is BJJ the answer for me?

ProfessorQue

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here to the thread. And I was wondering if BJJ is the answer for me? I just turned 25 not too long ago. I'm 5'7, 170 lbs.

I was recently in an altercation against someone bigger than me and I got wrecked pretty bad in front of some of my friends. It was embarrassing for me and I told myself that I never wanted that to happen again. I'm usually the smaller guy no matter where I am, and that altercation was pretty humiliating for me.

So I'm wondering if BJJ would really help me in that instance? Also, what are some of the other benefits of training BJJ? Thanks guys!

It's pretty hard to beat BJJ for a one on one altercation. Then again, training BJJ until you get good means getting wrecked for years. So you can't really escape getting your ass kicked. Then by the time you get good, you'll probably have matured enough that you would just walk away anyway.

As above, BJJ is very good for one-on-one challenge type fights. Add some boxing or Muay Thai and you're really going to give people problems. Lots of BJJ gyms offer striking classes too, often for no extra charge.

You do have to wonder if all that training is worth it though, just to get the better of some dude when you can probably avoid it in the first place. So the best thing would be to go to some trial classes and see if you enjoy it. You'll only keep at it if you like it. And you'll only get good enough if you keep at it.

But if you do, then a year from now, you'd be a significantly harder person to beat down - a real threat. Knowing even just a little bit of striking really helps IMO. You can start off standing and striking and might even win from that alone as most people can't even throw a punch other than haymakers and have a LOT of trouble hitting someone who knows how to move properly. I'm not talking elite boxing skills, just how to stand, jab, cross, block, slip a bit. At that point most larger guys will try to grapple you as they instinctively feel their size will be a bigger advantage. Then they fall into your cunning plan! LOL.

Might be, but will take some time in order to be useful.
Learning how to throw a punch can not hurt either.

Also, what are some of the other benefits of training BJJ?

The best friends I could possibly want and some of the best people I've ever met all came from training. A lot of people lucky enough to find good schools will tell you similar stories. IMO there's a special comradery that comes from training BJJ that I've not found in any other training environment.

It may, get striking in as well, so you'll know how to deal with getting hit. You don;t want to get shutdown being overwhelmed by strikes.

Worse case, start carrying or get better friends who'll watch your back when some jagoff is wailing on you.

Benefits to training BJJ? Cardio, health, an active lifestyle. Self-confidence once you get the hang of it. You will be pretty confident surviving, and even winning against other trained people. Bear in mind it takes time, this doesn't happen overnight, maybe even a few years in.

I've been in combat sports for a bit now, and didn't really start feeling real confident until I started competing regularly.

I agree with the others that say do BJJ and striking also. It will make it better for you to deal with someone throwing punches at you. Most of the times you see people who don't train fight they just throw really crazy punches. You need to know how it feels to get hit in the face.

you're 25, probably shouldn't be fighting in teh streetz anymore

but yes, bjj will give you confidence IF you can make it past the first couple years

....get better friends who'll watch your back when some jagoff is wailing on you.

This is what is the larger problem here, never mind self-defense, ask why you're getting your ass whipped in front of your friends and they're not helping you?

Bodybuilding > bjj for self defence.

Though at the higher levels they get confused.

Get a combative blue belt from Gracie online because they teach the real Gracie jiu jitsu and they train for the streets.
You can do the exam online and no need to go to a real gym.

They teach you how to fight with strikes unlike Bjj which just sport oriented.

It can help, but you have to make it work for yourself.

Don't get into fights anymore dummy. That s the answer. Bjj isn't the end all be all. You join up at my gym for the explicit reason for getting into stupid fights and you'll get your ass whooped and bounced. Also, get new friends.

Don't get into fights anymore dummy. That s the answer. Bjj isn't the end all be all. You join up at my gym for the explicit reason for getting into stupid fights and you'll get your ass whooped and bounced. Also, get new friends.
Okay first of all, I wasn't going looking for a fight. I tried to talk to the guy and let em know I didn't want to fight, and he grabbed me anyway. So relax. This isn't about my friends. This is me trying to prepare for unexpected moments, sort of like the one that led me here to the forums in the first place. Thanks.

It's pretty hard to beat BJJ for a one on one altercation. Then again, training BJJ until you get good means getting wrecked for years. So you can't really escape getting your ass kicked. Then by the time you get good, you'll probably have matured enough that you would just walk away anyway.
This. You'll have enough confidence to walk away.
And what if you decided to train for year but still got wrecked with a lucky haymaker, you would definitely think all those hard trainings are pretty useless.

Hi guys, I'm new here to the thread. And I was wondering if BJJ is the answer for me? I just turned 25 not too long ago. I'm 5'7, 170 lbs.

I was recently in an altercation against someone bigger than me and I got wrecked pretty bad in front of some of my friends. It was embarrassing for me and I told myself that I never wanted that to happen again. I'm usually the smaller guy no matter where I am, and that altercation was pretty humiliating for me.

So I'm wondering if BJJ would really help me in that instance? Also, what are some of the other benefits of training BJJ? Thanks guys!

Self defense BJJ is great-- you need to practice practice practice. Or else you won't be able to apply the movement that is BJJ. BJJ/fighting is a dynamic movement, not a set of moves.

Sport BJJ will help you too in a sense of higher learning with people who know how to counter you. Yes BJJ IS FOR YOU!

This is what is the larger problem here, never mind self-defense, ask why you're getting your ass whipped in front of your friends and they're not helping you?

I have a feeling the fight was probably with a 'quasi-friend' then some complete stranger because his friends would have helped out.

Back