Is Canelo the Definitive Face of Boxing?

AJ won't be affected by his run in with the law lol. Literally nobody gives a flying fuck that he dealt a little drugs. They put it down to bad decisions made as an adolescent. Well that's how it is in the UK, maybe the US might be a bit more anally retentive about it, I don't know. AJ will be bigger than Canelo if he keeps winning. Beating Wilder would turn him into a global megastar. He's a HW. The average person gives a shit about the HW's.

In the US they will very much so care about it. Just as people cared that Adonis Stevenson was a pimp. I've literally argued with people saying they don't like Stevenson because they heard he beats women. Nothing to say about his boxing, just the pimp thing.

My rebuttal......well, he beats men to---on a world class level. lol Depending on who you bring it up to, yes it matters.

In the US they will very much so care about it. Just as people cared that Adonis Stevenson was a pimp. I've literally argued with people saying they don't like Stevenson because they heard he beats women. Nothing to say about his boxing, just the pimp thing.

My rebuttal......well, he beats men to---on a world class level. lol Depending on who you bring it up to, yes it matters.
Then it will be interesting to see how the US treats him. He admitted it over here and put it down to bad decisions that he made while he was young and dumb, and that excuse was fully accepted and now no one brings up the issue. I know that the US can be more judgemental about such things.

Worldwide popularity is tricky to measure I suppose, and Im not even sure how many fighters have been “worldwide stars”

I agree with you that it's definitely tricky. But we can speculate a little bit about it. Let's say if more than 30% of the human population knows your name at the peak of your career you're considered a "worldwide star". I would suppose Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Tyson, Klitschko would all fit that category. Joshua has a good shot but Hearn seems is only interested about his popularity in UK. Very few TV deals internationally after the Klitschko fight. AJ got that fame in one night and only keeps it due to his fitness photos in social medias like IG and FB. Canelo is super popular in USA and Mexico but I don't see him ever shining outside of those two countries and possibly UK. The general public won't give a shit about a middleweight as much as we hardcores enjoy the fights down there. Worldwide in terms of number of people that know about him I guarantee you even Wilder and Fury are more famous than him.

Then it will be interesting to see how the US treats him. He admitted it over here and put it down to bad decisions that he made while he was young and dumb, and that excuse was fully accepted and now no one brings up the issue. I know that the US can be more judgemental about such things.

I love my country, but we can get tied up over the most trivial things. When people started commenting that "Floyd can't read" to try to discredit him, I was done. How does that in any way shape or form mean anything to his boxing or you appreciating his skillset?

Funny thing is, people nowadays generally get an education to do what? Make money. He skipped the education part, and makes more money than us. We worked harder in that field and got less. lol However, that is a whole other discussion to be had.

Don’t kid yourself. Floyd and Pacquiao are no longer hot commodities in boxing, be it mainstream or Mayweather. In fact for he purist minds of the sweet science Floyd was always superior to PAC. To the casual boxing fans that thought HBO was the holy grail or de facto bought into Pacquiao as some legendary boxer.

Canelo at 28 vs Pacquiao at 28, opposition alone he was always the superior boxer. Top Rank creating controversial series for Pacquiao with other in-house TR boxers... cmon..

Aside from what’s on paper or popularity contests to now justify that Canelo isn’t as popular because his recent win jogged many GGG fans’ heads...

Let’s just say the best of Canelo is to come. Canelo with Tecate alone for mainstream USA commercials is bigger than any commercials Floyd or Manny ever achieved. Commmercials in Mexico or Phillipines doesn’t even matter.
None of the underlined text in the quote above has anything to do with what I've said in this thread, so I can only assume you are responding to some fictitious individual of your own imagined creation there. I don't even know what phrases like "be it mainstream of Mayweather", or "aside from what's on paper or popularity contests" or "jogged many GGG fans' heads" are meant to mean exactly. If we're defining "face of boxing" to just mean what current boxers the general public worldwide are aware of, obviously Mayweather and Pacquiao are still far better known than Canelo and there's really no comparison there.

Do you think AJ's brief criminal history could create a ceiling for how popular or mainstream he becomes if someone chooses to reference it? Nothing is off the table in boxing.

I think of it this way.....Floyd embraced being the bad guy, so it worked. Floyd was so popular in the height of his career because people wanted to see him lose. These were the biggest PPV draws, when he was thought to be at risk of losing. He was the face of boxing largely because he was the heel.

Joshua did sell out Wembley however.

Canelo I think has everything needed to sell to the hardcore fans, and the casual fans alike.

Do you think their is a ceiling for either? Whether it be Canelo's lack of English (as posted earlier) or AJ potentially losing fans on the basis of his past run ins with the law? "Worldwide" meaning comparable success, and recognition as Mayweather to become "the guy" in boxing.
Dont see it beeing an issue at all.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are still far better known than Canelo and there's really no comparison there.

stop it.... lol. Ryan Garcia is already proof how new generation kids in America gravitate to marketing. All the new gen kids that follow Ryan Garcia FOLLOW Canelo Alvarez. As I stated before, CANELO stole of GGG fans from Los Angeles as well as the minority of Mexican fans for GGG. The sad part of boxing, as Floyd said, ''people will just jump onto the next.'' We know for a fact that GGG lost a lot of die hard fans last Saturday...who they will jump onto next is questionable...but most likely Canelo Alvarez.

