Is Derrick Lewis tough to take down?

BB takes a rest on his back then gets back up when he is ready. Ain't nobody doin much bout it...

Was just telling my buddy last night that I have a feeling D.C. is going to suplex that man from one corner of the octagon to the other.

Pesta took him down 5 times, Nelson took him down 7 times and Abdurakhimov did it 4 times. Also Volkov landed a clear takedown on him as well and that guy is a pure striker with weak wrestling and TDD.

Tito taught him.
Upupupupupup... up

Roy Nelson, Shamil Abdurakhimov, Shawn Jordan, Gonzaga, Viktor Pesta and Marcin Tybura have all taken him down.

He usually brute forces his way back up.

Probably why he has back problems. Doesnt use good technique.

Black beast has his best ground defense in the double drudge technique; he goes two on one with a grip from hell that keeps the opponent from being able to submit him or mount any meaningful offense.

If the sprawl or escapes don’t work, he still ends up doing well off his back.

DC will get a hold of his waist and drop him on his back almost every time they clinch up. It's just a really bad matchup for Lewis. DC has major advantages in wrestling, speed, cardio, and boxing. Beast only has power edge. I think he will be too slow to land that haymaker on the much quicker Cormier.

Rosholt took him down over and over again.

Derrick stayed patient and relaxed.

As Rosholt changed positions, or took a break, Derrick exploded up.

Even though he was on his back for 90 percent of the fight, he was relaxed while Rosholt wore himself out.

Winded Rosholt got KOed.

Could Derrick use the same strategy against Daniel?

If you're Daniel Cormier that question is hysterically rhetorical.

lol do you even watch the guy fight? Last time he almost took himself down.

against DC he’ll have the takedown defense of Meryl Streep

Volkov took him down, Tybura took him down, Shamil took him down several times, Nelson took him down 7 times. I don't think DC will have any problems.

No, but he's very tough to keep down. He times his explosions very well.

this.

people keep saying he's just brute strength but it isn't. if you watch when he gets up, he always explodes at the perfect time. when the opponent lets up and is attempting to reposition, he explodes. when the opponent is attempting to rest, he explodes. when the opponent thinks he's too tired to get up so they relax, he explodes.

he's not just some lumbering oaf, he has a limited skill set but he's not stupid, he understands that with his limited skillset he needs to use intangibles like timing and deception to win his fights.

that's why he acts hurt and gassed all the time, he knows he doesn't have the skills to get after the guy and aggressively pursue him, so he uses what he does have, he uses everyone's underestimation of him and manipulates it.

it's the same reason he jumps on the mic and says how shitty of a fighter he is. he doesn't want people to take him seriously.

it's ironic because most other fighters want you to be afraid of them, but Derrick Lewis' success actually comes from the fact that nobody is afraid of him, even though they should be.

Very impressive beasting his way back to his feet though. Seen mark hunt do that sometimes.

BB all bout dat biznass
Get out my business, my biznass
Stay the fack up out my biznass, ah

Back