Is boxing in public legal?

kupo1

White Belt
Reaction score
A friend and I have been taking boxing classes for a few months now but can only afford to go twice a week. We really want to spar more often then that as we always have great, very productive sparring sessions and sometimes when we go to the class we dont even get a chance to spar.

The problem lies with the fact that we both live in apartments so as most people would just go at it in their backyard, that isn't as option for us. We did spar once last week in a public park early in the morning (w/protective equipment - headgear etc...) and it went great, but the only people who saw us (a few early morning joggers) slowed down stared at us with nervous looks as they ran by which concerned us but maybe we were just a little paranoid as nothing came of it.

If this had been later in the day though (as we wouldnt always be able to do it so early in the morning) we are afraid some soccer mom or an elderly person might be worried and call the cops; hence my original question.....are we even doing anything illegal? Would boxing in a park with full protective gear be considered a disturbance of the peace maybe? Also, any other suggestions or advice on where or how we could do this? thanks.

i really don't know if its legal or not......I sparr in public sometimes with my brother cause i did not want to drive to my gym...and cops have slowed to watch but never got out to say "you cant do that here"(i live a block away from a police station)

I am sure it would be different if we were waring no protective gear. since you guys are wearing protective equipment i am sure its no problem.

i really don't know if its legal or not......I sparr in public sometimes with my brother cause i did not want to drive to my gym...and cops have slowed to watch but never got out to say "you cant do that here"(i live a block away from a police station)

I am sure it would be different if we were waring no protective gear. since you guys are wearing protective equipment i am sure its no problem.

hmm, at first this was reassuring but then i saw you live in canada so it might be a little different there but maybe not i dunno, thanks for the reply, looking forward to more responses.

LOL i am not from a little town or anything, i am from a Big city.

LOL........it may be different up here.......but i really don't think so.

LOL i am not from a little town or anything, i am from a Big city.

LOL........it may be different up here.......but i really don't think so.

haha sorry, i just have a friend that lives up there and she says the police are very passive compared to ours, thats why i thought their reaction may be a little different.

Austin police having nothing better to do.

Wear protective gear and you should be fine. You may get a police drive by or have a conversation with the fuzz that a few people are annoyed at your activities, but this is America so have at it.

Be careful though, I've been at several informal meet ups where people have gotten hurt.

A friend and I have been taking boxing classes for a few months now but can only afford to go twice a week. We really want to spar more often then that as we always have great, very productive sparring sessions and sometimes when we go to the class we dont even get a chance to spar.

The problem lies with the fact that we both live in apartments so as most people would just go at it in their backyard, that isn't as option for us. We did spar once last week in a public park early in the morning (w/protective equipment - headgear etc...) and it went great, but the only people who saw us (a few early morning joggers) slowed down stared at us with nervous looks as they ran by which concerned us but maybe we were just a little paranoid as nothing came of it.

If this had been later in the day though (as we wouldnt always be able to do it so early in the morning) we are afraid some soccer mom or an elderly person might be worried and call the cops; hence my original question.....are we even doing anything illegal? Would boxing in a park with full protective gear be considered a disturbance of the peace maybe? Also, any other suggestions or advice on where or how we could do this? thanks.

That's a good question.

I don't really have any official knowledge on the subject, but i'd be surprised if you got hit with any charges. I think a lot of it may depend on how sensitive your neighborhood is, because I doubt many parents would enjoy seeing two guys punching each other in an area where thier kids go to play.

If I were you, i'd look into a it bit, because if the joggers didn't seem too keen on it, chances are you're in a neighborhood where someone will file a complaint. Whether or not the police give you a warning or charge you with something, I don't know. Why risk it though?

I'd just find a private place to do it. If you opt to regulary spar on the sidewalk or anywhere in public your bound to draw unwanted attention to yourselves.

Especially in a lower middle class neighborhood. People are irritable and take offense to that kind of thing, and just a matter of time someones gonna come looking to beat your ass.

sparring is not something for the public. If you can't find privacy I wouldn't bother. It's not a normal activity and people will gawk, and if you do it on someone's propersty they'll bitch about how they are liable if you get hurt. People don't know how to mind their own business, either in public or a gym. But in public you will get drunks, wanna bees messing with you,, tough guys who give you the eye and people who tell you to be careful. Sparring in many gyms ain't bmuch better, it's so fake it's useless or you get one guy who can't control himself. It's difficult situation.

na its not illegal only frownd upon really, well at least where im from, my class twice a week trains on the beach, people might stare but we havent been questioned once, cops have watched also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavy
Back