The name Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson still tower Mayweather and Pacquiao combined just becuase the internet is saturated with 2 decades of publications in cache that have the best boxers of all time....that means any curious casual....and I assure you, Mayweather and Pacquiao are not even there..

In other words, Mayweather and Pacquiao are not a standard for Canelo Alvarez or even Anthony Joshua for ''face of boxing'' today.

The drug-cheat robot-personality fighter who already has four questionable decisions in his biggest fights and is managed by a cross-dressing coke-head?

There has been a void ever since Floyd "retired". Many great fighters have been present, but no one could seem to break out as the face of boxing. With Canelo taking down the once feared GGG, giving him a loss on his record, is Alvarez the new poster boy of the sport?

Considering he has the image, the skill, the fanbase, the promoter, is he now the man to be thought of when talking boxing?

Not to me.

Joshua or Loma despite less pro experience would be better contenders

stop it.... lol. Ryan Garcia is already proof how new generation kids in America gravitate to marketing. All the new gen kids that follow Ryan Garcia FOLLOW Canelo Alvarez. As I stated before, CANELO stole of GGG fans from Los Angeles as well as the minority of Mexican fans for GGG. The sad part of boxing, as Floyd said, ''people will just jump onto the next.'' We know for a fact that GGG lost a lot of die hard fans last Saturday...who they will jump onto next is questionable...but most likely Canelo Alvarez.

The name Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson still tower Mayweather and Pacquiao combined just becuase the internet is saturated with 2 decades of publications in cache that have the best boxers of all time....that means any curious casual....and I assure you, Mayweather and Pacquiao are not even there..

In other words, Mayweather and Pacquiao are not a standard for Canelo Alvarez or even Anthony Joshua for ''face of boxing'' today.
What you're saying is mostly unintelligible to me, partly because the poor syntax and imprecise word choices make it hard to understand, but also because your last statement does not follow logically from anything you said before it either. Presumably you're trying to make some point about the influence of new media, but I can honestly say that I have no idea how that relates to Mayweather and Pacquiao not being a "standard" for being the "face of boxing", and, I don't even know what that means exactly. And you thinking Ali and Tyson are popular because the internet has articles on them saying they're good, well that's very dumb as their popularity obviously has nothing to do with casuals reading top 10 all time rankings lists, but I can't see why you think that is relevant anyway.

What you're saying is mostly unintelligible to me, partly because the poor syntax and imprecise word choices make it hard to understand, but also because your last statement does not follow logically from anything you said before it either. Presumably you're trying to make some point about the influence of new media, but I can honestly say that I have no idea how that relates to Mayweather and Pacquiao not being a "standard" for being the "face of boxing", and, I don't even know what that means exactly. And you thinking Ali and Tyson are popular because the internet has articles on them saying they're good, well that's very dumb as their popularity obviously has nothing to do with casuals reading top 10 all time rankings lists, but I can't see why you think that is relevant anyway.

He’s retarded mate.

I definitely think Lomachenko and Joshua are bigger than Canelo in the UK.

Marquez? Come on , not even in Mexico

Pac and Mayweather were the faces of boxing

Now it's Canelo in North America and
AJ in Europe

And that's healthy for boxing
Im pretty sure Marquez has some of the most watched fights in Mexico. Had like 34m viewers for one of his fights.

Im pretty sure Marquez has some of the most watched fights in Mexico. Had like 34m viewers for one of his fights.
His fights were watched , that was vs Pacquiao though

But sadly as far as having raving fans he never had them or the backing from a major network like Canelo has

Ryan Garcia is not ''new media.'' the purists and sweet science fans know that after Canelo's bout 1 with GGG showcasing defense to completely fight unorthodox via Canelo Alvarez style in bout 2 (Like Mayweather vs Conor - as much of joke that was), any real boxing fans know that Canelo's skill level alone and strategy variance has him neck to neck with Lomachenko - who's mainly a tactician with offensive entertainment....aside from him getting clipped by Linares or getting bum rushed by Salido...

Yes, Canelo has a high mark as being the latest FACE OF BOXING to REAL boxing fans. Mayweather and Pacquiao are old news

Not to me.

Joshua or Loma despite less pro experience would be better contenders
Loma has no business being mentioned with those two as far as popularity. Theyre not even in the same ball park.

Canelo is a drug cheat and has been gifted 2 fights vs ggg.. Mexicans don’t even really like him from what I’ve seen and heard lol. There isn’t really a face for boxing right now tbh .. very interesting ... Loma he ko I believe could be very soon though

Canelo is a drug cheat and has been gifted 2 fights vs ggg.. Mexicans don’t even really like him from what I’ve seen and heard lol. There isn’t really a face for boxing right now tbh .. very interesting ... Loma he ko I believe could be very soon though
your Mexican friends lol
WmPV.gif

fake news

Back