Is El Cucuy a dirty fighter?

It's a dirty technique, and it will continue to be used because there is no incentive not to.

There is no doubt that Tony is tough as nails but in his past two fights he had instances that I think we should pay attention to. Against Barboza in Round 1, the two of them are tangled on the ground and Tony kicks Edson in the face. In Round 2, against RDA we have the eye poke. Both of these instances could have had significant influences on the outcome of his fights. Thoughts?

Neither of those things had a significant influence on the outcome of the fights. Tony is not a dirty fighter because of two instances. These things happen in mma.

That said, I do think that unfortunately those two fouls did change the complexion of those two fights. I don't think the eye poke was intentional.
He is using a technique that dramatically increases the chances of eye pokes happening. Whether it was unintentional is irrelevant, imo.

He is using a technique that dramatically increases the chances of eye pokes happening. Whether it was unintentional is irrelevant, imo.
What technique is that? I can't recall eye pokes being an issue in his fights before.

The Barboza fight was sketchy

How was it sketchy?

The eye poke wasn't intentional, though it did change the momentum and have RDA backing up. The barboza kick was a straight up foul. I don't think he's a dirty fighter, but he has greatly benefited from accidental fouls more than once.

How did the foul greatly benefit Tony against Barboza?

I think Ferguson is ultra-aggressive and dynamic and goes for crazy shit, but is not malicious or anything like that. That said, I do think that unfortunately those two fouls did change the complexion of those two fights. I don't think the eye poke was intentional. The kick was pretty bad, though. IIRC, the ref took a point for that, and rightfully so. The eye poke, I think a warning was sufficient, and then take a point if it happens again.

How did the foul on Barboza greatly change the complexion of the fight? It happened literally 8 minutes before Tony actually finished the fight, in which time he spent a large portion of round 1 chasing Barboza and running face first into huge shots. What changed the complexion of the fight was the elbow that cut Edson, and the moment he saw he was bleeding pretty bad he started to slow down in a big way.

How was it sketchy?

How did the foul on Barboza greatly change the complexion of the fight? It happened literally 8 minutes before Tony actually finished the fight, in which time he spent a large portion of round 1 chasing Barboza and running face first into huge shots. What changed the complexion of the fight was the elbow that cut Edson, and the moment he saw he was bleeding pretty bad he started to slow down in a big way.
It was a blatantly illegal kick that badly rocked a guy with a weak chin. It definitely changed the complexion of the fight. I thought Barboza was winning before that.

He's definitely chippy. Like an enforcer in hockey if that makes sense. I think he'd be khabibs stiffest test. Can't wait to watch it unfold

The eye poke wasn't intentional, though it did change the momentum and have RDA backing up. The barb oza kick was a straight up foul. I don't think he's a dirty fighter, but he has greatly benefited from accidental fouls more than once.
I agree with this. I don't think he does anything intentional, but the eye poke and the upkick in the Barboza match helped change the momentum of the fight, imo. I was especially a bit salty about the Barboza one because im a fan, and believe that Barb0za could have won that one. People seem to also forget that he took that fight on short notice. Cucuy has looked good, but he has had some advantages in quite a few of his matches.

Jon Jones is the dirtiest player in the game imo.

jonjonescrybaby_zpsfcd691de.gif

He called Herb out on his bullshit after the eyepoke when he could have just pressed forward and potentially finish the fight right there.

It was a blatantly illegal kick that badly rocked a guy with a weak chin. It definitely changed the complexion of the fight. I thought Barboza was winning before that.

You thought Barboza was winning for the first 83 seconds of the fight? Because that's when the foul occurred. Barboza then went on to do his best work of the fight for the remaining 3 and a half minutes of the first round, and into the second round, until Tony cut him with an elbow, and finished him shortly after.

You thought Barboza was winning for the first 83 seconds of the fight? Because that's when the foul occurred. Barboza then went on to do his best work of the fight for the remaining 3 and a half minutes of the first round, and into the second round, until Tony cut him with an elbow, and finished him shortly after.
Yeah, he beat him to the punch and looked significantly quicker in the opening several exchanges. It completely changed after the kick and Barboza looked a lot slower. You'd have to be crazy to think a guy can just get rocked like that and then the fight just goes back to normal.

My impression was that Barboza was winning, it took him a while to recover from getting rocked, which changed the momentum. He recovered and was winning again, and yeah, Ferguson landed a nice elbow. I still think it was an illegal shot that did damage and changed the complexion of the fight. I tried to look the fight up to review it again earlier today, but they're constantly removing these videos from YouTube, so I couldn't recall exactly when the foul occurred.

How was it sketchy?

Barboza was rocked by an illegal upkick, regardless of whether or not they take a point a fighter getting rocked by an illegal strike changes the fight. I'm not saying Barboza would've won, just that I would put an asterisk on that win.

Back