Is Broner's career done?

KantoTerror

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He got outclassed and looked like he was ready to quit and was fighting on pride...

If you mean "Will he fulfil his cheerleaders' boasts that he will eventually become an all-time great?" then: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no.

If you mean "Will he continue to get paydays based on his stupid antics, his massive visibility due to early-career HBO hype & good connections with promoters?" then: DUH, of course.

We're probably stuck seeing him take beatings until 2025 or so; on the downside, he'll probably get title shots & fights with those more deserving on such a regular basis that odds are eventually he'll get lucky & chin someone (he can, after all, bang a bit).

Eh, still a name with talent but far from elite now and it has to do with his horrible fight IQ. He will have to clear out 2-3 top guys between 140-147lbs. for anyone to take him seriously again.

Hell never be relevant again. He has a few more years as a gatekeeper.

I still have a SMALL amount of faith in this guy...a small amount. He just needs to get his shit together and stay focused on boxing solely. No rapping, partying, getting in trouble, jail, and all that other bullshit

I still have a SMALL amount of faith in this guy...a small amount. He just needs to get his shit together and stay focused on boxing solely. No rapping, partying, getting in trouble, jail, and all that other bullshit
My thoughts exactly...I mean the guy has all the tools, the backing of Floyd and all the good shit to make him big...and he looks to just living the good life that boxing give, not the hardwork that the rest of his peers (Thurman, Porter, Spence, Garcia, Crawford, Pac & Floyd) possess.

Hell never be relevant again. He has a few more years as a gatekeeper.

If he is serious about keeping his weight down (big if, I know), it's not impossible to see him snatching up a title against a somewhat questionable opponent once Crawford moves up and all the JWW titles are vacated. Broner is still a decent JWW, he's just a very clear step below the best. I can't see him having any meaningful success at WW, though.

My thoughts exactly...I mean the guy has all the tools, the backing of Floyd and all the good shit to make him big...and he looks to just living the good life that boxing give, not the hardwork that the rest of his peers (Thurman, Porter, Spence, Garcia, Crawford, Pac & Floyd) possess.

I don't know if work ethic is as big an issue with Broner as people make it out to be. He's just not nearly as talented as people originally thought (and he's got very poor fight IQ).

He's still good enough to be a world title holder at 140 (once Crawford moves up) but he's clearly never going to be the man in any division. He doesn't seem motivated or realistic enough to apply himself properly and even if he did, he still doesn't have the intelligence in the ring to make it work at the highest level.

See, I don't agree with this at all.

His early dominance & title belts were based on being fifteen pounds plus bigger than dudes by the time he got in the ring.

Now the kidneys can't handle the drain any longer & he has spent four or so years fighting dudes his actual size, his enormous technical flaws (concreted-over feet, lack of basic fundamentals, shitty defence & so-low-it's-surely-negative boxing IQ) have all been exposed.

He is not going to develop remedies to those flaws in his late 20s. If he does it'll make Barrera's post-Junior Jones type reinvention look like a minor adjustment & Broner will take his place as some sort of modern great. But that ain't gonna fuckin' happen.

He's an amazing athlete, quick & strong. He looked like an Adonis versus Garcia. He's just not as good a boxer (or a fighter) as his boosters think he is, & he only looked like he was on that level when he enjoyed a massive (real-world) size advantage over dudes who couldn't hurt him.

TL;DR: Ever see that 3-panel Peanuts strip about Charlie's greatest fear? The one about "Right now, I might be living up to my full potential?" That's Broner. This is who he is.

I've always backed Broner, stayed on the bandwagon when most ppl were long gone. I thought I saw something in the guy that made him special. I still do see a bit of something.

However, I think we saw in the last fight, that he clearly can't hold his own against the real special fighters in the sport. He's a talented "fighter", he can fight well in the pocket, coming forward, and is a very underrated inside fighter as well.

The Problem is (pun intended, sorry had to do it) his iq in the ring is just as bad as his iq outside the ring, i.e Dogshit. He can't "box" for shit, he tries to look like a boxer but doesn't have the smarts or skill to actually box. All of us who thought he had a good chance against Mikey, thought AB would walk him down with his size and power, force a fight. AB, however, is not smart, and tried to box, which he's just not good at.

He's pretty one dimensional and he'll never be what I and some others thought he would be. I finally accepted that. He's a fun fighter when hes not trying to be smarter than he is and try to do shit that he just can't do. Other than that he's a good fighter, above average, but nothing special like I once really thought he could be. He is what he is and what he is, is nothing special.

I'll still enjoy watching his fights but I'm officially bailing on the bandwagon, something I almost never do. Finally saw the light. He's just not a smart guy, in or out of the ring.

IHe can't "box" for shit, he tries to look like a boxer but doesn't have the smarts or skill to actually box. All of us who thought he had a good chance against Mikey, thought AB would walk him down with his size and power, force a fight. AB, however, is not smart, and tried to box, which he's just not good at.
If he'd actually done that from the beginning he would have at least made it competitive with some tough moments for Garcia and won a few rounds, and given the fans more entertainment. Instead he only started walking him down and finding more success around the 10th or whatever it was. Frustrating to watch. I think part of him being strong late in fights too is just that he takes a long time to figure shit out that he should have figured out in the opening.

The fact that many fight fans enjoy watching him get beaten cannot hurt his gatekeeper status.

He can also snatch the occasional belt from smaller guys. So while his career as a A-level wannabee is done, his career as a pro boxer is not.

If he'd actually done that from the beginning he would have at least made it competitive with some tough moments for Garcia and won a few rounds, and given the fans more entertainment. Instead he only started walking him down and finding more success around the 10th or whatever it was. Frustrating to watch. I think part of him being strong late in fights too is just that he takes a long time to figure shit out that he should have figured out in the opening.

AB is like that dude who's somehow a senior in hs but still takes almost all 8th grade level classes, while still thinking he can do calculus.

I see no problem with rapping but the rest, yes. He will likely end up in jail if he goes back to Cincinnati, if not he may end up okay.

There will always be guys he can beat and even guys he will look really good against. The question is if he's willing to take short money to fight easy competition or if he'll only want to fight big names for big money. At this point I'd say he's comparable to Chavez Jr actually. Big enough name to get fights and paydays but when the opponent is great he will undoubtedly get owned.

He's stepped up his competition to a world class level three times and he was humiliated every single time. You can come up with any excuses you want but in the end he was just never a great fighter. His best win was a split decision victory against Paulie for fucks sake. He doesn't hit hard enough to be a slugger. He doesn't throw enough punches to be a boxer and his defense is ass. His one saving grace was being able to have a huge weight advantage against his opponents but even that didn't make any difference in his last fight. He is pretty much a stepping stone at this point unless he wants to finish his career making small purses against nobodies.

Last edited:
If he is serious about keeping his weight down (big if, I know), it's not impossible to see him snatching up a title against a somewhat questionable opponent once Crawford moves up and all the JWW titles are vacated. Broner is still a decent JWW, he's just a very clear step below the best. I can't see him having any meaningful success at WW, though.
Dont think it will get any better for him against anyone relevant. Fully expect him to fall off even worse after the last fight.

Back