Is Cormier underestimating Lewis?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Cormier is taking a fight on 3 weeks notice. He is typically a guy of preparation and repetition. He has not been actively training for a fight and has a messed up hand.

So why did he take this fight? He obviously wouldn't fight someone like Jon Jones or Gus given current conditions. He is clearly underestimating Lewis based on how awful (which he did) performance at UFC 229. He is also looking ahead for his money fight with Brock Lesnar.

I think the mentality of taking a fight because it is an easier one and on such short notice could hurt him. I don't think Lewis can condition his gas tank in such short time to survive a legitimate grind, but I think his size advantage and power could be a factor initially.

Personally, I think Cormier will easily win, grabbing a hold of that leg in round 1 and sapping any energy Lewis has. However, you can't sleep on the beast.

Lewis just got his ass kicked for 3 rounds. Who underestimates who?

Lewis just got his ass kicked for 3 rounds. Who underestimates who?

Against a near 7 foot legitimate striker who still got knocked out in the end.

Cormier is 5'8 on his tippy toes.

Lewis cuts to 265lbs. He will have about 30lbs on Cormier come fight night.

Lewis even said after his last fight he didn’t feel ready for a title shot. Stylistically DC is a terrible match up for him as well.

I'm sure Daniel won't be underestimating a 260lb dude with 10 t/ko's on his UFC record alone

He just wants to get away from Jones so bad that he took the fight.

Jones is fighting in 2 months. He couldnt take that one? I doubt the ufc didnt try to put it together

And they wouldnt let cormier hold 2 divisions waiting for lesnar. Not to mention the hand thing.

I hope for him that he doesnt.
Underestimating your opponent is the first step that lead to downfall

I don’t think dc underestimates anything. He seems like a guy that studies every little detail of his opponents

He is obviously underestimating Lewis. I hope it doesn't backfire on him as I would be in pain if Lewis knocked out DC and than Lesnar beat Lewis for the title.

I think he is and I think DC should be able to pull this off easily. But knowing the Beast you never know what will happen. "fuck wut dey talkin bout"

Cormier just has to tire him out and then out strike him while avoiding that big right hand.

Based on DC's own cardio and persistent wrestling, that shouldn't take long.

Once Lewis is tired, he doesn't give a fuck. That paycheck still clears regardless.

I'm more suprised a commission has signed off on this fight considering Lewis just took a ton of blows to the head. That's malpractice, IMO.

Cormier is taking a fight on 3 weeks notice. He is typically a guy of preparation and repetition. He has not been actively training for a fight and has a messed up hand.

So why did he take this fight? He obviously wouldn't fight someone like Jon Jones or Gus given current conditions. He is clearly underestimating Lewis based on how awful (which he did) performance at UFC 229. He is also looking ahead for his money fight with Brock Lesnar.

I think the mentality of taking a fight because it is an easier one and on such short notice could hurt him. I don't think Lewis can condition his gas tank in such short time to survive a legitimate grind, but I think his size advantage and power could be a factor initially.

Personally, I think Cormier will easily win, grabbing a hold of that leg in round 1 and sapping any energy Lewis has. However, you can't sleep on the beast.

Cormier is not underestimating Lewis, Lewis is underestimating Cormier, Volkov used him as a punching bag for 3 rounds and he is fighting again in 3 weeks, there is no way he is fully recovered, Cormier last fight was in july, he will win this one by whatever he wants, unless Lewis makes another miracle.

I think this would look a lot like the Oezdemir fight. 2nd round DC win by sub. What scares me is that DC is hittable and almost 40. And Lewis hits harder than Volkan.

Against a near 7 foot legitimate striker who still got knocked out in the end.

Cormier is 5'8 on his tippy toes.

Lewis cuts to 265lbs. He will have about 30lbs on Cormier come fight night.

Time to change your prescription glasses?

This fight makes 0 sense. I think nate really fucked over ufc, poirer. Fuck nate, tot even top 5, just made a name off of conor, who made a name off fw's. What joke this is.

I would just like to say Thank You to Cormier for fighting as frequently as he does.

This really isn't a fight that cormier needs to break down and study from all angles.
Grab him, get him tired, and take him down.

Back