Is competing at Masters divisions laughed at?

I've been winning my local tournaments for the past couple years where there are no age brackets but have been getting smoked at ibjjf masters 1 and 2 so far, for whatever that's worth to you.

I think it's ridiculous, and it's perfectly legit to compete in the Master's division. I'm 35, and that's the division I compete in. Moreover, in some tournaments, I'm actually not allowed to register for the regular adult division. It's true that at the world class championship level, only adult black belt matters, but that is really for the .001% of BJJ practitioners reaching that level. For the rest of us, we shouldn't worry about it.

I can't wait to be in Master's. Nothing like losing to 17 year olds that have been training 3x longer than I have lol.

And there'll be a brief period where you're the youngest in the division and have that advantage, too!

I have fought in combat sports since age 13, Im 43 in August. I can tell you with certainty that after 35 you just do not recover the same. I never thought it would happen to me, it was always some abstract concept.

Now to recover I have to basically focus on every little thing, proper sleep, nutrition, rest between sessions etc. Thats just for maintenance.

Masters is there for a reason man, it's. legit as fuck division.

"laughed at"? no. but yes the adult division is of course the "A-league".

"laughed at"? no. but yes the adult division is of course the "A-league".

Obviously masters isn’t the elite competiton but it’s fantastic for older grapplers to get a legit challenge and compete

Back