Is Daniel Cormier in good shape, and if so

If I look outside I see a lot of people who are fat who constantly go to McDonalds, drink Coca Cola and eat bags of chips.

Sure genetics have some influence and skeletons are different to everybody. But the big and only significant factor is the energy balance.

I know so many people who are actively trying to gain weight and are simply not able to. These people go out of their way to take in as many calories as possible and yet it doesn't happen for them. In your mind, everybody's body works and responds the same way.

I would caution you to stop talking about subjects you clearly are ignorant of.

This type of "everyone can have a ripped model body" thinking is why Tim Sylvia got busted for PEDs. Yep, everyone can do it, some just need some extra sauce to overcome their genetics.

I believe these are in order by date.

184lbs
4ed3ab344134b0d23d9c78dcc8d0cea1.jpg

The rest i believe are 96kg, roughly 210lbs i guess.

daniel-cormier_Olympics.jpg

Heidari%20in%2096.jpg

So is this evidence that out of shape/prime athletes can still be dominant in mma? Imagine if A level athletes like NFL players dedicated their lives to mma. It wouldn't even be sanctioned to have them fight current UFC fighters. Look at what brock did and he was afraid to get hit. Now imagine an athlete like him trained since he was 10 yrs old.

About body type and performance, as already stated appearance is not everything.

This is Jake Herbert, 2nd at the world championships in his sport as well as being a two time NCAA champion and looks the part.

OlympicM1_t607.jpg

Askren sporting his spare tire beat him one year after Herbert's 2nd place finish at the world championships.

A spare tire does not seem to hurt some people.

Having a spare tire does not mean a person will lose to a cut guy.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverag...petitor-Askren-dominates-Herbert#.VF8Es2c47Rk

Last edited:
I bet if we had a time machine none of the real 300 Spartans would be accepted as extras for the movie.

why does his body look the way it does?

etgs1s.jpg

I never gave it much thought until I was reading an article and saw this:

And I stopped and thought about it. It's hard to imagine that Daniel Cormier, being an Olympic-level athlete, and being such a dominant champion in the past couldn't be in spectacular shape.

But why doesn't his body look more similar to Rashad Evans, or other shorter LHWs? It's hard to imagine that Daniel Cormier doesn't train just as hard, or in ways that are similar to other fighters of his height, weight and caliber?

Math, physics, and physiology.

At some point in your life you consume more calories than you burn. Maybe you eat an extra piece of toast per day for a while. That's somewhere in the area of 36,000 extra calories in a year, which makes 10 lbs. So you do that for a couple of years and before you know it you're carrying 20 extra lbs of body weight.

Then you stop that, starts eating exactly as many calories as you burn, train like a demon, and before you know it, you're in crazy good shape... but you're still carrying that extra 20 lbs... which doesn't matter, because if you're strong and in good shape, 20 lbs distributed mainly around your center of gravity doesn't slow you down a wink, and in may actually give you better balance and other benefits if you have the athletic ability to use it.

I know so many people who are actively trying to gain weight and are simply not able to. These people go out of their way to take in as many calories as possible and yet it doesn't happen for them. In your mind, everybody's body works and responds the same way.

I absolutely am aware that not everybody's body works the same way. I only also know that those situations you describe are exeptions and not the rule. People always exeggarate the exeptions. The rule is that if you take in more callories than you use, you gain weight. And I know that it is for some people very hard to gain weight, but that is only a small minority.

ps. You don't have to caution me for anything. I'm in martial arts for over 20 years, have seen many, many, many guys (including myself) in the gym with different bodies, different weights, different diets and different goals and different outcomes. I know what I'm talking about.

I look like fedor, dc and Cain had a baby and my friend has a body like ben saunders and i have better cardio...it's just genetics and having more fat cells it is what it is.

Strong white belt thread.

The 2 greatest heavyweights of all time... Fedor and Cain are both a little 'soft' looking, but I've never seen either of them tired.

Lean muscle mass is overrated.

Clearly you haven't watched all their fights.
Maldonado vs Fedor and Cain vs Werdum

Only a handful of hws have better cardio than dc

randy
cain
fedor
nog

You can have good heart and lung capacity at a high bodyfat percentage.
You can have poor cardiovascular capacity at a low bodyfat percentage.

It depends on what you consider "good shape"

Some of the greatest HWs of all time in the sport look a little "pudgy". It is hard for a lot of guys to look completely shredded and ripped when they are well over 200 lbs.
images

31878.jpg

oie_bUUpnV6E85bW.jpg

gardner1.jpg

this guy defeated the greatest Greco wrestler of all time.

95492.jpg

while this guy gets dominated by a lightweight with dadbod (how is that even possible?)
hqdefault.jpg

Having very low bodyfat (and cutting) is progressively more important in the lighter divisions where every pound counts. Here, being overweight will put you in a division with taller/larger men. Any given fighter has a natural weight so that if there was only "open weight" competition, you would see significantly less muscle definition (and emaciation).

Some people don't have an impressive body type. Simple. The jacked, aesthetic guy at the gym isn't the definition of functional sporting ability.

Looking at a body to determine who is tougher than who is a female thing. Men should know better.
This.
End of thread.

Back