Is Chael Sonnen a good wrestler?

Better credentials than GSP, but GSP has some the greatest wrestling skills MMA has ever seen... Weird

sonnen500.gif

giphy.gif

sonnen-slam-o.gif

qjea15pgqkwz.gif

Literally half the gifs you just posted were meaningless so why bother at all?

People make a bit too lightly of GSP's wrestling training. The guy was not only taught to wrestle by Gia Sissaouri, but had Gia as a wrestling training partner for a number of years. No one gets that sort of daily exposure to elite level training and sparring in four years training as a Division I wrestler.

Why would you make a wildly inaccurate, bombastic claim like that?

Jordan Burroughs doesn't have silver medals like Gia, he has a wall full of gold. He is head and shoulders more accomplished than Gia, and wrestled for all four years of college in the NCAA. Suffice to say his training partners were exposed to elite training and sparring.

Kyle Snyder is head and shoulders more accomplished than Gia. Gold on gold on gold. He won the Olympics while - literally - actively competing in the NCAA.

J'Den Cox is a NCAA senior at Mizzou and just won the bronze medal - wait for it - he is the SEVENTH Mizzou wrestler to win an Olympic medal.

You are speaking out of turn. All American level Division I wrestlers are regularly training and competing with Olympian and World team guys.

Does it matter? A wrestling pedigree doesn’t mean much in MMA. What was GSP’s wrestling background?

Conversely guys like Woodley, Hendricks and Gaethje who were great wrestlers don’t use it all that much.

Yoel is the GOAT example of an elites wrestler who is too stupid to use his skills

Underrated wrestler.
Held down Anderson for 4.5 rounds and tapped Shogun.

Chael is from the mean streets. He had it tough. Gangster.

Regardless of his background, dude got the job done in the octagon, goood mma wrestling.

Someone actually tried to argue that Chael would be able to beat Weidman... Now I've seen it all.

<36>

Why would you make a wildly inaccurate, bombastic claim like that?

Jordan Burroughs doesn't have silver medals like Gia, he has a wall full of gold. He is head and shoulders more accomplished than Gia, and wrestled for all four years of college in the NCAA. Suffice to say his training partners were exposed to elite training and sparring.

Kyle Snyder is head and shoulders more accomplished than Gia. Gold on gold on gold. He won the Olympics while - literally - actively competing in the NCAA.

J'Den Cox is a NCAA senior at Mizzou and just won the bronze medal - wait for it - he is the SEVENTH Mizzou wrestler to win an Olympic medal.

You are speaking out of turn. All American level Division I wrestlers are regularly training and competing with Olympian and World team guys.

You're missing the "four years" part... and the part where four years is generally more like two because very few freshmen would get the type of mat time with a guy like Snyder (who is an extreme anomaly, BTW), that GSP would have gotten with Gia.

GSP worked very closely with Gia for several years. That's the point I'm making. Not that Gia is somehow more elite than anyone that a guy with a Division I background would have ever trained with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back