Is Conor GOAT material? After this fight we know

He will never be the goat. Not really his fault, he is a superstar. All his fights will have some angle to make money. The days of him defending his belt against all challengers are gone. He won’t ever have the streak of title defenses that the other goat candidates have.

Again not really his fault.

I don't know about 'hardcores'. But anybody that knows anything about boxing knows that SRR is the GOAT. Then there's a small group with Armstrong, Greb, Langford, Pep, Louis, Duran and hell, maybe even Mayweather. I think general consensus has Ali somewhere between 5-10.

Tyson should be over the moon if he makes top 50

edit: I speak purely skill wise of course. Ali as a cultural phenomenon is miles beyond any of the other names I dropped
Fair enough, guess its a sherdog thing to put opinion as some form of fact especially when discussing such a subjective thing as 'goat' but many boxing fanatics that I meet on a day to day basis including some amateur and professional boxing coaches put Ali as the greatest of all time.
Many also don't shit on Tyson as hard as sherdog seems to either but hey, is a different kinda world down here.

LOL, nope.
McGregor:
Aldo #1 FW, #2 P4P
Alvarez #1 LW, #4 P4P
Khabib #1 LW, #5 P4P(Hypothetical)

Fedor:
Nogueira #1 HW, #1 P4P
Nogueira #2 HW, #2 P4P(I know, fighting someone twice, that's cheating)
Filipovic #2 HW, #5 P4P
Lindland #2 MW, #8 P4P(Yes, this was a thing)
Word Press Top 10 P4P Jan. 2007
Word Press Top 10 MW Apr. 2007

GSP:
Penn #2 WW, #9 P4P
Hughes #1 WW, #4 P4P
Penn #1 LW, #4 P4P(rematches, psssh)
Alves #2 WW, #9 P4P
Shields #4 WW, #6 P4P
Bispings #1 MW, #9 P4P

So, yeah.

Fair enough, guess its a sherdog thing to put opinion as some form of fact especially when discussing such a subjective thing as 'goat' but many boxing fanatics that I meet on a day to day basis including some amateur and professional boxing coaches put Ali as the greatest of all time.
Many also don't shit on Tyson as hard as sherdog seems to either but hey, is a different kinda world down here.

Ali is just tough as he was definitley succesful in a very deep and tough division. The fact that he missed years in his prime doesn't help, and more importantly, he lost in his prime. Not really something you judge an mma goat on (yet at least), but plenty boxers have not and that gives them an edge in the discussion. I always thought Sugar Ray Robinson was pretty much considered the goat by most. He was 128-1-2 at one point, avenging his only loss (before his prime) 4 times. Started as a featherweight, ended up almost winning the LHW title. Imagine Floyd fighting Kovalev, that shit is retarded.

Ali is just tough as he was definitley succesful in a very deep and tough division. The fact that he missed years in his prime doesn't help, and more importantly, he lost in his prime. Not really something you judge an mma goat on (yet at least), but plenty boxers have not and that gives them an edge in the discussion. I always thought Sugar Ray Robinson was pretty much considered the goat by most. He was 128-1-2 at one point, avenging his only loss (before his prime) 4 times. Started as a featherweight, ended up almost winning the LHW title. Imagine Floyd fighting Kovalev, that shit is retarded.
He also absolutely revolutionised heavyweight boxing and brought in science to the game.
Ali was more than a name, he was a hell of a boxer, man and as you already said, cultural figure.
I think that for many boxing fans, especially of his generation, he will forever be up on the top spot.

He also absolutely revolutionised heavyweight boxing and brought in science to the game.
Ali was more than a name, he was a hell of a boxer, man and as you already said, cultural figure.
I think that for many boxing fans, especially of his generation, he will forever be up on the top spot.

Joe Louis was basically the blueprint for Ali though. He said so himself. Ali added the dancing though which was cool

Joe Louis was basically the blueprint for Ali though. He said so himself. Ali added the dancing though which was cool
Yup... And it'll go on and on that way.
It is again why the goat discussion is a funny one.
For someone to become as good as X, they need Y to be better than...
So what do we end up having to say, -that the first person to ever lace a gloves was in fact the best ever?
(I'm not saying that's your argument BTW, just simply stating how goat discussions as whole don't make sense other than for entertainment)
Just like p4p rankings I guess.

