 channel's coverage, except for the first race. Coverage has been superior to NBC's so far imo

Disney's doing this with everything. ESPN, the Star Wars movies, Marvel comics, Jimmy Kimmel went full political after being known as the Man Show guy, Modern Family had on a transexual 10 year old (which is pretty extreme compared to their gay characters who are pretty sitcom-y and safe), etc.

They are also one of the biggest media outlets so they'll never see any real negative press about what they are doing.

i just saw that they rehired Keith Olberman. wtf? the sas thing is, when he just talks sports, i think he is awesome. problem is, he can't do that. but love abs firing roseanne for her tweet, but hiring this guy who makes her seem like dr. seuss.

You must have missed the first one in Australia. They don't have their own analysts and control of replays so they are just relaying the live feed which doesn't have any commercial breaks. They just broke in for commercials and when they got back to the feed, something had happened on track and the commentators on the live feed don't explain what happened.

Since then, they have been running commercial free coverage live and on the delayed coverage, they break in but return to where they left off. They can't make much in advertising on the live coverage but the races in Europe and the far East are usually in the early morning hours so many watch the delayed coverage.

The country is so polarized that everything is colored by that. Those on the right see everything favoring the left. Those on the left see everything favoring the right. Almost anything done or said is going to offend someone. They have to pick which half they want to keep.

glad to hear Get Up is taking in the rankings. i read they are looking to add another personality, perhaps Ryan Clark, Damien Woody or Booger McFarland. That is one thing i notice espn loves to do too. they put extra black guys on their shows when they think it needs a change. i guess that gives them more of an "edge" to their shows.

also, greenberg said that the cavs are the greatest rivalry in the history of sports? what an idiot

I still like some of the stuff they put out like 30 for 30.

ESPN has been bloated for so long due to having so much weight to charge cable companies for their package. Fewer people now care about sports than in the past. The only reason a video game channel doesn't exist on cable is that it is basically done on youtube. There is a lot of sports talk on youtube that pretty good and free. Really good for near amateur efforts.

glad to hear Get Up is taking in the rankings. i read they are looking to add another personality, perhaps Ryan Clark, Damien Woody or Booger McFarland. That is one thing i notice espn loves to do too. they put extra black guys on their shows when they think it needs a change. i guess that gives them more of an "edge" to their shows.

also, greenberg said that the cavs are the greatest rivalry in the history of sports? what an idiot

Yeah I'm glad Get Up! is tanking too. That's what they get firing 200 employees and give Michelle Beadle 5 million a year. I'm still heated about how she did Stephen A Smith by getting him suspended for speaking the truth about some domestic violence situations a few years ago. Say what you want about SAS but the man works hard and he loves him basketball. Yeah, he can be a blowhard at times but I've always respected him for the fact that he stands by what he says and is not afraid to call a superstar athlete out.

Back to Get Up. I've watched the show a few times and it's not terrible but they are trying way too hard to force chemistry between Jalen, Beadle, and Greenberg. You can't force chemistry between hosts. It's either there or it's not. Jalen is great with Jacoby. Greenberg and Golic didn't like each other but they made Mike and Mike work for years. Hell, even Beadle was good with Colin Cowherd on Sportsnation a few years ago. Get Up! is trying to be like Good Morning Football on the NFL Network and they are failing terribly.

Yeah I'm glad Get Up! is tanking too. That's what they get firing 200 employees and give Michelle Beadle 5 million a year. I'm still heated about how she did Stephen A Smith by getting him suspended for speaking the truth about some domestic violence situations a few years ago. Say what you want about SAS but the man works hard and he loves him basketball. Yeah, he can be a blowhard at times but I've always respected him for the fact that he stands by what he says and is not afraid to call a superstar athlete out.

Back to Get Up. I've watched the show a few times and it's not terrible but they are trying way too hard to force chemistry between Jalen, Beadle, and Greenberg. You can't force chemistry between hosts. It's either there or it's not. Jalen is great with Jacoby. Greenberg and Golic didn't like each other but they made Mike and Mike work for years. Hell, even Beadle was good with Colin Cowherd on Sportsnation a few years ago. Get Up! is trying to be like Good Morning Football on the NFL Network and they are failing terribly.
i dont really like stephen a., but i don't hate him. certainly not like my disdain for skip bayless. at least i believe he believes what he is saying. i also had the opportunity to interview him a few years ago and he was very pleasant.

back before it morphed into first take, i enjoyed cold pizza. for a morning show i thought it wasn't bad. but skip got all the feedback for acting like an idiot so they decided to go with that.

i dont think mike and mike disliked each other until it was revealed that greenberg wanted off the show. but you could see that coming as greenberg kept trying to branch out and began to think of himself as something better than what that show was. he saw josh elliot leave and go make millions on GMA and thought he was basically the same guy.

and yea, i can't stand beadle either. she started off hot on sports nation and quickly became too big for her britches

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I stopped watching Sportscenter because I would put it on while getting ready to leave or something, and I would hope for highlights and scores. Instead I would hear sad music and see a child with cancer and get to hear that story.

Because that is what I want on the show I watch to escape the shitty real world.... ugh

ESPN's left wing antics are so bad, they think Will Cain is the best of conservatism.

last ditch, desperate attempt to save the network by launching espn+.
how much will that cost? too much no doubt.

oh yea, one of their first offerings is a show hosted by Kobe.
what's it about, tips on how to bang bar bitches?
lol, he's not even good at it. he ain't no Tiger.

Back