Is Canada the GOAT country of all time?

They are awesome, but f#ck-sake, have you tasted their beer?

d1ac65179e34cc3a548a55998232efb0.gif

You still have the queen on your money... you aren't a country... glorified State of the UK essentially.

{<BJPeen}

If you said Canadian people are the GOAT I would agree.

However our politics, healthcare, taxation, cost of living, quality of public service, lack of commitment to our military obligations, treatment of our veterans, education system, tax payer funded broadcaster, Celine Dion, treatment of first Nations, subsequent pandering to first Nations, Winnipeg, limited industry, lack of freedom of speech, and one dimensional culture outside of Quebec, probably keeps us from a top 30 berth in the GOAT nation status.

Canada is America's hat. Mexico is our beard.

I'm sure it's a nice country to live in but I don't think they've contributed to much. On the surface, you might think that countries like Canada, or the Scandinavian nations, are amazing, but how amazing would they be if they didn't benefit from the innovation achieved by others?

Countries like America are what push the envelope, and allow mankind to progress, even if the life of the average citizen isn't so comfy. Being able to afford a good standard of life for the average citizen isn't all that meaningful, compared to other factors that can bring up the standard of life by a massive amount and re-define living for the entirety of mankind, in a single swoop, such as technological innovation.

How amazing would the USA be if it threw up its walls and had not been involved in relations with the rest of the world? America had needed the world as much as the world has needed America to be a success. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship.

And with certain obvious exceptions (like R&D research for medical drugs) it by no means settled that countries like Canada are free riding off of the USA rather than the other way around. Access to markets and resources has fueled American exceptionalism in a form of at least occasionally enlightened self interest.

Bit of a false dichotomy going on with your last paragraph. The condition of the average citizen in the USA is a politcal one and is no way determining what the next technological break through is. You think the internet was created becuase the USA has a shitty income distribution?

I really do like Canada. I love to learn to build one, and sit inside. Or even an Ice Hotel.
Actually the ice hotel in Alaska is way nicer than ours. The wife and I actually wanted to get married there.

I'm also under the impression that everyone in Canada has played Dungeons and Dragons extensively at some point in there lives.
Not only that, I was one hell of a campaign writer and dungeon master.

Last edited:
How amazing would the USA be if it threw up its walls and had not been involved in relations with the rest of the world? America had needed the world as much as the world has needed America to be a success. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship.

And with certain obvious exceptions (like R&D research for medical drugs) it by no means settled that countries like Canada are free riding off of the USA rather than the other way around. Access to markets and resources has fueled American exceptionalism in a form of at least occasionally enlightened self interest.

Bit of a false dichotomy going on with your last paragraph. The condition of the average citizen in the USA is a politcal one and is no way determining what the next technological break through is. You think the internet was created becuase the USA has a shitty income distribution?

Not that, particularly, no, but it was certainly invented because a fire was lit under someone's ass to do so.

A comfy welfare state simply does not encourage competitiveness and innovation to the extent that an ultra-capitalist society such as America does.

Of course, the welfare state and the natural competitive drive of men can both be preserved in a society, but not through current methods. So we are stuck on choosing between one or the other.

Then Japan probably wins. Best diet in the world. Lowest incidence of gun violence. Award winning liquor. The list goes on. But Canada is right up there. On the other hand, things like work-life balance and the ability to walk outside without wearing a mask give Canada the edge, I think.
Does a balaclava count as having to wear a mask?

Reading the rest of the thread ... how is there any argument about greatest CAN athlete?

GOAT country of all time needs a better sound system.

If you said Canadian people are the GOAT I would agree.

However our politics, healthcare, taxation, cost of living, quality of public service, lack of commitment to our military obligations, treatment of our veterans, education system, tax payer funded broadcaster, Celine Dion, treatment of first Nations, subsequent pandering to first Nations, Winnipeg, limited industry, lack of freedom of speech, and one dimensional culture outside of Quebec, probably keeps us from a top 30 berth in the GOAT nation status.

Trudeau is trash.
Probably not even his father's child.

Its up there for sure. They are probably top five in most if not all rankings.

Back