Is Dan Henderson the luckiest fighter in MMA history?

Claude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Now I know sherdoggers are way too sensitive, so before jimmies get rustled (probably too late), i do think Dan Henderson is one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time, a legend and one of the toughest fighters this sport has ever seen. However i think his career looks a hell a lot better than it really is thanks to questionable ref stoppages, questionable decisions, great timing in his fights and easy paths to title shots. Here's in detail:

-He defeated a young and not yet in prime Antonio Nogueira in a very controversial fight in Rings (sure, Hendo was young as well). A fight that Nogueira controlled most of the time.

Thanks to that very questionable decision win Dan Henderson went on to win the King of Kings Rings tournament and has a nice looking win over the 2nd greatest HW of all time on his record.

He went on to get finished by Nogueira in Pride when Nog was actually in his prime.

susumu_crop_north.jpg

-He won both the Pride WW Grand Prix AND the Pride WW championship by beating Murilo Bustamante in a split decision.

-He was beaten by Kazuo Misaki at WW but since that fight was part of the GP tournament and not a title fight he got to keep the WW belt. Then he KO'd Wanderlei Silva (who was said to be sick and was coming off a brutal KO loss to Crocop) under unified rules, meaning 5 minute rounds and no knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent allowed (which Wanderlei used a lot), thus allowing Hendo to get the credit for holding the WW and MW titles at the same time. All of that without being the actual the best WW in Pride and beating the MW champion under very favorable conditions.

Can't deny it's a nice pic:

Dan-Henderson-Belts.jpg

-He then fought Rampage right away for the LHW title to unify the belts, lost and then got another immediate title shot against Anderson Silva to unifiy the MW belt. Technically these fights could be justified, although again Hendo wasn't the best Pride WW fighter.

-Hendo goes to Strikeforce and guess what? yup, he gets abother immediate title shot after Cung Le vacated the MW belt. He loses to Jake Shields. Then moves up to LHW, and beats an unranked Babalu to earn a title shot. He beats Calvacante and becomes the Strikeforce LHW champion.

-Being on TRT, he beats Fedor Emelianenko who was no longer in his days of glory and coming off 2 losses. You could argue the stoppage was somewhat questionable as Fedor was not entirely out and several punches to the back of the head were landed.

That being said Henderson could still have beaten/finished Fedor if the fight was allowed to continue. No excuses, but timing/PED's/ref did seem favor Henderson.

il04CG.gif

Add a win over the greatest HW ever to that resume. Honestly it's impressive...if you completely ignore the "how" and "when".

-He gets a W over Shogun Rua in a fight that pretty much everyone agrees should have been a draw as the 5th round was completely one sided in Shogun's favor. Had that round been scored 10-8, fight would have been a draw.

ShogunHendo_mounted.jpeg

Judges saved the day for Hendo once again. Add another big name to the resume. Although it must be said that he did beat Shogun fair and square in the rematch (although an even more dimished one).

-Now the icing on the cake:

He gets a title shot at MW being 3-6 in his last 9 fights, after beating an unranked Hector Lombard.

Henderson isn't even top ranked himself and he gets to fight for the #1 MW spot in the world. But we all know the justification here: he KO'd Bisping and we got some hilarious memes. It's amazing to think Hendo earned his title shot 7 years ago. Now he has the chance of a lifetime. He can retire as a UFC champion; an accolade he's never had before.

GSP better stays retired cause this dude is about to replace him as the man who walked away as the undisputed UFC champion of the world (minus the 9 title defenses of course).

gsp-funny.jpg

I can already see Hendo giving his post fight speech as the new MW champion in the world:

30rpik0.jpg

Bottom line:

Hendo is amazing, but he seemed to be in the right places at the right times, with the right refs/judges and on the right PED's several times. His biggest wins and resume look better on paper than they actually are. There's a reason Hendo was never a dominant champion and never defended a belt even once in his nearly 20 years of MMA career and i don't think that's a coincidence.

You don't agree with me? then ask yourself this question: How many of Henderson's big name wins can you honestly say were at their absolute peak and in a good fight shape?

As great as he is, I simply cannot think of luckier fighter than Dan Henderson.

Last edited:
Well he is top 10 all time for sure. In terms of his era and fighters that he competed with..

Hendo
Wandy
Chuck
Rampage
Shogun

Not sure where he falls there. Personally I would put Rampage ahead of him, giving him the nod over Chuck with Wandy being a toss up.. Has 2 wins over Shogun but their Pride careers were both fantastic..

Knocking ppl completely unconscious= luck? Common, his biggest wins are knockouts who gives a shit if he got some lucky decisions early in his career. He knocked Fedor dead, KO'ed prime Wand, and KO'ed the current Mw champ. That's all you need to know.

Not sure what’s worse. That I read all that shit, or that actually agree with some of it.
Still he's earned more than he's been given.

Nope. He has one of the baddest resume in mma ever, and has beat some of the best in the world. Including the precious Fedor.

Not sure what’s worse. That I read all that shit, or that actually agree with some of it.
Still he's earned more than he's been given.
He made a good job of the writing...

I've seen this type of thread for a few people before. I remember Brock fans trying to say every win Fedor ever got was just luck.

Everyone is going to have cases of fighting people before and after their prime and some close decisions.

Knocking ppl completely unconscious= luck? Common, his biggest wins are knockouts who gives a shit if he got some lucky decisions early in his career. He knocked Fedor dead, KO'ed prime Wand, and KO'ed the current Mw champ. That's all you need to know.

When they're questionable stoppages yes.

Timing also favored him. Note that none of those 3 fighers he KO'd were at the peak of their careers.

I'm not saying he isn't great, i'm saying some of his wins look better than they actually are were when you put them in context.

Last edited:
Nope. He has one of the baddest resume in mma ever, and has beat some of the best in the world. Including the precious Fedor.

Sure. I'm just adding some context.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the picture closer and in detail.

You're too sensitive for observing sherdogers ae too sensitive....
I'll show you how this works;
YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD TO BE LUCKY AND LUCKY TO BE GOOD.

I don't really care about the Bisping/Hendo fight, I'll be watching obviously but as a title fight I just can't take it seriously.

That being said, if Hendo wins I hope he keeps his word and retires, it would be bullshit if he went back on it considering one of the reasons this fight is happening is because he said he would.

Hendo knocked Fedor the fuck out. That was by no means a bad or early stoppage.

I don't know about lucky but he has great longevity and power in his hands. His whole winning career after Pride was basically him fighting alotta" green fighters and worn out veterans. He's just lucky he has a chin and KO power.

Love this thread, cause you used my old shoop (the last pic)

Get over yourself.. He was 6 years older than Fedor and he was MW moving up to fight a HW. Fedor doesn't need your excuses--he lost. It was the same SF Hendo who lost to Jake "Welterweight" Shields.

Back