Personally, I have Ali as no.1 (incase you didn't guess)

McGregor:
Aldo #1 FW, #2 P4P
Alvarez #1 LW, #4 P4P
Khabib #1 LW, #5 P4P(Hypothetical)

Fedor:
Nogueira #1 HW, #1 P4P
Nogueira #2 HW, #2 P4P(I know, fighting someone twice, that's cheating)
Filipovic #2 HW, #5 P4P
Lindland #2 MW, #8 P4P(Yes, this was a thing)
Word Press Top 10 P4P Jan. 2007
Word Press Top 10 MW Apr. 2007

GSP:
Penn #2 WW, #9 P4P
Hughes #1 WW, #4 P4P
Penn #1 LW, #4 P4P(rematches, psssh)
Alves #2 WW, #9 P4P
Shields #4 WW, #6 P4P
Bispings #1 MW, #9 P4P

So, yeah.

LOL!

Yeah, Those don't count. Sorry bud.

I'll give GSP Penn (even though he was from a smaller weight class), Hughes, and Bisping (although let's be honest...lmao)

Those wins just don't compare to Conor. GSP is the GOAT now, but his time is coming up. He even knows it, that's why he's scurried back scrambling trying to grab title shot everywhere.

Fedor on the other hand is not even in the discussion, lmao.

After khabib yes, if he beats say Tony then Porier again he would be very close. A win in a GSP mega fight would do it

If he beat Tony, he would be ahead of GSP by a good margin.

GSP doesn't even have three wins in his own weight class that are that good, much less MW where he only beat Bisping.

Aldo, Ferguson, Alvarez, Khabib, Mendes, Poirer, Holloway, Sivir. Diaz

Vs.

Diaz, Condit, Hughes, Penn (LW), Sherk (LW), Serra, Shields, Alves, Fitch, Koscheck, Bisping, and Hardy.

There's a few more names on GSPs list, but most of the talent is Conor's worst big win (Sivir) level...and two of them are from a smaller weight class.

None of those guys are particularly great either. Hughes and Penn are the closest thing to that, but once again Penn was a LW.

Conor's five best wins, maybe even Poirer are all better, many of them significantly. A lot of them at a higher weight class too..

I would like to see Conor v. GSP after Khabib though in a Battle of the GOATs. Maybe for the WW strap if GSP balls up and take it, or in a new 165 division. GSP is probably the worst match up nightmare for him around, and he is multiple weight classes bigger, but it would leave no more debate. There would be verifiable proof, and Conor would have to overcome major disadvantages which would make it even sweeter.

he's only a GOAT if he ever defends his belts at all. He's the GOAT at making money in MMA I'll give him that. lol.

Objectively conor is far from the goat
He has one great win and several good wins
That s it
Khabib (even though he has a perfect record) has a few top ten wins but has yet to beat a top 3 fighter...
This fight won t make a goat candidate imo
Look at real goat candidate : they all have several title defences and alot of top guys on their resume
What do you mean by "objectively"?

I don't know if Khabib can beat a healthy Tony or Kevin Lee. I got both those fights as toss ups, Lee beat Barboza worse than Khabib did.

How did Lee beat Barboza worse? Khabib annihilated him without getting any damage himself while barboza almost knocked Lee's head off in the third and won that round. Lee only finished him in the later rounds while Khabib fight was only 3 rounds so that finish cannit be compared. Khabib will wreck Lee, nobody considers Lee anything special but there is a reason why everybody is so high on Khabib including the greats like Silva, GSP and Fedor. Even Lee's chin is weak so I dont just get where this Lee is better than Khabib is coming from.

As for Fergusson, I cannot deny that is Khabob's most dangerous fight and Fergusson has more than proven it by beating his last 10 opponents.

I don't know about 'hardcores'. But anybody that knows anything about boxing knows that SRR is the GOAT. Then there's a small group with Armstrong, Greb, Langford, Pep, Louis, Duran and hell, maybe even Mayweather. I think general consensus has Ali somewhere between 5-10.

Tyson should be over the moon if he makes top 50

edit: I speak purely skill wise of course. Ali as a cultural phenomenon is miles beyond any of the other names I dropped
I agree, Tyson wasn't even the best HWT of his era (Lewis and Holyfield, maybe even Bowe were better) let alone P4P GOAT.

Would be a huge win but for me he has to defend his belt a couple of times before he’s in the GOAT conversation

I remember when GOATs defended his belts 8-10 times and still been doubts if he's really GOAT... now they call u GOAT when u have tons followers on instashit

He'd be a 4x UFC champ who's 10-1 in the UFC. Stop pretending like there's a plethora of other fighters who can say that.

I agree he shouldn't be on the GOAT without at least a couple of defences or at least crazy wins (first ever three weight champ for instance), but to call him a famous Instagram fighter is dumb.

GOATS don't lose to rank 9 gatekeepers. We saw Conor isn't goat 2 years ago.
Yea and GSP lost to Serra.
Goats are defined by their overall career not one single fight cherry picked from all their fights.

Back