Is Canada the GOAT country of all time?

Seriously though, in analysis, before he hurt his back, Gretzky was the most dominant performer of any athlete in any sport versus the standard "starter" of any era in history besides Babe Ruth. The comparison that was illuminating was Jordan, who would have needed to average OVER 100/PPG to match his pre-injury period (even ignoring the assists, lol). And in truth, he was the greatest hockey player in the league after the injury (Larry Bird wishes he could say the same.)

The dude's fucking Assists ALONE are still the highest point total in NHL history, more than 40 beyond Jagr's total (2nd place all-time).

Across sports, that looks like ~1,000 Home Runs, ~55,000 points in Basketball, and ~100,000 yards passing in the NFL. Whole career, even including the injuries years, that bastard was just under 2 points PER GAME. The guy had four 200 POINT SEASONS. He reached 1,000 points in less than 450 games, and 500 goals in ~550 games. He won the leagues equivalent of the MVP 9x times, as much as Bobby Orr, Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy and Brett Hull combined! Dude holds or shares over 60 NHL records. To call him just the NHL's greatest player is kinda absurd ... he is AT THE TOP of the greatest competitors in their chosen arena of any field.

Beyond that, he was THE guy that changed the ideal player model from the roughneck to the finesse artist. He was 160 lbs. in an era when the league encouraged kicking ass! He finished one season at 183 points, when 2nd place was 108 ... if your not a hockey fan, you won't understand this, but if you are ... HOLY SHIT! 70%?

Anyone who pretends anyone on earth was as dominant as The Great One is definitely under 40. It's not even close.
I'm a leafs fan. We hold a grudge for '93.

If it wasn't for me having a family I'd of moved out of Canada. Or atleast ontario, politicians and policies ruined this province.
We don't have the freedoms like the US does, Id like to know what freedom of speech feels like not this 'freedom of speech but..' Like we have here

Sorry, but what would you like to say that you can't say in Canada? Because I'm pretty sure you can still say :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

As far as third world petroleum states go, no one even comes close to us.

If it wasn't for me having a family I'd of moved out of Canada. Or atleast ontario, politicians and policies ruined this province.
We don't have the freedoms like the US does, Id like to know what freedom of speech feels like not this 'freedom of speech but..' Like we have here
LOL how's this for free speech, go fuck yourself.

Edit: on sober second thought, although it was funny, I retract this comment. Instead, how about you tell us what you'd like to say that you think you can't say?

I've got news for you, life in the US is significantly tougher and riskier than in Canada. Unless you have a specific reason to be in the US or high income opportunity, you're better off in Canada.

There are many great things about the US, but if you think it's easier to get by, you are dreaming.

Last edited:
Not that, particularly, no, but it was certainly invented because a fire was lit under someone's ass to do so.

A comfy welfare state simply does not encourage competitiveness and innovation to the extent that an ultra-capitalist society such as America does.

Of course, the welfare state and the natural competitive drive of men can both be preserved in a society, but not through current methods. So we are stuck on choosing between one or the other.

It was govt fire, and by your response I think you are missing the obv. point that govt, education, infrastructure, generalized publically funded RnD plays in creating the conditions for these break throughs.

Of course market competition creates forces for innovation and the USA has often led the way here, but I am going to have to restate that you really have created a false dichotomy here. A quick survey of western countries and history of the USA shows that it’s not some simple binary choice between welfare for the people or innovation.

I've got news for you, life in the US is significantly tougher and riskier than in Canada. Unless you have a specific reason to be in the US or high income opportunity, you're better off in Canada.

There are many great things about the US, but if you think it's easier to get by, you are dreaming.
No dreaming.. i dont think id chose the US either.

LOL go have immoral relations with yourself.

You're welcome to enlighten me about Canada's contributions to humanity.

It was govt fire, and by your response I think you are missing the obv. point that govt, education, infrastructure, generalized publically funded RnD plays in creating the conditions for these break throughs.

Of course market competition creates forces for innovation and the USA has often led the way here, but I am going to have to restate that you really have created a false dichotomy here. A quick survey of western countries and history of the USA shows that it’s not some simple binary choice between welfare for the people or innovation.

It's not so much a matter of welfare, as it is a matter of what kind of welfare.

Canada, and the Scandinavian welfare states, won't be playing much of a role in mankind's future. I don't actually expect these countries to exist in 50 to 100 years. Many such states now reside in the dustbin of history, either as a part of a larger federation, or having disintegrated into smaller states, as populations within grew more and more culturally divided. With the way the world is developing, a country that has been founded upon immigration, could lose a significant percentage of the population due to an economic depression, as "welfare shopping" between the countries becomes increasingly prevalent. There is no incentive to stay in a country that offers less. But it is also impossible to guarantee endless growth.

If we judge purely based on welfare, then on the same token I could say that Finland is the greatest country, or that Sweden is the greatest country. But I think the people who live in those countries know fully well that they aren't the greatest at anything, outside of offering social services to a relatively small population.

