Is Daniel Cormier an A level athlete?

I hate when the myth of a-level gets brought up. There's so many factors involved in what we consider "athleticism". Speed, reflexes, endurance, cardio, strength, flexibility.

What Cormier has is insane physical strength (relative to his stature) and excellent endurance.

People who think he's not are too focused on body type. He's a AAA level athlete, just not a bodybuilder.

What kind of question is this, what can sherdog say that your eyes can't? Or is it a case of because he's podgy he can't possibly be an a-level athlete, if he performed exactly the same but looked like yoel romero would you even ask this question haha?

Are you kidding? There is more to MMA than athleticism, but yes, how high you jump and how fast you can run and what it says about your underlying speed, strength, and explosiveness ABSOLUTELY has a correlation to fighting.

If it was purely technique, then Roxanne Modafferi would be one of the best female fighters in the world. But she's not, and gets beaten by fighters with worse technique who are younger, stronger, and faster.

There have been a number of former football players who have completely failed in MMA. But many others have achieved at least some measure of success despite not being at the level of solid NFL mainstays and starting MMA fairly late. (Eryk Anders, Matt Mitrione, even Brendan Schaub)

Even Pat Miletich has noted how quickly the NFL players he showed how to throw punches and kicks can throw powerful strikes, partly due to them being athletes who have to reproduce movements they're shown, and partly due to their innate physical gifts.

You obviously didn't read my post carefully enough. Nobody has said a thing about being more athletic will make you a WORSE fighter, said no one ever.

Those NFL guys you've listed proved my point that just because you are at the 99th percentile in athleticism it doesn't make you a world class fighter. Each and every single one of those NFL guys has been defeated in the UFC.

DC is one of the best athletes in the UFC history, only noobs get fooled by how he looks

A level athlete is undefined, it's a figment of the imagination of Sherdweebs that nuthug other American sports.

Beckam, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Djokovick, etc. are all undeniably elite, A level in their sport, some of the greatest athletes ever. But that doesn't mean they would do well in MMA, or any other particular sport.

Yes, an Olympian is undeniably A level; I don't know what the standard otherwise would be.

@chick magnet punk Brock Lesnar = B+ level Athlete >>>> Daniel Cormier
He would have beaten him in pretty much all athletic disciplines.

Really? Brock was nowhere near the level of wrestler, and nowhere near the level of MMA fighter, never was, never will be. DC was far more adept in MMA from the beginning; that would seem to indicate he was more athletically inclined.

NCAA champion is actually 100 miles below international top wrestler.

Romero is an A-B level athlete and DC is not even close to his level when it comes to athleticism lol

Greg Hardy/Brock Lesnar/Romero > rest
Romero is an Olympic silver medalist. He is an A+ level athlete by any metric.

people here beleive that DC is more athletic than Brock Lesnar.

Technique != athleticism
<36>

DC is an A level athlete that is now over the hill. The skill level and overall athleticism in the heavyweight division is so atrociously low, that he can still run roughshod over them.

If DC had an equal skill set at 30 years old - training MMA throughout his 20's - he would absolutely smash the guy he is today.

Jon Jones has two brothers, and both of them are multi-year starters in the NFL. That is without any room for argument, elite genetics. He is an elite athlete. Since he's still in his physical prime, cheating aside, he beat Cormier to sleep.

When someone with elite athletic ability trips and falls into MMA, we call them the greatest of all time. In other sports, guys with that level of athleticism fill the entire ranks.

If the base pay went up in MMA, we would attract heavyweights of an appropriate age, background and athletic ability. We crown 8 new Division I All American heavyweights every single year - where are they?

Teaching high school gym for 45k/year plus benefits, because that is a more reasonable risk -vs- reward than getting 10k show money to get your head punched in.

If the base pay went up, the pool would get deeper literally overnight.

Jon isnt the only jones brother failing drugs tests

Is there such a thing as cheater genetics?

You obviously didn't read my post carefully enough. Nobody has said a thing about being more athletic will make you a WORSE fighter, said no one ever.

Those NFL guys you've listed proved my point that just because you are at the 99th percentile in athleticism it doesn't make you a world class fighter. Each and every single one of those NFL guys has been defeated in the UFC.
You're absolutely right. I've seen a ton of people, some former professional athletes who were beasts in the gym, but could not put it together on fight night to (almost) save their lives, so they just stay gym warriors forever. Yes, athleticism absolutely helps, but the mental game is brutal, and being able to put what you've learned together while being punched in the face can't really be taught.

@NotoriousMillions it was 100% hand timed & many times they lie about this. Who was timing this? Because thats the biggest difference legit NFL 40 times and some high school and college shit. They even lie about this shit in soccer, thats why no one gives a shit.

Wrestling champion as about as A level as you get in sports. The competition and difficulty is absolutely brutal. People don't understand how strong and skilled DC is.

In his physical prime, he was an Olympian. Past his physical prime, he would go on to dominate some of the best fighters in the world. Presumably while all natty.
You know what they say. To presume makes dick faces of us all.

Back