Last edited:

It's not so much a matter of welfare, as it is a matter of what kind of welfare.

Canada, and the Scandinavian welfare states, won't be playing much of a role in mankind's future. I don't actually expect these countries to exist in 50 to 100 years. Many such states now reside in the dustbin of history, either as a part of a larger federation, or having disintegrated into smaller states, as populations within grow more and more culturally divided. With the way the world is developing, a country that has been founded upon immigration, could lose a significant percentage of the population due to an economic depression, as "welfare shopping" between the countries becomes increasingly prevalent. There is no incentive to stay in a country that offers less.

If we judge purely based on welfare, then on the same token I could say that Finland is the greatest country, or that Sweden is the greatest country. But I think the people who live in those countries know fully well that they aren't the greatest at anything, outside of offering social services to a relatively small population.
If this post is serious and not just trolling, I feel sorry for you. You must be pretty miserable. Fortunately, you're entirely wrong.

Canada, and the Scandinavian welfare states, won't be playing much of a role in mankind's future. I don't actually expect these countries to exist in 50 to 100 years. Many such states now reside in the dustbin of history, either as a part of a larger federation, or having disintegrated into smaller states, as populations within grew more and more culturally divided. With the way the world is developing, a country that has been founded upon immigration, could lose a significant percentage of the population due to an economic depression, as "welfare shopping" between the countries becomes increasingly prevalent. There is no incentive to stay in a country that offers less. But it is also impossible to guarantee endless growth.

Sorry but you are not really make much more than a really vague point accompanied by a vapid forecast. I am still waiting for this Great Leap Forward that would not have happened had say the USA had higher taxes on the top 20% in the last 20 years and done more for those impacted by globalization. L O L at Canada not existing in 50 years.

I saw this video and it made me want to be Canadian, and at the same time, wish the words in the National Anthem carried some meaning in the Trump era. The land of the free and home of the brave? Hm, that seems dubious.

Anyways, what's up with Canada? I'd like to visit.

Let's see. High taxes. Vast wasteland. Taking in thousands of illigals hatians because we got rid of them. Language battles between english and French. Gay marriage.

No thanks.

If this post is serious and not just trolling, I feel sorry for you. You must be pretty miserable. Fortunately, you're entirely wrong.

I have faith in people like you making my prediction come true.

Sorry but you are not really make much more than a really vague point accompanied by a vapid forecast. I am still waiting for this Great Leap Forward that would not have happened had say the USA had higher taxes on the top 20% in the last 20 years and done more for those impacted by globalization. L O L at Canada not existing in 50 years.

L O L at Canada being the GOAT country in the world.

People are beyond delusion. I'm sorry to temper delusion with realism, but someone had to do it.

Most people outside the Western hemisphere don't even know where Canada resides. You ask a Finn about what Canada is, and they'll say it's the country that plays good hockey. That's it.

They didn't put men on the moon, they didn't win the World Wars, they didn't invent nor mass produce the automobile. Again, nice place to live in for a time, but that's the extent of it. Not so much when they hit inevitable economic stagnation.

America has toughened people up to last through the hard times, through times of change. Comfy welfare states have not. You can't change anything once people have come to expect everything to be handed to them. They will remain as they are until they run of out the temporary economic pump enabled by mass immigration. And then they will whine, complain and sulk, until eventually coming to accept the reality that it was all a mirage, enabled by massive debt-taking and mass immigration to replace dying native populations infected with the disease of modern culture.

Last edited:

People are beyond delusion. I'm sorry to temper delusion with realism, but someone had to do it.

Most people outside the Western hemisphere don't even know where Canada resides. You ask a Finn about what Canada is, and they'll say it's the country that plays good hockey. That's it.

They didn't put men on the moon, they didn't win the World Wars, they didn't invent nor mass produce the automobile. Again, nice place to live in for a time, but that's the extent of it. Not so much when they hit inevitable economic stagnation.

America has toughened people up to last through the hard times, through times of change. Comfy welfare states have not. You can't change anything once people have come to expect everything to be handed to them. They will remain as they are until they run of out the temporary economic pump enabled by mass immigration. And then they will whine, complain and sulk, until eventually coming to accept the reality that it was all a mirage, enabled by massive debt-taking and mass immigration to replace dying native populations infected with the disease of modern culture.
You can always stay in Finland and be quiet.
Man you need to get that screw tightened.

You can always stay in Finland and be quiet.
Man you need to get that screw tightened.

I don't see myself as being unnecessarily uptight. If someone put up a thread about "is Mr. X the goat fighter of all time", I'd critically evaluate that too.

Right now, I just don't see a case being made for Canada. If it's about welfare, then the Nordic systems have better welfare to offer (regardless of whether or not these welfare states are going to sink). If it's about factors such as technological innovation, cultural dominance, military might, global influence, then their southern neighbour obviously upstages them.

I don't see a whole lot of people putting up proper arguments on Canada's behalf.

Americans too, as it turns out.

Back